Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2020, 05:31 PM   #1
Closed Account

Need Pentax Google Street View advice

Anyone using a Pentax DSLR to do Google Street View tours? I use my K70 with a Rokinon 8mm fisheye, and the Nodal Ninja tripod head. I get a little distortion, so I am wondering what others use, and what quality they get. Suggestions? I'd like to adjust my rig to give the best quality, either a different lens and/or tripod head. I will continue with my K70, but I also have a K1.

Last edited by theWags; 11-16-2020 at 08:22 PM.
11-16-2020, 06:06 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by theWags Quote
I get a little distortion, so I am wondering what others use, and what quality they get. Suggestions?
The Rokinon 14mm is a rectilinear lens (not a fisheye), but does have noticeable barrel distortion even on APS-C. One may consider the HD DA 15/4.0 Limited. It is fairly expensive, but has little barrel distortion. Note that lacking barrel distortion does not mean the normal rules of perspective such as volumetric exaggeration no longer apply.

Steve
11-16-2020, 06:44 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Ricoh Theta?
11-16-2020, 08:19 PM - 1 Like   #4
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The Rokinon 14mm is a rectilinear lens (not a fisheye), but does have noticeable barrel distortion even on APS-C. One may consider the HD DA 15/4.0 Limited. It is fairly expensive, but has little barrel distortion. Note that lacking barrel distortion does not mean the normal rules of perspective such as volumetric exaggeration no longer apply.

Steve
Steve, thank you for that response. When you said it's not a fish eye, that got me thinking, which happens once in a while. I thought, yes it is, so I must be confused, and sure enough, I was confused. It's an 8mm aspherical, not 14. Duh! Sorry. Still wonder what others use, especially those who get top quality results. Doesn't seem that many Pentaxians do Google Street View shots.

---------- Post added 11-16-20 at 08:20 PM ----------

My original post said 14mm fisheye, which was wrong. I changed it to 8mm.

---------- Post added 11-16-20 at 08:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Ricoh Theta?
Yes, I have a Insta360 One X, but my client wants strictly DSLR.

11-16-2020, 10:46 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by theWags Quote
It's an 8mm aspherical, not 14. Duh! Sorry.
No problem. I have the Rokinon 8mm Fisheye and yes, you will have distortion with that lens, it being a Fisheye and all. You will also have a full 180 degrees FOV diagonal. When you say you get a little distortion do you mean more than what you expected or something else? Do you mean you are not getting clean stitches?

Steve