Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-26-2020, 03:17 AM   #1

Super long exposures shots

K 3 II ,Are there any special setting needed to be turned on or off when shooting with a ND filter. I was doing a 34 minute shot and it timed out after 2 minutes 17 seconds I am thinking it is a short in my remote Intervalometer. Not the camera itself. But thought I would touch base just to double check.

Thanks, Richard

Last edited by Richard B 13; 10-26-2020 at 11:04 AM.
10-26-2020, 05:43 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I do long shots all the time for astrophotography. Make sure that your intervalometer is good and that you're in bulb mode. With the 2:17 it wouldn't have been in timed bulb mode, so that shouldn't be a problem. Also, make sure that your intervalometer is seated good.
10-26-2020, 08:50 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cover the viewfinder. Shots that long will get light through the viewfinder enough to ruin it.
10-26-2020, 09:43 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Make sure your camera batteries are fully charged - current is drawn all the while the exposure is being made and if they run out, end of the exposure. You didn't mention the model of your camera which would also help answer the question.

10-26-2020, 11:04 AM   #5

Original Poster
K3 ii

---------- Post added 10-26-20 at 02:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I do long shots all the time for astrophotography. Make sure that your intervalometer is good and that you're in bulb mode. With the 2:17 it wouldn't have been in timed bulb mode, so that shouldn't be a problem. Also, make sure that your intervalometer is seated good.
Yes I was in Bulb and I do believe it was the intervalometer short I just got another one wireless.
10-26-2020, 03:04 PM   #6
Pentaxian

This may be information you already know, but I will mention it anyway.

I also cover my viewfinder as has been mentioned already, and as has been said it keeps the light from entering the camera which may overexpose the shot. I use the end of a black sock that I cut off for a cover. I also usually use Manual or Bulb mode for long exposure shots with my ND filter(s), depending on the time I need for the shot and/or filter density.
11-04-2020, 12:11 PM   #7
scc
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mmmm
Unless the viewfinder is heavily illuminated, the mirror up should prevent light to enter the mirror box and impact the sensor. The metering system is not used in astrophotography, bulb mode is needed.

11-04-2020, 12:59 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by scc Quote
Unless the viewfinder is heavily illuminated, the mirror up should prevent light to enter the mirror box and impact the sensor.
"Should" but it doesn't. I did a test of this some years ago and posted it here. On long exposures light does cause streaks and inaccurate exposure if the viewfinder is not covered. In astrophotography its not an issue because its dark out. Shooting long exposure waterfalls or other daylight long exposures you need to cover the viewfinder.