Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2020, 12:35 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Laci.4400 Quote
Hi all,

I just got a Spotmatic and all is fine except that there is this thing in the viewfinder. If I turn the body upside down it moves though not always and not much but still.
Does anyone know what is this and how it got there and will it affect anything and how to get rid of it?
Good news is that it's not the pentaprism desilvering. With a set of jewelers tools, you can carefully take you Spotmatic top off to reattach whatever dislodged. I suspect it's between the focusing screen and the pentaprism.

Here's a video I used to replace a pentaprism on my K1000, and I believe the Spotmatic will be very similar in construction:

11-27-2020, 10:05 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Good news is that it's not the pentaprism desilvering. With a set of jewelers tools, you can carefully take you Spotmatic top off to reattach whatever dislodged. I suspect it's between the focusing screen and the pentaprism.

Here's a video I used to replace a pentaprism on my K1000, and I believe the Spotmatic will be very similar in construction:

Fix Old Cameras: K1000 Top Cover and Prism Removal - YouTube
Interesting and informative video. Not sure I'd feel comfortable doing it without the proper tools. Would this be similar to the procedure for changing the focus screen?
11-27-2020, 11:54 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
Interesting and informative video. Not sure I'd feel comfortable doing it without the proper tools. Would this be similar to the procedure for changing the focus screen?
For sure proper tools makes all the difference. I've only changed the focusing screens on SLRs that offered that as user-capable option. The Spotmatics and K1000 didn't, and so yes, I imagine this would be a similar process to get to the focusing screen. Hopefully it's held in by a clip, spring, clamp, or screw and not glued in.

I've got to believe other PF members have done the surgery and can enlighten us.
11-27-2020, 08:04 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For sure proper tools makes all the difference. I've only changed the focusing screens on SLRs that offered that as user-capable option. The Spotmatics and K1000 didn't, and so yes, I imagine this would be a similar process to get to the focusing screen. Hopefully it's held in by a clip, spring, clamp, or screw and not glued in.

I've got to believe other PF members have done the surgery and can enlighten us.
i saw a video where the prism cover was easily removed and then the prism and the focus screen in an easy looking procedure, maybe it was on a spotmatic. It was nothing at all like this video. I figured it wouldn't be simple.

11-27-2020, 08:11 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
i saw a video where the prism cover was easily removed and then the prism and the focus screen in an easy looking procedure, maybe it was on a spotmatic. It was nothing at all like this video. I figured it wouldn't be simple.
My experience is that the process is neither easy nor impossible. Take plenty of photos on your phone so you can put things back together.

I've seen countless how-to DIY videos that skip steps, make difficult things look easy, or give misinformation. However, with the one I sent, at least for a K1000, I was able to scroll through it and do it as described. Just know that although the video is seven minutes long, it took me at least 70 minutes.
11-27-2020, 08:19 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My experience is that the process is neither easy nor impossible. Take plenty of photos on your phone so you can put things back together.

I've seen countless how-to DIY videos that skip steps, make difficult things look easy, or give misinformation. However, with the one I sent, at least for a K1000, I was able to scroll through it and do it as described. Just know that although the video is seven minutes long, it took me at least 70 minutes.
Now that is compressing time quite a bit. I always figure at least 50% more time than instructions indicate. I seldom do my own repair work and then only if I really, really think I can do it with minimal trouble.
11-27-2020, 10:15 PM   #22

The "Fix Old Cameras" videos are among the best. They are well edited and the document well the trickier parts. Many other videos, even though sped up, do we really need to watch twelve screws being removed and later replaced? Unless they are hidden or some other part needs to be removed beforehand just show one or two being removed so we get the idea than edit out the rest.

11-29-2020, 09:06 AM   #23

Original Poster
Many thanks everyone for all the help you provided!
I’ll work out something after gathering so many infos.
11-30-2020, 12:34 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Bear in mind the small slotted nut under the rewind lever MAY be a left hand thread. I repaired a spotty recently and it did have a LH thread there. Some spotties do and some dont so dont charge in and try and force it one way or another, gently test. On mine it was lacquered in so a bit of IPA helped but the real fix was heat to free it. Use a hair dryer to heat it, dont go mad but it may need to get quite hot, succcessive heating and cooling will often free up stuff thats stuck.

Changing focus screens is not easily possible on a Spottie. Its doable but I would advise not messing with that as its a much bigger job.

---------- Post added 11-30-20 at 12:39 AM ----------

Oh also, the fix old cameras video is good but dont cover getting the prism off. When you get under the hood the prism is retained by springs. These are hellish to replace.
Also there are two small adjuster screws that retain the prism at the front of the camera. Only slacken one of these, doesnt matter which, and note how many turns you give it when releasing it and replace using the same number. These screws adjust the prism and shouldnt be messed with as they can affect the cameras relationship between the viewfinder and the film plane.

Once you have the prism off take care with regards to whats inside, there will be a small very fragile mask and also the meter needle which when seen directly is tiny, not much bigger than a hair. So with the prism off take a good look before you jump in and be very careful. The top of the prism is quite soft and easily damaged.
11-30-2020, 03:28 AM   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Astro-Baby Quote
Bear in mind the small slotted nut under the rewind lever MAY be a left hand thread. I repaired a spotty recently and it did have a LH thread there. Some spotties do and some dont so dont charge in and try and force it one way or another, gently test. On mine it was lacquered in so a bit of IPA helped but the real fix was heat to free it. Use a hair dryer to heat it, dont go mad but it may need to get quite hot, succcessive heating and cooling will often free up stuff thats stuck.

Changing focus screens is not easily possible on a Spottie. Its doable but I would advise not messing with that as its a much bigger job.

---------- Post added 11-30-20 at 12:39 AM ----------

Oh also, the fix old cameras video is good but dont cover getting the prism off. When you get under the hood the prism is retained by springs. These are hellish to replace.
Also there are two small adjuster screws that retain the prism at the front of the camera. Only slacken one of these, doesnt matter which, and note how many turns you give it when releasing it and replace using the same number. These screws adjust the prism and shouldnt be messed with as they can affect the cameras relationship between the viewfinder and the film plane.

Once you have the prism off take care with regards to whats inside, there will be a small very fragile mask and also the meter needle which when seen directly is tiny, not much bigger than a hair. So with the prism off take a good look before you jump in and be very careful. The top of the prism is quite soft and easily damaged.
Thanks for this!!
I saved this for later if I face with a bigger issue than the current one.