Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2020, 07:00 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I'm not familiar with that A/M dial as I haven't had a lens that had it.

Mine is a K-mount lens, not M42, but it's also not a P lens (no Ricoh pin, no P position, just apertures from f2.8 to f16 in whole steps). I would take a picture of it but I don't have it at the moment (it's in my work office, and I've been working from home since March due to Covid...)s
Aaaaaah, re. A/M, early DSLRs were all manual so you had to open the aperture so you could see to focus, then close it ready to shoot (M), later cameras had a bar which pushed a button, activating the aperture when you pressed the shutter button (A). When these auto cameras came in, lenses were made so they could be operated automatically or manually. When you have the switch on A, the shutter stays open, irrespective of your aperture settings (until the pin on the rear is pressed), whereas M is manual and the aperture is how it was set. The down side of being in Manual is that it gets very dark once you get down to f6.3 or smaller, hence having the option to open it, focus, and shut it down again

11-17-2020, 07:03 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Aaaaaah, re. A/M, early DSLRs were all manual so you had to open the aperture so you could see to focus, then close it ready to shoot (M), later cameras had a bar which pushed a button, activating the aperture when you pressed the shutter button (A). When these auto cameras came in, lenses were made so they could be operated automatically or manually. When you have the switch on A, the shutter stays open, irrespective of your aperture settings (until the pin on the rear is pressed), whereas M is manual and the aperture is how it was set. The down side of being in Manual is that it gets very dark once you get down to f6.3 or smaller, hence having the option to open it, focus, and shut it down again
Ah ok. I guess that was early M42 lenses, right? I think these are called "preset" lenses, or am I further confused?
11-17-2020, 07:18 AM - 1 Like   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ah ok. I guess that was early M42 lenses, right? I think these are called "preset" lenses, or am I further confused?
Now, preset lenses ........ Maybe you should make a coffee

OK, set? Goooood
Presets are early lenses (up to the early 1960s, except in russia lol) with two rings, an aperture ring and another that smoothly opens and closes the aperture (Helios 44-2, early Takumar). They don't have the auto option. Auto m42s have different ways to open the aperture, they include a sliding switch (later Takumar, Yashinon, chinon etc), a springy lever (Early Takumar) and a two position ring (The Rikenon 28mm). Later M42s were totally auto (Helios 44-M4) and don't have the option to open for focusing on modern DSLRs. On K mount, there is a bar on the back for opening and closing the aperture. This is dead handy because it means I can use a K mount adapter with an aperture ring on my fuji x-e1. The aperture ring operates the bar, meaning I can use luvverly modern Pentax lenses with a degree of aperture control, on my Fuji mirror less. Happy days

Hellooooo

OK, at which point did you nod off?

😁
11-17-2020, 08:13 AM - 1 Like   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello,

A preset lens has 2 aperture rings: One to set the aperture (Duh!) and another one that will let you open the lens for wide open focusing, composition etc. When you are ready to shoot you turn that ring without even looking at it and it will stop at the pre-set aperture on the other ring. Sounds complicated but it is not. Very simple and intuitive operation.

Thanks,

11-17-2020, 08:57 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

---------- Post added 11-17-20 at 12:24 AM ----------

The interweb says hydrogen peroxide and ammonia. With most of the elements it was easy to tell as the convex side was to the rear but yeah, I placed them in a line. The most pesky things were the ball bearings that give your aperture its click

---------- Post added 11-17-20 at 12:27 AM ----------

!
Ah, that was it. Peroxide and ammonia. Thanks
11-18-2020, 09:46 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Now, preset lenses ........ Maybe you should make a coffee

OK, set? Goooood
Presets are early lenses (up to the early 1960s, except in russia lol) with two rings, an aperture ring and another that smoothly opens and closes the aperture (Helios 44-2, early Takumar). They don't have the auto option. Auto m42s have different ways to open the aperture, they include a sliding switch (later Takumar, Yashinon, chinon etc), a springy lever (Early Takumar) and a two position ring (The Rikenon 28mm). Later M42s were totally auto (Helios 44-M4) and don't have the option to open for focusing on modern DSLRs. On K mount, there is a bar on the back for opening and closing the aperture. This is dead handy because it means I can use a K mount adapter with an aperture ring on my fuji x-e1. The aperture ring operates the bar, meaning I can use luvverly modern Pentax lenses with a degree of aperture control, on my Fuji mirror less. Happy days

Hellooooo

OK, at which point did you nod off?

😁
QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Hello,

A preset lens has 2 aperture rings: One to set the aperture (Duh!) and another one that will let you open the lens for wide open focusing, composition etc. When you are ready to shoot you turn that ring without even looking at it and it will stop at the pre-set aperture on the other ring. Sounds complicated but it is not. Very simple and intuitive operation.

