Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2020, 06:36 AM   #1

Card Locked

I have a K100d camera and my camera says "card locked" by both of them. I've tried formatting. I've tried toggling the switch on the side of the SD card. I've taken the batteries out and pressed all the buttons then put then back in. I've tried everything I can't think of. Please can someone help me!!

11-22-2020, 07:48 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
can you get another camera to try the card on?

a friend or go to a store and ask to try it on a display camera ?

it is possible that the card is broke
11-22-2020, 08:11 AM - 1 Like   #3
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gwen Quote
I have a K100d camera and my camera says "card locked" by both of them. I've tried formatting. I've tried toggling the switch on the side of the SD card. I've taken the batteries out and pressed all the buttons then put then back in. I've tried everything I can't think of. Please can someone help me!!
Hi Gwen, welcome aboard.
You have not mentioned the capacity of the cards you are trying to use. Please read the linked old thread below, as it may be your issue. Good luck.

K100d - PentaxForums.com
11-22-2020, 08:20 AM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I forgot to say:

Welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge here

and for more info on SD cards there is this article that can be read as well:

QuoteQuote:
The Benefits of Fast SD Cards
Card speed demo and product recommendations
By PF Staff in Tutorial Videos on May 19, 2013
The Benefits of Fast SD Cards
There are lots of different memory card types and manufacturers out there. Have you ever wondered what the difference between all these types is? Do you need a faster memory card? In today's video tutorial, we take a look at different SDHC and SDXC memory card classes, and we show you how you might benefit from having a faster card:
Read more at: The Benefits of Fast SD Cards - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com

11-22-2020, 12:47 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Did they ever work? If not it may be a compatibility problem. "The Pentax K100D uses SDHC and SD memory cards. That means that the maximum card size you are able to use is 32GB."
Pentax K100D Memory Card Compatibility | Outside The Shot
Also, upgraded firmware is needed to use SDHC cards. SD card size maximum is 4GB. Check to see what firmware you are using, Good luck.
11-23-2020, 05:38 AM   #6

What version of the firmware is currently installed? Hold down the menu key while turning on the camera should display the version.

Provided the card is compatible with the firmware version look into the card slot to see if any dirt or debris is blocking the card lock sensor
11-23-2020, 05:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
What version of the firmware is currently installed? Hold down the menu key while turning on the camera should display the version.

Provided the card is compatible with the firmware version look into the card slot to see if any dirt or debris is blocking the card lock sensor
Did you check to be sure the little write protection switch on the top left side of the card is not on? If the little gray slider is in downward position, it will not let you write to card. That's what it sounds like to me.
11-25-2020, 06:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Looks like a post and run here.

11-25-2020, 10:15 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Adelaide, South Australia: Don't tell anyone how good it is, please.
Photos: Albums
In my experience, when a card is un-writable, it's a self protection mechanism: The card is failing, so it locks itself to preserve the data so you can copy it before total failure.