Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-29-2020, 02:08 PM   #1

Adjusting ISO, WB, drive, etc on a KP

I've recently upgraded from a K50 to a KP.

When I try to adjust the white balance, for example, I need to put the camera into live view before the screen shows the options. I didn't need to do that on my K50 as I just pressed one of the 4 buttons around the OK button and the screen changed.

The manual just says to have the camera in standby and doesn't mention putting it into live view first.

Is this just how it is done on the KP or is there some sort of fault?

Thanks

10-29-2020, 03:03 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by colinkp Quote
Possibly you just need to turn on the rear screen. Press the INFO button (twice?) and may give you the options
10-29-2020, 03:03 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Your KP may have gone into sleep mode, to wake it up press the shutter 1/2 way. You should then be able to press the buttons and pull up your setting..
There's also a setting for turning off the rear screen, that may have been set to do so.
10-29-2020, 04:44 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Another possibility is that the directional pad is defaulting to adjusting the focus point. I don't have a kp, but for both pentax cameras I've had there was a custom setting on what is the initial behavior. I think on the kp you press ok to toggle between the dpad changing focus point and wb etc?

10-29-2020, 11:50 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

:)

KP is different from K-50.

1) I recommend shoot in RAWs (==> no need to deal with ISO)

2) To change the role of the 4-way controller, look at C18 menu. Type2 is much more useful, IMO.

3) To change functionality of the 4-way controller, map "Change AF Area" either to Fx1 or Fx2 button (Button customization).
10-30-2020, 03:51 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cport Quote
I recommend shoot in RAWs (==> no need to deal with ISO)
ISO is an important setting whether one shoots raw or not.

Unless the OP wants to start learning how to process raw images, I do not think suggesting he uses raw is a good one. I think you meant to say that shooting in raw means that the WB can be applied later. This is true but is an over simplification of what shooting raw is all about.
10-30-2020, 04:33 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Long press the OK button on the directional pad to toggle back and forth between functions. You can set the defaults for the directional pad in Live View and OVF, independently. That's why it worked differently for you in Live View vs OVF.

10-30-2020, 04:49 AM   #8
Pentaxian

:)

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
ISO is an important setting whether one shoots raw or not.

Unless the OP wants to start learning how to process raw images, I do not think suggesting he uses raw is a good one. I think you meant to say that shooting in raw means that the WB can be applied later. This is true but is an over simplification of what shooting raw is all about.
Sure, you are right. I wanted to write WB and not ISO

---------- Post added 10-30-20 at 04:49 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
Long press the OK button on the directional pad to toggle back and forth between functions. You can set the defaults for the directional pad in Live View and OVF, independently. That's why it worked differently for you in Live View vs OVF.
Can you use long press OK button in the OVF mode?
10-30-2020, 05:02 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the OP's problem is the rear screen is turned off when in viewfinder mode. He just needs to change that setting.
10-30-2020, 08:30 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cport Quote
Can you use long press OK button in the OVF mode?
Yes, but based on your latest question I think that pschlute might be right. Are you seeing any status information on your screen when in OVF mode? If it's all black (off), press info twice and select another status screen.
10-30-2020, 12:29 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No need to go into live view, this is because the focus point is set to SELECT

Go away from select or use FX2 to toggle between SELECT or ISO WB etc.
10-30-2020, 12:56 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

He just needs to activate the rear screen guys. Please stop complicating things.
10-30-2020, 01:11 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum! Congratulations on getting your KP. I've had mine for several months now and love it. The rear display can be configured to show the status screen (most useful IMO), electronic level, or be turned off to save battery life. With the camera turned on, press the info button once or twice until you see these options. If you select 'status screen', the rear display will show many of the camera's settings and let you change them from here. (This page can be customized if you want to show the settings you adjust most often.) With the status screen enabled, press the info button twice to return to the standby screen. On this screen you will either see a representation of the four-way controller and its labels (if the camera AF is set to single-point or 27 point AF), or either

1. A circle with small squares inside that represent the 9 point AF mode or the moveable AF selection point mode. The four-way controller buttons move these points.
2. A representation of the four-way controller and its labels.
A long press of the OK button toggles between 1 and 2 above. As long as the four-way controller and its labels are showing on the standby screen, the controller buttons are active, and will let you control WB, ISO, etc.

All this becomes second nature after a while. You may want to consider getting Yvon Bourque's Pentax KP guidebook, which makes a nice companion to the user manual. It has extra tips and tricks. Go to the donations page and scroll down to see its listing.

PentaxForums.com PayPal Donations

Last edited by Apet-Sure; 10-30-2020 at 01:24 PM.
10-30-2020, 05:13 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by colinkp Quote
I've recently upgraded from a K50 to a KP.

When I try to adjust the white balance, for example, I need to put the camera into live view before the screen shows the options. I didn't need to do that on my K50 as I just pressed one of the 4 buttons around the OK button and the screen changed.

The manual just says to have the camera in standby and doesn't mention putting it into live view first.

Thanks
I am wondering, did you purchase your KP used? I've been using mine for over two years and have never experienced this issue.

---------- Post added 10-30-20 at 05:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
He just needs to activate the rear screen guys. Please stop complicating things.
I'm thinking this must be the case. The camera comes new with the rear screen activated when not in LV. I have never turned my rear screen off to extend battery charge or for any other reason. The display comes on immediately after turning the camera on. The buttons for ISO adjustment, etc are right there on the back of the camera, and using the appropriate button brings up the menu for those adjustments. It is all very quick and easy. Unless the mode dial is set to the Manual mode, the ISO screen also allows to either have automatic ISO setting by the camera, and you can set the ISO range for this, or you can switch to manual ISO so you can then set your own choice.

Incidentally- to the OP:
I strongly recommend not having your mode dial set to "AUTO" as this will disallow making most adjustments and will make many controls unavailable. It will also deny access to the wonderful, exclusive Pentax Hyper System. Use the "P" (Program) setting instead for fully automatic operation of shutter speed and aperture for proper exposure. Then, the Hyper System is activated, so you can override the camera's choice of shutter speed or aperture just by selecting your own choice by simply using the thumb or finger dials, without having to change the mode dial to Tv or Av first before making your selection. Then you can restore full automation to "P" with a touch of the green button.

If shooting high-quality JPEG images right out of the camera, the KP's processor is exceptional for excellent results. Just be sure to implement "Fine Sharpening" in the Custom Image menus, especially in the most often-used "Bright" setting. To access, use the "info" button for the quick access menus. At that point, the 4 buttons around "ok" are for navigation. If running into any problem doing this or for any other issue, don't hesitate to ask.

Last edited by mikesbike; 10-30-2020 at 05:52 PM.
10-31-2020, 02:12 PM - 1 Like   #15

Original Poster
The camera was purchased from MPB second hand recently with about 970 shots on it. I've owned Pentax cameras from their very first auto focus model in the 1980's.

I upgraded from a K50 as I fancied trying astro photography but hadn't realised that I need the separate GPS unit so am hoping that Santa isn't on furlough.

Rogerstg got it right. When I long press the OK button the different menus are displayed without me having to go into Live View.

I will work my way though some of your suggestions as well as read over the manual again.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to everyone. Much appreciated.