Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
11-25-2020, 10:04 PM   #1

I got my k-50 on air miles, and know nothing about settings or anything. need help !

I have a Pentax k- 50 I got with my air miles. I am so lost reading the 280 page manual that I'm looking for a very ,very basic , maybe a kids start out book on what all the settings and functions do .
So far I use auto and it works fine .
I'm a senior , and always dreamed of taking photos that would catch the eye of the beholder .

I have an older book called DSLR for dummies , but it is a bit confusing , maybe better for experienced folks with non digital SLR cameras .

Is there a beginners guide I could purchase ,or download ?
Thanks , Neil

11-25-2020, 10:30 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Neil! I know that attempting to read the included manual can be a mind-numbing experience.

If you are comfortable with reading on your computer or tablet, the K-50 eBook by Yvon Bourque ($13.99 USD) is highly regarded, although I have no personal experience with it: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/donations/?act=ebook&loginrequired=1#sub18

- Chris
11-25-2020, 10:34 PM   #3
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi Neil

Welcome

What were you using before for photographing stuff ?
Start at page 1 of the manual with camera in the other hand ... and.... take your time .. there is no rush.

Dave
11-25-2020, 10:52 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This is a pretty good overview of features but not really a how to. It gives you an idea of what to look out for.

11-25-2020, 11:14 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Hi Neil! I know that attempting to read the included manual can be a mind-numbing experience.

If you are comfortable with reading on your computer or tablet, the K-50 eBook by Yvon Bourque ($13.99 USD) is highly regarded, although I have no personal experience with it: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/donations/?act=ebook&loginrequired=1#sub18

- Chris
I have to second this. My dad isn't very tech savvy but had a strong background in film cameras. His k50 was very confusing to him until I bought him a copy of this ebook.
11-25-2020, 11:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hey, I remember my first shot with the K50 was way too long of an exposure and it was a funny blurry mess. I think I still have that shot. It was a JPEG, pretty much the last time I ever shot JPEG. Good times. You'll get the hang of it in no time.
11-26-2020, 01:51 AM   #7
Hmm

Youtube is a good source.

11-26-2020, 06:00 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Right here on the forums is an article about recommended settings for the K-50. Also you can download the manual in searchable pdf form and have it on your computer or even phone, it is a lot easier to use than the paper book, because you can search anything.
11-26-2020, 06:20 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Read up on the SCN or AUTO setting and let the camera do the thinking until you get more comfortable with the camera.
11-26-2020, 08:32 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kjfishman Quote
Read up on the SCN or AUTO setting and let the camera do the thinking until you get more comfortable with the camera.
I agree. Start out in the automatic setting and just take pictures. Essentially your camera is a “point and shoot” in this setting. Then learn about one setting at a time: shutter speed, aperture, and ISO. And yes, there are plenty of good (and also bad) YouTube videos to help you along.

Have fun & good luck!
11-26-2020, 03:01 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you use the "SCENE" (SCN) access on your mode dial, this will give you some control, as the camera's response settings will be to the kind of situation you yourself choose. As others have said, you can also use the "auto" setting, where the camera will choose the setting of ISO sensitivity, aperture, and shutter speed, and perhaps even which "SCENE" mode will be in use, or even which Custom Image section will be chosen, according to what it "thinks" is appropriate for what it is "seeing". So then your camera is functioning as a point-and-shoot device. But if you don't know exactly what the camera has chosen and/or why, you won't learn much by going this route. And, these "auto" modes will NOT allow you access to important adjustment settings, and most controls will be disengaged.

By selecting individual choices from the "SCN" mode, and then observing what the camera has selected based on that selection that is different from other "Scenes", then you could possibly learn something from doing this. But knowing what is going on and why is a necessity. Also, every picture-taking device essentially works the same way, according to the laws of physics. It has to have some form of light-reading meter to evaluate the lighting present in the part of the scene that is within the frame, so it can set the aperture and shutter speed to let in the right amount of light to the sensor (or film) for proper exposure. If there is too little or too much light to be within those capabilities, then the sensor's sensitivity to incoming light must be adjusted (ISO). All this nowadays can be done automatically by the device. However, there are lighting situations that can fool even the most well-computerized metering systems. If this happens with a "smart" phone or other point-and-shoot device affording no control by the user, there will likely be little or nothing that can be done to overcome this problem. Having such control via an advanced photographic instrument, such as your Pentax DSLR, can produce superior results both for dealing with tricky lighting and for manipulation to achieve variance from "normal" in order to gain a particular effect.

