Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2020, 02:14 PM   #1

Black thing in viewfinder

Hi all,

I just got a Spotmatic and all is fine except that there is this thing in the viewfinder. If I turn the body upside down it moves though not always and not much but still.
Does anyone know what is this and how it got there and will it affect anything and how to get rid of it?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 
11-25-2020, 02:35 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It might be dust or some kind of particle on the focusing screen inside the camera. Remove the lens and look inside at the focusing screen under the pentaprism. If you have a lens cleaning brush/air blower you can use it to dislodge anything on the screen. Use caution; some screens scratch easily.
11-25-2020, 02:36 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Laci.4400 Quote
Hi all,

I just got a Spotmatic and all is fine except that there is this thing in the viewfinder. If I turn the body upside down it moves though not always and not much but still.
Does anyone know what is this and how it got there and will it affect anything and how to get rid of it?
If it moves then you should be able to get it off with a blower. It probably won’t affect your photos , I would guess it’s on the screen or the mirror. I have a similar little black spot in my film camera. As annoying as it has been, I never had any issues.
11-25-2020, 03:08 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It is somewhere between the mirror and the viewfinder, so it won't show up in your pictures and you don't necessarily have to remove it.

It might be some part from the sealing against light leaks or from the end stop of the mirror and probably got there via the mirror movement when taking a picture.

11-25-2020, 03:46 PM   #5

Original Poster
Sorry, my original post wasn’t clear. I mean the black big thing at the bottom of the screen. The rectangle at the mid-bottom of the screen. If I turn the camera it moves and if I turn it upside down it can move as far as the centre of the screen.
11-25-2020, 04:47 PM   #6

What ever it is it's between the focus screen and the prism. You would have to remove the top plate and prism to get at it as the focus screen isn't removable from the mirror box.
11-25-2020, 05:50 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks like it's on the focus screen. Shouldn't affect picture any.

11-25-2020, 06:01 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
Looks like it's on the focus screen. Shouldn't affect picture any.
But depending on where it is at any given moment it could affect the meter reading.
11-25-2020, 08:44 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It may be a piece of the seal/frame between the focus screen and prism. They were most likely plastic or rubber and over time dry out. A piece probably broke off somewhere along the line. If you want to invest in a deep cleaning of the camera body then that would eliminate it.
11-26-2020, 12:35 AM   #10
Veteran Member

In ant see it being a seal, its too clearly defined. You would have to get the top off and the prism out to find out what it is. Not familiar with the spottie so no idea what could be that shape inside.
11-26-2020, 01:52 AM   #11
Veteran Member

From the clear edged definition, it resembles a shim or mask that has come adrift through the passage of time -- the age of the Spotmatic is... ?

Give the camera a shake (not a bang!) and if it moves, you will have a clearer view of what it is, and importantly, have established the need to have the prism area disassembled to deal with it.
11-26-2020, 06:25 AM   #12
Pentaxian

You could always take it to your local branch of London Camera Exchange (no connection other than satisfied customer) - they could offer advice and possibly point you to a repairer. After the current House Arrest ends, obviously.
11-26-2020, 11:25 AM   #13

Original Poster
So if I shake it it moves but just if I really give it a proper one and it only moves a bit and I can shake it back where it was.
I don’t want to touch it and dismantle it in any way so if you guys say it won’t affect the outcome then I think I leave it where it is and if it would bother me or would move somewhere where it would bother me in framing the photo and wouldn’t want to move when shaking then I’ll ask for help from a camera repair.
11-26-2020, 11:35 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Laci.4400 Quote
So if I shake it it moves but just if I really give it a proper one and it only moves a bit and I can shake it back where it was.I don’t want to touch it and dismantle it in any way so if you guys say it won’t affect the outcome then I think I leave it where it is and if it would bother me or would move somewhere where it would bother me in framing the photo and wouldn’t want to move when shaking then I’ll ask for help from a camera repair.
Sounds like a plan. Enjoy
11-26-2020, 12:24 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
Sounds like a plan. Enjoy
I’ll be on it!