Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2020, 07:09 PM   #1

Lens adapter for Canon lenses on Pentax

Wondering if someone could let me know if and where I can purchase an adapter to use canon lenses on my K3ii.

11-16-2020, 07:39 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The short answer is that it isn't possible to adapt EOS lenses on Pentax DSLRs, more details here:

Canon Lens to Pentax Adapter/converter - PentaxForums.com

There is an adapter for FD lenses, however:

FotodioX Pro Lens Mount Adapter for Canon FD Lens to FD-PK-PRO

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-16-2020, 07:39 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I bought one: a Fotodiox Pro Lens Mount Adapter - Canon FD & FL 35mm SLR lens to Pentax K (PK) Mount SLR Camera Body, but I can't recommend it except for macro work.

It does allow a Canon FD/FL lens to focus to infinity when mounted on a Pentax body, it does have a control ring to manually stop down the lens aperture, but it also acts as a 1.4x teleconverter (in addition to the 1.5x APS-C crop factor from your K-3ii body; it turns a 20mm ultra wide lens into the equivalent of a 42mm normal lens).

But...

There's only a single optical element, and the image quality is absolutely ghastly (good teleconverters often have 5 to 7 elements). I tried several of my Canon FD mount lenses with it, and the images were all fuzzy, low-contrast, soft-focus disasters.

You can remove the optical element and just use the adapter as a short extension tube for macro work, but without infinity focus. This is why I bought the adapter: I use it to mount a Vivitar 90mm f/2.8 macro lens in Canon FD mount to my Pentax K-70. It works really great for macro shots, but the maximum focus distance is about 5 ft. (with the lens set at infinity).

The optical element is easily removed if you have a spanner wrench; not so easily removed if you don't.
11-16-2020, 09:50 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rodh Quote
Wondering if someone could let me know if and where I can purchase an adapter to use canon lenses on my K3ii.
There aren't any that are optically good.

In order to adapt a lens without adding corrective elements you need one with a longer flange focal distance than the native mount:
Flange focal distance - Wikipedia

Thus while Pentax K or Nikon F can be used without corrective optics on Canon FD/FL, EF, and RF, the Canon FD/FL and EF lenses can't be used without corrective optics on Nikon F mount cameras or Pentax K - but can be adapted without corrective optics to Nikon's Z mount cameras.

Adding a corrective teleconverter lens can allow use but generally the ones made are just terrible. Plus the lenses won't present a normal field of view as they are more telephoto than they were originally.

11-17-2020, 12:32 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’ve tried and currently use an adapter for my FD lenses and I only get ghastly images at very wide aperture values. Micro contrast is an issue but it can be easily fixed in pp.
11-17-2020, 06:43 PM   #6
Pentaxian

If you want to use Canon FD lenses on digital, the easy answer is to get a mirrorless camera and an adapter.

For example:

Vello Canon FD Lens to Sony E-Mount Camera Lens Adapter