Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2020, 04:35 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
OK, that was fun. It wasn't fungus, just general detritus. So, my set up was a place mat, screwdrivers, 2 lens cloths, a microfibre cloth a torch and some strong glasses. The first thing I undid was the slotted ring on the back, this loosed the rear element. I made a mental note of which way it went in (round side to the rear) and shone a torch through it. It was dusty so it got cleaned. I then removed the three screws holding the mount and lifted it off. The A/M ring was loose so I lifted that off and didn't see where the ball bearing went! Doh! I then unscrewed and removed the aperture ring carefully, making sure I kept the bearing. These bearings are sat on a spring and click into slots on the ring to hold it where you moved it to! I then realised I needn't have taken the rings off, doh! So, moving back to the glass, I unscrewed the housing of the rear elements, they were finger tight, took them apart, noting which way up they went, shone the torch, saw the muck, cleaned each with lens fluid on a glasses cloth, polished with microfibre then polished with a dry lens cloth and reassembled. I managed to find the missing ball bearing with a large magnetic screwdriver. I now have another nice 28mm lens OK, pictures. I took some test shots too and will post them once they are on flicker.

Edit:
OK, test shots, minimal processing

That'll do

The Beastie in bits

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Nokia 5.3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Nokia 5.3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Nokia 5.3  Photo 

Last edited by Cerebum; 11-16-2020 at 05:01 AM.
11-16-2020, 05:34 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
OK, that was fun. It wasn't fungus, just general detritus. So, my set up was a place mat, screwdrivers, 2 lens cloths, a microfibre cloth a torch and some strong glasses. The first thing I undid was the slotted ring on the back, this loosed the rear element. I made a mental note of which way it went in (round side to the rear) and shone a torch through it. It was dusty so it got cleaned. I then removed the three screws holding the mount and lifted it off. The A/M ring was loose so I lifted that off and didn't see where the ball bearing went! Doh! I then unscrewed and removed the aperture ring carefully, making sure I kept the bearing. These bearings are sat on a spring and click into slots on the ring to hold it where you moved it to! I then realised I needn't have taken the rings off, doh! So, moving back to the glass, I unscrewed the housing of the rear elements, they were finger tight, took them apart, noting which way up they went, shone the torch, saw the muck, cleaned each with lens fluid on a glasses cloth, polished with microfibre then polished with a dry lens cloth and reassembled. I managed to find the missing ball bearing with a large magnetic screwdriver. I now have another nice 28mm lens OK, pictures. I took some test shots too and will post them once they are on flicker.

Edit:
OK, test shots, minimal processing

That'll do

The Beastie in bits
Bravo and well done! Thanks for the feedback on the process. The test shots indicate that the lens has great potential. Enjoy it!
Best.
11-16-2020, 06:03 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another Bravo from me.
Well done Peter.
11-16-2020, 06:07 AM   #19

Just like dealing with COVID19, first clean hands with soap and then with alcohol, clean work surface free of dust, and wipe the lens with alcohol before operating on it. Use plastic or latex gloves to avoid finger marks on the lens elements and make sure you do not flip the elements before re assembling.

11-16-2020, 07:13 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Another Bravo from me.
Well done Peter.
Yeah, turned out it wouldn't burn! Who knew! 😂😂😂
11-16-2020, 08:35 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Very well done! Those Rikenon 28s are quite capable, I kept mine over the two Pentax 28mm f/2.8 I used to have (M and A versions).
I'm glad you got yours cleaned up! I have some lenses I've been meaning to clean up but never got the courage to do it (and I did get a lens cleaning solution and a Moody JIS screwdriver set to try...)
11-16-2020, 10:53 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Very well done! Those Rikenon 28s are quite capable, I kept mine over the two Pentax 28mm f/2.8 I used to have (M and A versions).
I'm glad you got yours cleaned up! I have some lenses I've been meaning to clean up but never got the courage to do it (and I did get a lens cleaning solution and a Moody JIS screwdriver set to try...)
By all accounts, if its fungus you need the chemicals because lens cleaner doesn't shift it. I have an isco that needs a look. I will be playing with the rikenon tomorrow. Its like having a new lens re. the Pentax 28mm, I sold mine too. It just didn't impress

