Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2020, 02:39 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sigma APO 150-500mm DG OS HSM focusing issue?

I just received this lens today used (of course) and tried it out in the back yard with my K-70. The first thing I noticed is that the AF seems to have a clicking noise (note that I have the OS off) and seems to cog through the distance settings in distinct steps. It also had a lot of trouble achieving focus (though the poor light conditions might have been a contributor). Switching to MF, it works fine and the focus ring turns smoothly.

For those that have this lens, is this AF clicking and focus stepping normal? I have a couple of newer Sigma lenses with HSM and their AF is quiet, accurate and smooth.

So did I get a defective lens?

10-23-2020, 03:04 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cdw2000 Quote
I just received this lens today used (of course) and tried it out in the back yard with my K-70. The first thing I noticed is that the AF seems to have a clicking noise (note that I have the OS off) and seems to cog through the distance settings in distinct steps. It also had a lot of trouble achieving focus (though the poor light conditions might have been a contributor). Switching to MF, it works fine and the focus ring turns smoothly.

For those that have this lens, is this AF clicking and focus stepping normal? I have a couple of newer Sigma lenses with HSM and their AF is quiet, accurate and smooth.

I've had this lens for a bit over a year now and it doesn't have a clicking sound and smoothly focuses, not in steps, so I'd consider returning it since it doesn't seem to be normal.

My major observation is that the focus speed is slower than I expected compared to my Sigma 70-200, but it is a bigger and heavier lens so I attribute the speed difference to the size and weight of the optics.

Good luck.

Last edited by OldPentaxFan; 10-23-2020 at 03:06 PM. Reason: corrected spelling
10-23-2020, 03:15 PM   #3
Pentaxian

What I do with my Sigma 150-500 DG OS for Pentax lens is set the OS to off on the lens, as it seems you have done, and I also make sure the SR on my Pentax camera is set to ON. If the clicking is happening, you may want to make sure everything is OFF on the lens, then for example you can turn on ON each lens setting, then OFF again to see what happens when each of those settings is OFF or ON. Make sure that you only try one at a time to see what happens. If no click happens when the individual settings are on, then you can try the combination of the AF and OS on at the same time to see what happens.

My lens usually focuses well in reasonable light, otherwise it may struggle a bit in lower light. When focusing on a subject, I may adjust the barrel so that it is at the length I need, then try focusing on a subject that has reasonable contrast to test it. If I were you I would try focusing it on a subject with contrast such as a sign or a leaf/flower that has some sort of features on it. Also I use AF.C (continuous AF) usually on my camera for focus when I use my 150-500. You will not know if the lens has faulty AF unless you test in reasonable light with a subject as I already explained. If the AF motor has failed, then the AF will not perform normally. I have not experienced that, but I did have a failure of my OS on the lens, so I just use the SR on my Pentax camera and it is not a problem. Possibly another user that has had an AF failure can distinguish if the click is associated with the AF motor failure or not.

I would also recommend returning the lens if you have that option if it does continue to fail to focus on an ongoing basis. If you continue to have the problem, you may want to contact the seller as soon as possible and explain the difficulty you are having with the lens.

Good luck.

Last edited by C_Jones; 10-23-2020 at 03:24 PM.
10-23-2020, 03:31 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Is the lens correctly identified in EXIF? The 150-500 is one of the Sigma lenses that used a generic LensID at some point in production.

10-23-2020, 03:33 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OldPentaxFan Quote
I've had this lens for a bit over a year now and it doesn't have a clicking sound and smoothly focuses, not in steps, so I'd consider returning it since it doesn't seem to be normal.

My major observation is that the focus speed is slower than I expected compared to my Sigma 70-200, but it is a bigger and heavier lens so I attribute the speed difference to the size and weight of the optics.

Good luck.
My experience exactly
10-23-2020, 03:58 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
What I do with my Sigma 150-500 DG OS for Pentax lens is set the OS to off on the lens, as it seems you have done, and I also make sure the SR on my Pentax camera is set to ON. If the clicking is happening, you may want to make sure everything is OFF on the lens, then for example you can turn on ON each lens setting, then OFF again to see what happens when each of those settings is OFF or ON. Make sure that you only try one at a time to see what happens. If no click happens when the individual settings are on, then you can try the combination of the AF and OS on at the same time to see what happens.

