Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
10-25-2020, 02:45 PM   #1

Stupid question 2: A better camera

Hi,
Stupid Queston #2: I bought my K3II about three years ago, but we have never become friends. I was rather happy with my old K20D, and the only reason I bought it was that I wanted a video capability, which the K3II has. But I find that pictures are often grey and drab, in particular in low light. (Could be the lenses of course, but should they be better on K20D?). There is often some haze (could be the lenses of course). I have posted a couple of questions about that in the past. question The contrast is worse, and the colours are generally less vivid, even if I change the colour scheme (normally landscape). And then it is easy to graze the buttons and change the colour scheme unintentionally. So, I sometimes feel I should get rid of the K3II and get another camera. Question is: Which one?
I have never used the GPS, I rarely need flash, built in or otherwise.
Max .

10-25-2020, 03:22 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wait for the K-new release. With luck that will be before year end.

On the other hand I cannot but think that there is something wrong with your settings on the K-3II. I have both K-3II and K-1II and both are capable of colorful excellent images even in low light. You might want to check the settings and see what is going on.

That said, life is too short to have gear that you don't like. Pentax has other bodies and there are of course other makers as well.
10-25-2020, 03:34 PM   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd second the above request - some examples of K-3 shots would be useful...
10-25-2020, 03:42 PM   #4
Pentaxian

You have to decide what exactly you want from the camera. The choice is large and for any money. However, having a good video narrows the search down a lot. I have two pentax cameras, but I will not invest in new cameras. Due to the high price of lenses. Lenses that I think are good. As for the colors, now it all depends on the post processing. By the way, what lenses do you use? A lot depends on this too. I don't like lenses from the film era, because of poor contrast and color. Or another option, they see themselves differently on different cameras.

10-25-2020, 04:25 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by maxgroebel Quote
Hi,
Stupid Queston #2: I bought my K3II about three years ago, but we have never become friends. I was rather happy with my old K20D, and the only reason I bought it was that I wanted a video capability, which the K3II has. But I find that pictures are often grey and drab, in particular in low light. (Could be the lenses of course, but should they be better on K20D?). There is often some haze (could be the lenses of course). I have posted a couple of questions about that in the past. question The contrast is worse, and the colours are generally less vivid, even if I change the colour scheme (normally landscape). And then it is easy to graze the buttons and change the colour scheme unintentionally. So, I sometimes feel I should get rid of the K3II and get another camera. Question is: Which one?
I have never used the GPS, I rarely need flash, built in or otherwise.
Max .

That is strange, my experience with the K-3 has been pretty much the opposite. That said, your experience is your experience and not mine .

Probably the best advice I can give is to shoot RAW (DNG or PEF). That will free you from the camera's JPEG processing and allow full control of managing colors and curves. A second hint might be to tell the camera to not remember its custom image setting from one session to the next. Yes, those only apply to in-camera JPEG, but they do affect the previews we see on the rear LCD and with many software image browsers. (menu --> Rec Mode 4 --> Memory).

Oh...and yes...It could be your selection of lenses. What are you using?

Steve
10-26-2020, 12:32 AM - 2 Likes   #6

Have you tried changing the White Balance from 'Auto White Balance' to 'Multi Auto White Balance'. You will be surprised how much better it looks.
10-26-2020, 01:05 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A couple of random thoughts:

1. Maybe the sensor needs to be cleaned?
2. If you haven't done a lot of setting customizations, you could try a factory reset of the camera. If you do have a lot setting customizations, write them down before doing the reset.

Like stevebrot said, a K3II should be able to produce excellent images, unless there is something wrong (broken) in the circuitry.

10-27-2020, 07:22 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K20D, which I bought new years ago and still have but only occasionally use, is notable for very saturated colors. It also tends to underexpose by at least 1/2 stop. Since you say you are using the "Landscape" category among the Custom Image processing for JPEG images out of the camera? Try a different category with the K-3 II (perhaps the "Bright" setting?) and/or you can go into the menu of the category and adjust color saturation to your liking. I also recommend to adjust Sharpening by implementing "Fine Sharpening" using your thumb dial. The sharpening level might be at normal in "Landscape" compared to being up by +1 as default in "Bright", which you can bring upward in "Landscape" to be the same.
10-28-2020, 03:44 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
The K20D, which I bought new years ago and still have but only occasionally use, is notable for very saturated colors. It also tends to underexpose by at least 1/2 stop. <snip>
I agree about the colours, but my example needs either -3 or -7 EV compensation to give RAW results that I find easy to work with in PP, especially in landscape work. Probably just sample variation.
10-28-2020, 04:03 AM - 3 Likes   #10
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

wouldn't it be nice if Max came back and answered our questions, showed some examples, etc?
10-28-2020, 06:03 AM - 1 Like   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
wouldn't it be nice if Max came back and answered our questions, showed some examples, etc?
I did some past posts look-see and Max seems to average about three posts a year in the years that they post and went over quota with this thread. Based on past pattern, they may circle back, thank us for our responses and restate their frustration or perhaps not.

Steve
10-28-2020, 04:36 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I tend these days to look at a poster's time on the site and number of posts, to see if it worth wearing out my keyboard with a response.
10-28-2020, 05:03 PM - 1 Like   #13
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I tend these days to look at a poster's time on the site and number of posts, to see if it worth wearing out my keyboard with a response.

agreed - I employ a similar algorithm to keep my 'ignored' list populated...
10-28-2020, 05:33 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

I always thought I'd keep my K20D as a back up, however, after a couple of years, I tried it on a slow day. I sold it a few weeks later. I'e ben shooting my K-3 or 5 yers now.... I have no complaints.

My only thought to your complaint is get some decent post processing software.
10-28-2020, 06:54 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think maybe he went and bought a KP?

Last edited by mikesbike; 10-28-2020 at 08:11 PM.