11-16-2020, 10:57 AM   #23
Pentaxian

By all accounts, if its fungus you need the chemicals because lens cleaner doesn't shift it. I have an isco that needs a look. I will be playing with the rikenon tomorrow. Its like having a new lens re. the Pentax 28mm, I sold mine too. It just didn't impress
To be fair to Pentax, I pretty much stopped using the Rikenon once I got an SMC-M 28mm f/3.5... that lens is just amazing, especially at this time of the year! (fall pictures...) but I can't make myself sell the Rikenon - it's not worth much anyway, especially since my copy has a bent filter ring (does not affect the glass and can still take filters).
11-16-2020, 01:43 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cleaning with any lens cleaner should do the job.
11-16-2020, 05:15 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
To be fair to Pentax, I pretty much stopped using the Rikenon once I got an SMC-M 28mm f/3.5... that lens is just amazing, especially at this time of the year! (fall pictures...) but I can't make myself sell the Rikenon - it's not worth much anyway, especially since my copy has a bent filter ring (does not affect the glass and can still take filters).
Was your Auto rikenon 28mm on the one with the A/M dial? The review I read is for a younger model, I can’t find anything about the one I have
11-16-2020, 05:30 PM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is one of the better, more celebration-worthy success stories of DIY in lens repatriation.

Most people dealing with suspected fungus would be better off binning the suspect lens rather than pulling it apart and potentially cross-infecting anything within cooee.

The sample images are quite nice, especially the first with quite artful background blur.

Last edited by Silent Street; 11-16-2020 at 05:37 PM.
11-16-2020, 05:59 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Nice work on cleaning up that lens. Other than lens/glass cleaner what do people use to clean up lenses, fungus or otherwise? I thought I read a mixture of alcohol and ammonia?

Also to not mix up the order or orientation of the lens elements do you simply lines up the lens elements left to right (for example) in the order they came out and set them down in the orientation they came out (ie not flip them over)?

My fear is that I’ll forget which side was pointing to the front and screw up the lens. I’ve only tried to clean 2 lenses and not one that I really cared about. An off brand lens which fungus had etched the glass so I chunked it.
11-16-2020, 11:50 PM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
This is one of the better, more celebration-worthy success stories of DIY in lens repatriation.

Most people dealing with suspected fungus would be better off binning the suspect lens rather than pulling it apart and potentially cross-infecting anything within cooee.

The sample images are quite nice, especially the first with quite artful background blur.
People are a bit strange when dealing with a fungus lens. There are fungal spores eveywhere in the air, your little lens with your TINY fungal infection are nothing

Besides most of the time the fungus is dead, when left out of the environment that let it get that way anywho.
11-17-2020, 12:18 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote

Because this had little value it was worth messing about with as an excersize. there are no reviews for this version of this lens on PF so I am going to give it a run for a couple of days and see if it was worth saving. I am expecting it to be an 8, let's see if it surprises me

---------- Post added 11-17-20 at 12:24 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Lhorn Quote
Nice work on cleaning up that lens. Other than lens/glass cleaner what do people use to clean up lenses, fungus or otherwise? I thought I read a mixture of alcohol and ammonia? .
The interweb says hydrogen peroxide and ammonia. With most of the elements it was easy to tell as the convex side was to the rear but yeah, I placed them in a line. The most pesky things were the ball bearings that give your aperture its click

---------- Post added 11-17-20 at 12:27 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
People are a bit strange when dealing with a fungus lens. There are fungal spores eveywhere in the air, your little lens with your TINY fungal infection are nothing

Besides most of the time the fungus is dead, when left out of the environment that let it get that way anywho.
Where I live I am missing one element for bad or fast developing fungus growth, heat! Its a bit fresh up north!
11-17-2020, 06:45 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Was your Auto rikenon 28mm on the one with the A/M dial? The review I read is for a younger model, I can’t find anything about the one I have
I'm not familiar with that A/M dial as I haven't had a lens that had it.

Mine is a K-mount lens, not M42, but it's also not a P lens (no Ricoh pin, no P position, just apertures from f2.8 to f16 in whole steps). I would take a picture of it but I don't have it at the moment (it's in my work office, and I've been working from home since March due to Covid...)s