My lens usually focuses well in reasonable light, otherwise it may struggle a bit in lower light. When focusing on a subject, I may adjust the barrel so that it is at the length I need, then try focusing on a subject that has reasonable contrast to test it. If I were you I would try focusing it on a subject with contrast such as a sign or a leaf/flower that has some sort of features on it. Also I use AF.C (continuous AF) usually on my camera for focus when I use my 150-500. You will not know if the lens has faulty AF unless you test in reasonable light with a subject as I already explained. If the AF motor has failed, then the AF will not perform normally. I have not experienced that, but I did have a failure of my OS on the lens, so I just use the SR on my Pentax camera and it is not a problem. Possibly another user that has had an AF failure can distinguish if the click is associated with the AF motor failure or not.

I would also recommend returning the lens if you have that option if it does continue to fail to focus on an ongoing basis. If you continue to have the problem, you may want to contact the seller as soon as possible and explain the difficulty you are having with the lens.

Good luck.
I am certain that the OS is off and the clicking is coming from the AF. It sounds like I got a defective lens. I put an inquiry in to Sigma as well.
10-23-2020, 04:18 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I haven't had mine in a few years (sold it off), but my memory is that of a clicking noise subtle but it was there. I remember that it was when the OS was on the Sigma. But...memory can be a bit fuzzy on this.

10-23-2020, 04:36 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I am certain that the OS is off and the clicking is coming from the AF. It sounds like I got a defective lens. I put an inquiry in to Sigma as well.
I would recommend that you alert the seller to the problem, and that you return it. You will most likely have other options in the future, and you would not want to bother to take the chance of having to keep it and just experience failure after failure. One time I purchased a 50-500 and the focus was almost dead slow. I immediately contacted the seller and returned it.

So, as I said, contact the seller, get a return of your cash and save it for a real reliable lens that you can enjoy.

Have a nice weekend.
10-23-2020, 04:51 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
I would recommend that you alert the seller to the problem, and that you return it. You will most likely have other options in the future, and you would not want to bother to take the chance of having to keep it and just experience failure after failure. One time I purchased a 50-500 and the focus was almost dead slow. I immediately contacted the seller and returned it.

So, as I said, contact the seller, get a return of your cash and save it for a real reliable lens that you can enjoy.

Have a nice weekend.
I did just send a message to the seller. He claims a 2 month warranty, so we will see if he is willing to pay to get it fixed or just offer a refund.
10-23-2020, 07:50 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
My experience exactly
Same here have both 150-500 and 70-200. No noises from either
10-24-2020, 01:39 AM   #11

mount replacement

Hi,

I sent in my Sigma 150-500 and 70-200 to Sigma after service because I was having similar issues on my k3. After the mount replacement and firmware update, it was like getting two new lenses back. They both operated much more smoothly when focusing. I believe that the replacement service is on hold due to the Covid 19 situation, but it may be what you need.

Cheers,
Mikkel
10-24-2020, 08:37 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikkel128 Quote
Hi,

I sent in my Sigma 150-500 and 70-200 to Sigma after service because I was having similar issues on my k3. After the mount replacement and firmware update, it was like getting two new lenses back. They both operated much more smoothly when focusing. I believe that the replacement service is on hold due to the Covid 19 situation, but it may be what you need.

Cheers,
Mikkel
Mikkel128, by similar issues, do you mean you had the clicking sound with the AF on the 150-500mm lens?
10-24-2020, 01:50 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I did just send a message to the seller. He claims a 2 month warranty, so we will see if he is willing to pay to get it fixed or just offer a refund.
Whatever is easiest. It looks like you are taking the right path to a solution. When you know your options you can decide.

Good luck.
10-26-2020, 03:31 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
An update: The lens will be going back to the seller for a refund. :-)