Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2020, 06:59 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
KP AF issue

Had my KP for a week now. Been very good so far but just now whilst checking through some menu items I noticed that the lens wasn't focussing when using the viewfinder. In all of the standard modes this is set to AF-S when using the viewfinder. Checked with another lens and it is the same. If I switch to one of my user modes which is set to the same AF settings. It seems to work fine. Odd to say the least. I cant see any setting that would stop the AF working. As luck would have it the low battery warning came on so can't proceed further until I have put some more volts in the battery (I have another battery on order but not arrived yet).

Has anyone had any similiar instances?

Detail.
DA 18-55 (old type), Mode Av/TAv/M, AF on, AF mode AF-S - autofocus not working - no indicator lights Mode U4 af working ok.
SMC FA 1.4 Mode Av/TAv/M, AF on, AF mode AF-S - autofocus not working - no indicator lights Mode U4 af working ok.
Was all working ok yesterday.

Will expand once power has been restored.

11-23-2020, 07:07 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevejo Quote
I cant see any setting that would stop the AF working
Sounds like you have changed a setting for AF. There will be options to use Back-Button Focus, and one of those disables the AF on shutter button half press

Your user modes will not be affected by this setting which is why I suspect they still work.
11-23-2020, 07:15 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Sounds like you have changed a setting for AF. There will be options to use Back-Button Focus, and one of those disables the AF on shutter button half press

Your user modes will not be affected by this setting which is why I suspect they still work.
Thanks Peter. I don't think I set that, but there are so many settings to play with it is most likely something like that.

---------- Post added 23-11-20 at 07:34 AM ----------

Thanks again for the tip. The rear button was set to AF2 which you say, disables AF on the shutter button. Strange I never noticed as my usual default mode is Av.
Anyway, sorted now.
11-23-2020, 05:31 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is so quick and easy to inadvertently change a setting somewhere that will cause so much time and troubleshooting to straighten out.

11-24-2020, 02:53 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Try dismounting the lens and checking the AF screw on both the body and the lens. make sure the AF/MF switch is fully turned also.
You might also want to uncheck the "catch in focus" feature if its checked.
11-25-2020, 01:20 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by shyrsio Quote
Try dismounting the lens and checking the AF screw on both the body and the lens. make sure the AF/MF switch is fully turned also.
You might also want to uncheck the "catch in focus" feature if its checked.
I think he found the problem

QuoteOriginally posted by stevejo Quote
The rear button was set to AF2 which you say, disables AF on the shutter button.
Anyway, sorted now.