Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2020, 05:59 PM   #1

HELP!!! K50 older lenses compatibility

Folks, I am in need of serious help in getting usable images from my K50.
As I posted recently, in a question concerning bird photography, I am new to the forum, and I quite some time ago bought the K50 to able to use older Pentax lenses from my film camera days.
The lenses are a 50 and 70-210 SMC-A, a 28 SMC-F, and a 100 SMC-M.
My intent was to learn to use the set up in totally manual mode. I could never get correct exposures, got frustrated, and put the camera aside; the set-up just acted "weird".
Every once and awhile I'll give it another go. Today I decided to try the simplest thing possible, shoot in Auto Mode with the 50 lens. It was bright and sunny out, and I took it for some shots in the backyard. No go. Using the eyepiece viewfinder, on review I was getting totally black images. Using the live viewing screen monitor, I get an image upon review, but way dark and under exposed.
When the camera is first turned on, as should be with the A lens, I pick and OK the 50 mm lens length on the view screen.
The side switch is on MF, as this lens does not autofocus. The lens is set to "A" on the lens f stop ring, per the manual.
Mode is Auto.
I hope this is user error, what I am doing wrong??? I hope it is not the camera body, as I've had it too long for warranty I would believe.
To say I am frustrated with this set up is a huge understatement.
At this point it is totally unusable, and nothing more than a somewhat expensive paper weight.
Any insight would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 
11-02-2020, 06:08 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Given that the camera appears to recognize the lens, this could be an aperture block failure. Here's how to test for that:

Dark exposure problems on K-30 or K-50? Discussion Thread - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-02-2020, 11:13 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Don’t you have to set the aperture manually? How does that work on “A”? I wonder if you shoot with a stopped down lens. Try setting different apertures on the ring with manual mode and same shutter speed and ISO.
Idk about the above mentioned failure, but you should be able to get useable photos in fully manual operation.
11-02-2020, 11:32 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mixalis_kalymnos1611 Quote
Don’t you have to set the aperture manually? How does that work on “A”? I wonder if you shoot with a stopped down lens. Try setting different apertures on the ring with manual mode and same shutter speed and ISO.
Idk about the above mentioned failure, but you should be able to get useable photos in fully manual operation.
In A mode the lens aperture is controlled by the body. This is fundamental to Pentax A series lenses and newer. They are used wide open for metering and then stopped down.

If the aperture block isn't working the camera can be used in manual aperture mode. Let's let the OP test and get back to us.

11-02-2020, 11:54 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
In A mode the lens aperture is controlled by the body. This is fundamental to Pentax A series lenses and newer. They are used wide open for metering and then stopped down.

If the aperture block isn't working the camera can be used in manual aperture mode. Let's let the OP test and get back to us.
Of course, my bad (lack of info).
11-03-2020, 08:19 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mixalis_kalymnos1611 Quote
Of course, my bad (lack of info).
No worries.
11-03-2020, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The good news is that - even if it should be a sign of the dreaded aperture block failure - all your lenses have an aperture ring. You can still use all the lenses, but sadly not on the "A" setting any more, you'll have to use the aperture ring to set the aperture directly on the lens (instead of setting it in camera). Metering - measuring how much light is in your scene - takes a button press more that way, but you can still use the camera and lenses to produce pictures. See Using Manual Lenses (M42 Screwmount, M , K) on Pentax DSLRs F-- - PentaxForums.com for details on what you should do.

11-03-2020, 10:44 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nativeson Quote
Folks, I am in need of serious help in getting usable images from my K50.
As I posted recently, in a question concerning bird photography, I am new to the forum, and I quite some time ago bought the K50 to able to use older Pentax lenses from my film camera days.
The lenses are a 50 and 70-210 SMC-A, a 28 SMC-F, and a 100 SMC-M.
My intent was to learn to use the set up in totally manual mode. I could never get correct exposures, got frustrated, and put the camera aside; the set-up just acted "weird".
Every once and awhile I'll give it another go. Today I decided to try the simplest thing possible, shoot in Auto Mode with the 50 lens. It was bright and sunny out, and I took it for some shots in the backyard. No go. Using the eyepiece viewfinder, on review I was getting totally black images. Using the live viewing screen monitor, I get an image upon review, but way dark and under exposed.
When the camera is first turned on, as should be with the A lens, I pick and OK the 50 mm lens length on the view screen.
The side switch is on MF, as this lens does not autofocus. The lens is set to "A" on the lens f stop ring, per the manual.
Mode is Auto.
I hope this is user error, what I am doing wrong??? I hope it is not the camera body, as I've had it too long for warranty I would believe.
To say I am frustrated with this set up is a huge understatement.
At this point it is totally unusable, and nothing more than a somewhat expensive paper weight.
Any insight would be greatly, greatly appreciated.
You say you posted recently regarding bird photography- do you have a modern AF lens, and does the camera work with that? How long have you had this camera?
11-04-2020, 01:54 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your problem is with 99% certainty the solenoid which is stuck.
As you wrote, you hadn't used your K50 for a while, this is one of reasons why this problem develops.

The best way to find out is by following these instructions:
Detection of aperture block/diaphragm-block failure/stuck solenoid K-30, K-50, K500 - PentaxForums.com

The solenoid does not actuate in M-Mode, that is why "green button metering will work"
but you anyway had bad luck trying manual and thus didn't proceed with this.