Thanks,
Thanks to both of you for the very informative posts. I didn't really know what the preset lenses were (never having owned one) but now I see that they are actually quite clever.
11-18-2020, 12:38 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks to both of you for the very informative posts. I didn't really know what the preset lenses were (never having owned one) but now I see that they are actually quite clever.
Time you went shopping
11-18-2020, 01:58 PM   #38
Pentaxian

My favorite are the semi automatic apertures that some of the late 1950s taks used. The way it works is you set your aperture on the ring and get your exposure, then you would cock a lever on the lens to open it up to focus. Then once you were linend up to take the shot the lens would automatically stop down like you'd expect. On a modern DSLR you'd just never cock the lever since there's no way for your camera to reset the lens but on a camera like a spotmatic it's almost theraputic and a lot more convenient than a preset.

11-18-2020, 02:40 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Time you went shopping
I've been avoiding the M42 rabbit hole so far

I already have over 20 lenses, I can't really justify it... I'm sure they are lovely though - I have held Takumars (and briefly owned one a couple of years ago, but decided against buying the adapter so I sold it). They surely are lovely to handle... I haven't seen anything quite like them. But the K and M series come close I think... the M being my favorite series due to the best compromise of coatings that were very good already at the time, with handling that could still be compared to older lenses, specially in regards to the focus helicoid.

I have a couple DA Limited still on my list to buy, once I have those maybe I'll try the M42s...
11-19-2020, 12:49 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster

I already have over 20 lenses, I can't really justify it... I'm sure they are lovely though - I have held Takumars (and briefly owned one a couple of years ago, but decided against buying the adapter so I sold it). They surely are lovely to handle... I haven't seen anything quite like them. But the K and M series come close I think... the M being my favorite series due to the best compromise of coatings that were very good already at the time, with handling that could still be compared to older lenses, specially in regards to the focus helicoid.

I have a couple DA Limited still on my list to buy, once I have those maybe I'll try the M42s...
I like Pentax-M lenses but I only have the 50mm f2 and the 135mm f3.5. I had the 28mm, can't remember which, I think it was the 2.8, and the 200mm f4 but I never used them so they went to fund something else, a limited I think. No regrets there as the limiteds really are my favourites. I have the 21/35 & 70mm but no money to expand further so the brakes are on
11-19-2020, 02:16 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Interestingly, since getting some Taks and other M42 lenses I have next to no interest in most of the old K through A manual lenses (besides a few exceptions). Performance is pretty comparable, if not better on a lot of designs, and the feeling of operating them is to die for.
11-19-2020, 06:49 AM   #42
Pentaxian

I like Pentax-M lenses but I only have the 50mm f2 and the 135mm f3.5. I had the 28mm, can't remember which, I think it was the 2.8, and the 200mm f4 but I never used them so they went to fund something else, a limited I think. No regrets there as the limiteds really are my favourites. I have the 21/35 & 70mm but no money to expand further so the brakes are on
To me the must haves are the SMC-M 50mm f/1.7 (worlds ahead of the 50mm f2, I had that one), the SMC-M 28mm f/3.5 (if you don't have the K version which is even better - and is better than any of the Takumar versions) and either the SMC-M 120mm f/2.8 or if that is out of reach, the SMC-M 100mm f/2.8 (that is the one I have). These are all on the affordable side. I would love to have the SMC-M 20mm f4 but that is totally out of reach now, they're asking 2-3x what the SMC DA 21mm is going for in the used market...

But having the Limiteds is a good reason to be content. Like I said I wasn't saying anything bad about the Takumars, but having the Ms keeps me satisfied (and in the case of the 35mm focal range, I have both the Limited and the 35 2.4 which is no slouch at all).
I like to see people who end up with 100+ lenses and try every Pentax series and go on to try all the lenses from other manufacturers as well... but that's not me.

I think I will end up with the 21 and 70 Limiteds eventually to make company to my 35, like you did, by the way... and that'll be further cause not to expand into M42 or even other manufacturers...
11-19-2020, 06:51 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Interestingly, since getting some Taks and other M42 lenses I have next to no interest in most of the old K through A manual lenses (besides a few exceptions). Performance is pretty comparable, if not better on a lot of designs, and the feeling of operating them is to die for.
I understand, I do... Yes they do handle better than anything else I've tried (but I only tried Zeiss from a Contax set I saw for sale, and have not tried Leicas). Can't blame you there But I already have my Ks, Ms and As and they perform super well and the handling is also a pleasure, so...