Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
10-29-2020, 01:32 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I think maybe he went and bought a KP?
I am quite aware that many K30/50/500/70 etc.-users use just AUTO mode, a mode which "happened to me" by sheer accident, but I grew up with manual only.

A K5II produces somehow better photos than the K5 in AUTO, this I know because a person I know started like that, was quite good in composing but of course it is a terrible limitation and possibly smartphones can produce better AUTO photos, but I have zero experience on that "field".

The K20D was one of the worst in AUTO, its JPEG engine was terrible.

I would have no idea how the K3 behaves in AUTO.

So a KP might be as much that step better as was the K5II compared to the K5?
And yet pearls ....

10-29-2020, 07:13 AM - 1 Like   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I think maybe he went and bought a KP?
Good thought. After all, their actual request was for advice on which camera to buy since their Pentax K-3II cameras (K20D and K-3) have has never taken photos with any punch. (Yes, same problems with the K20D.) I would suggest something from Canon (traditionally punchy default JPEG) or Fuji (could use Velvia film emulation).

Edit: My mistake. In older posts, OP was happy with the K20D.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-29-2020 at 10:17 AM.
10-29-2020, 11:49 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
I agree about the colours, but my example needs either -3 or -7 EV compensation to give RAW results that I find easy to work with in PP, especially in landscape work. Probably just sample variation.
Could be sample variance, however I am referring to JPEG results right out of the camera- no PP.

---------- Post added 10-29-20 at 12:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
The K20D was one of the worst in AUTO, its JPEG engine was terrible.
Yes it was. I avoid setting the mode dial to AUTO. You lose all control, and virtually all adjustments are unavailable. When shooting JPEG images, for me it is only useful for handing the camera to another person temporarily to take a shot with you in it, so if they accidentally hit a control they don't ruin the effort completely. By using the P mode instead, there is still fully automated exposure of both shutter speed and aperture, but full controls and adjustments are available, including the Pentax Hyper System. I found I could compensate for the K20D's shortcomings of its JPEG engine satisfactorily by going into the Custom Image menus to make some adjustments. With the AUTO mode, you don't even know for sure which Custom Image processing the camera will select!

The K-5's JPEG engine was by miles superior over the K20D. I am still very much fond of my K-5 IIs. The KP's JPEG engine is excellent- the best ever. But even with it I still set up "Fine Sharpening" in the Custom Image menus, especially in the "Bright" and"Natural" categories. Pentax goes rather conservative in various factors, I guess to leave headroom for post processing if desired. But I think it is great that adjustments can be made with those in-camera menus.

---------- Post added 10-29-20 at 12:31 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
but I grew up with manual only.
Yep- me too. Back then that's all there was. An SLR camera had no autofocus, no auto anything. But at least you had control. The "Brownie" point-and-shoot camera most people used, was just a box with a film advance mechanism, a fixed-aperture single FL lens, all preset, and instructions for which film to use for a bright or a cloudy day, and that your subject had to be at xx feet distance or more. If in lower light, you could attach a flash bulb, after firing which would be burnt out and discarded!

Last edited by mikesbike; 10-29-2020 at 12:39 PM.
10-29-2020, 02:26 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Sorry, Mike, I misunderstood - I only ever shoot RAW, except on rare occasions like firework displays, where I want to be able to shoot in bursts, and even then I do not use 'Auto', but that well-known substitute for experience - 'Guesswork' !

10-09-2021, 05:02 AM   #20

Original Poster
Late-late reply.
Sorry to have kept you waiting. Thanks for all the comments. I didn't think it worth while to trouble you with boring pictures,
In the meantime I have got rid of most of my old lenses. The present set-up is DA 40/2.8, DA 50/1.8, DA 70/2.4 which I am thinking of selling, D FA 100mm WR macro and F70-210mm.
This may have solved some problems, but not all.
10-10-2021, 04:44 AM - 2 Likes   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by maxgroebel Quote
Hi,
Stupid Queston #2: I bought my K3II about three years ago, but we have never become friends. I was rather happy with my old K20D, and the only reason I bought it was that I wanted a video capability, which the K3II has. But I find that pictures are often grey and drab, in particular in low light. (Could be the lenses of course, but should they be better on K20D?). There is often some haze (could be the lenses of course). I have posted a couple of questions about that in the past. question The contrast is worse, and the colours are generally less vivid, even if I change the colour scheme (normally landscape). And then it is easy to graze the buttons and change the colour scheme unintentionally. So, I sometimes feel I should get rid of the K3II and get another camera. Question is: Which one?
I have never used the GPS, I rarely need flash, built in or otherwise.
Max .
Max

Your problem will be entirely in settings and how you use the camera, I doubt changing anything (lenses, new body etc) will improve the situation.

Without seeing photos and the Exif data it is hard to help, but looking for different gear will not be the solution.
10-10-2021, 07:00 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I absolutely agree with Lowell here. The gear is more than good enough - it's either the settings or the processing that will give you what you want.