Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-10-2020, 03:23 PM   #1

copy pictures

I want to know how download pictures from my vs20 using the usb cord to windows 10
I can do it with the SD card reader but the computer will not copy all pics

11-10-2020, 03:28 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thread moved to Help section
11-10-2020, 04:26 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Bobull Quote
I want to know how download pictures from my vs20 using the usb cord to windows 10
I can do it with the SD card reader but the computer will not copy all pics
So you are saying with the the card reader all of the pics are not copied. Are you getting some type of error message?

It should be pretty straight forward with the USB cord. Plug the cord into the PC, plug the other end into the turned off camera. (I use a Mac now and import into Lightroom so I have not done this for a while) Turn the camera on, the PC may give a message about recognizing the camera. It may ask you about importing the files, but more likely will show the camera as a drive, and you can see the files and copy them where you want to.
11-10-2020, 05:26 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Make sure all the pictures you want to copy are first selected. It sound likes some may not be.

11-10-2020, 05:49 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The camera should be plug and play, so once you connect it, you'll be able to access the photos and copy them over using the file explorer. AFAIK no additional drivers are needed.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-10-2020, 11:24 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
When you connect both ends of the usb cord, windows give you a list of options for the “new device”. One of them is to use it as an external drive. Don’t use the “import images and video”, it sometimes does not work.
11-10-2020, 11:38 PM   #7

Please confirm that USB connection mode on the camera is set to "MSC" (see page 199 of the user manual).

When you connect the camera via the USB cable to the WIndows 10 computer the camera/card should mount as a removable drive. How Windows 10 reacts depends on your settings but it should show as a drive in File Explorer. If it does not perhaps the cable is faulty.

Please clarify: When you say all the files do not copy is this when using the carder or when the camera is connected via the cable (assuming it mounts correctly in the firs place)?

Last edited by Not a Number; 11-11-2020 at 07:15 AM.
11-11-2020, 12:14 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Please confirm that USB connection mode on the camera is set to "MSC" (see page 199 of the user manual).

When you connect the camera via the USB cable to the WIndows 10 computer the camera/card should mount as a removable drive. How Windows 10 reacts depends on your settings but it should show as a drive in File Explorer. If it does not perhaps the cable is faulty.

Please clarify: When you say all the files do not copy is this when using the carder or when the camera is connected via the cable (assuming it mounts correctly in the firs place)?
Thank you all I am new to Windows 10 but finally followed the advice and see all the pictures. Strangely when I used a separate SD card reader (trade name SANDISK ImageMate) some of the pictures taken at the same time and location were not display and a note on screen said that this format was not supported
11-11-2020, 05:10 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmmm......... Were all the images in jpeg format, or were some in RAW format (.DNG, .PEF)? I don't know why that would make any difference, unless the ImageMate has a limit on the file sizes it can handle. Was the SD card formatted in the camera?
11-11-2020, 06:43 PM   #10

The user manual (page 223) says file formats are JPEG, DPOF (Digital Print Order Files) and AVI for video.

Perhaps you used the printer/print function on the camera which would created DPOFs which Windows does not recognize.
11-11-2020, 07:33 PM - 1 Like   #11

I see that this has pretty much been solved and at the risk of sounding like I'm making an IT Crowd joke, I want to promote the idea of simply rebooting laptops and PCs when something does not work quite right.

For context, I work at a university and for some reason have a lot of trouble convincing some users that laptops in particular need to be rebooted periodically for them to function properly. The first time I ran across that I had a 5-minute argument with a professor who claimed that because she had a Mac, she never had to reboot. In fact she had not restarted her laptop for 6 months. After I convinced her to try it, all her troubles went away!
11-11-2020, 07:37 PM   #12
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bobull Quote
Strangely when I used a separate SD card reader (trade name SANDISK ImageMate) some of the pictures taken at the same time and location were not display and a note on screen said that this format was not supported
Are you referring to Windows Explorer? Early versions of Windows 10 did not allow users to view proprietary RAW files (such as Pentax's *.pef files), but they have since fixed that: How to Open RAW Image Files on Windows 10
If you have not already done so, I suggest you go into Settings | Update and security and download all the updates. I have no problem copying or viewing RAW files in Windows 10, whether in *.pef or *.dng format.