So solution Nr. 1 is to learn green button metering,
2. is DIY repair:
Manual solenoid replacement Pentax K30 / Discharge flash-condenser / Solenoid choice - PentaxForums.com

or send the camera to anybody who can repair it for you (not the official repairshops, they will use the green China solenoid again, all this is explained in all detail in the DIY thread!)
11-04-2020, 05:39 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
You say you posted recently regarding bird photography- do you have a modern AF lens, and does the camera work with that? How long have you had this camera?
Mike, the only "modern" Pentax lens I have is a 35 SMC-DA 1:2.4 AL. I have not tried it in some time, but I plan to again. To show how much of a DSLR newbie I am, why does this lens not have an aperture ring, all set through the body now I guess. I have had the K50 at least 5 years I would say.
The bird photography question I posted was theoretical, but based on the issues I've had with the K50, I don't see buying a "bird" lens for this camera.
Honestly, I feel I took such nice images with my old film Pentax body and lenses. This is likely not the place to admit this, but given the issues I've had with Ricoh/Pentax, I'm not sure I would ever buy one of their products again.
11-04-2020, 06:02 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Mike, the only "modern" Pentax lens I have is a 35 SMC-DA 1:2.4 AL. I have not tried it in some time, but I plan to again. To show how much of a DSLR newbie I am, why does this lens not have an aperture ring, all set through the body now I guess. I have had the K50 at least 5 years I would say.
The bird photography question I posted was theoretical, but based on the issues I've had with the K50, I don't see buying a "bird" lens for this camera.
Honestly, I feel I took such nice images with my old film Pentax body and lenses. This is likely not the place to admit this, but given the issues I've had with Ricoh/Pentax, I'm not sure I would ever buy one of their products again.
I understand what you're saying though. That being said, depending on which focal length you're aiming for, it's actually quite difficult to find a birding lens for Pentax. If you're more of a casual bird shooter, I suggest a superzoom bridge camera, which actually produces pretty great images.
11-04-2020, 10:46 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Right now the TO is not able to use his K50.
@nativeson: As you worked with A-lenses and even M-lenses in your film days, there must be some memory of how to use Tv, Av and possibly M because an M-lens is pure manual.
Is there no memory how you worked with those lenses.
Anyway, you need first to find out, will you repair your K50 or learn the green buttom method or buy a new or used Pentax or a complete different system.
But AUTO mode will not give you any real results. I once had a superzoom bridge Nikon for 2 days with me (I was selling it for a person who bought a K-S1 instead).

I would not want to work with such a camera, but birding is not what I do often.

When I do it, I use the SMC Pentax DA55-300 PLM ED, which is KAF4 and would work on your
K50 even with stuck solenoid! This is because KAF4 lenses don't use the solenoid!

Your DA35/2,4 will not work, you will have the same problems, i.e. dark images.
And yes, DA and similar lenses don't have an A-ring because the camera can set it.
An A-ring with modern DLSR cameras is not really necessary and one part which costs money and can cause problems (best example the SMC A-50/2 with its very cheap A-ring which goes bad very quickly.... almost by just looking at it)
11-05-2020, 02:22 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Right now the TO is not able to use his K50.
@nativeson: As you worked with A-lenses and even M-lenses in your film days, there must be some memory of how to use Tv, Av and possibly M because an M-lens is pure manual.
Is there no memory how you worked with those lenses.
Anyway, you need first to find out, will you repair your K50 or learn the green buttom method or buy a new or used Pentax or a complete different system.
But AUTO mode will not give you any real results. I once had a superzoom bridge Nikon for 2 days with me (I was selling it for a person who bought a K-S1 instead).

I would not want to work with such a camera, but birding is not what I do often.

When I do it, I use the SMC Pentax DA55-300 PLM ED, which is KAF4 and would work on your
K50 even with stuck solenoid! This is because KAF4 lenses don't use the solenoid!

Your DA35/2,4 will not work, you will have the same problems, i.e. dark images.
And yes, DA and similar lenses don't have an A-ring because the camera can set it.
An A-ring with modern DLSR cameras is not really necessary and one part which costs money and can cause problems (best example the SMC A-50/2 with its very cheap A-ring which goes bad very quickly.... almost by just looking at it)
Thanks for the info, pg. Yes I have some working knowledge of what you mentioned. Just need to spend more time trying different options.
Not sure what the green button method might be, I will research.
Why will the 35 DA not work, the solenoid issue again?
11-06-2020, 06:42 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the info, pg. Yes I have some working knowledge of what you mentioned. Just need to spend more time trying different options.
Not sure what the green button method might be, I will research.
Why will the 35 DA not work, the solenoid issue again?
Green button method:
The Usage of Green Button - PentaxForums.com

The DA35/2,4 will not work even if you use the Green button method!
You need an A-Ring on your lens.

Best would be if you exchange the solenoid, if you somehow feel up to it.
A K50 or K30 with stuck solenoid is like sailing a sailboat without sails but an auxiliary engine only.
11-06-2020, 11:10 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Green button method:
The Usage of Green Button - PentaxForums.com

The DA35/2,4 will not work even if you use the Green button method!
You need an A-Ring on your lens.

Best would be if you exchange the solenoid, if you somehow feel up to it.
A K50 or K30 with stuck solenoid is like sailing a sailboat without sails but an auxiliary engine only.
PG, will the DA35 work if I get the solenoid replaced?
Thanks.