"D" is for Digital, and SLR is for Single Lens Reflex, meaning having an optical viewfinder that by viewing via a specially-designed prism allows one to view the scene actually through the lens attached to the camera instead of through a separate lens or on an electronic screen, which is an electronic representation of reality.

Here are some essential basics. Aperture- the lens opening, which is adjustable. It will let in more light when set to a larger, wider aperture value (smaller number is larger, while larger number means a smaller, narrower aperture). By manipulating this, you can control the depth of field (DOF) that is, how much of your picture will appear sharp or in focus in the background and foreground around your main subject. There is an intrinsic relationship between the lens aperture setting and the shutter speed. If using a larger aperture (again-smaller number) value, this will let in more light and there will need to be a correspondingly faster shutter speed which will let in less light. A big part of the fun is in selecting the balancing act between the two according to what you are looking for. Shutter speed is typically manipulated to either stop action for greater clarity of fast moving subjects, or deliberately using a slower shutter speed to cause some blur to indicate movement, as in flowing water. Some photographers like to take this to an extreme so the water tends to look like cotton candy! But in the necessity of balancing the aperture for proper exposure, you will also be changing DOF.

If you wish to shoot only in an automatic mode where you will be always selecting the aperture, this is the Av (Aperture value) mode on the dial- the camera will compensate by setting the shutter speed. If you wish to shoot only in an automatic mode where you will always be selecting the shutter speed, this is the Tv (Time value) mode on the dial- the camera will compensate by setting the aperture.

If you wish to shoot with the camera automatically selecting both aperture and shutter speed most of the time, set your mode dial to "P" (Program) instead, which does allow you access to all controls and adjustments, and to the exclusive Pentax Hyper System. When in P mode, and you see the camera has chosen an aperture or shutter speed other than what you would prefer, you can instantly change either aperture or shutter speed simply by using either your thumb or finger dial without having to first select Av or Tv on your mode dial! If wishing to return to full P mode, you can instantly do so with a touch of the green button.

By accessing the ISO control screen, you can have your ISO sensitivity set on Auto and select the range the camera will be limited to, or you can manually set the ISO to the degree you wish for the lighting you are facing. Less ISO value will be conducive to the best possible image quality. But lighting and/or fast movement doesn't always allow shooting at 100 ISO!

It is very important to also learn to use the "M"(Manual) mode where you set the aperture and the shutter speed by observing the meter indicator. Then, if switching the metering system to "spot" metering, you can train onto a particular small area and take readings from it instead of the whole scene. The exclusive Pentax Hyper Manual Sytem is also available- by hitting the green button in this mode, you get an instant meter-centered exposure setting. If wishing a different shutter speed or aperture, you can self-adjust from there.

With this basic information, you are in a position to shoot lots of photos and you can be on the road to discovery with all the tools, and without having to pay for film! And, greetings from a fellow senior, and welcome to the forum. We are always here for any questions.

Last edited by mikesbike; 11-26-2020 at 03:32 PM.
11-26-2020, 03:12 PM   #12
Pentaxian

You do not need to read the manual all at once. Read the Getting Started section. Use camera. Reread GS again. Use camera. Read next chapter. Use camera.
11-26-2020, 05:14 PM   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge here

perhaps there is something in the " In Depth " review that might help you out

QuoteQuote:
Pentax K-50 Review
Introduction . . .
https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-k-50-review/introduction.html?src=lrdb

if you look at the " articles " section you will find useful information

in addition to what others have posted already

remember if you have fun with your photography, you are doing great

Last edited by aslyfox; 11-26-2020 at 05:20 PM.
11-26-2020, 07:48 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Hey Neil,
The K50 is a good starter camera that could last you a long time if you want it to. You don't have to know if all to use it... there is some good advice above... I would just add... get out there and use it.

Digital photography is virtually free once you get the camera and lens (just have to recharge the batteries which costs pennies) so don't be afraid to delete the shots that don't work at all... and try again! Have fun
11-27-2020, 01:41 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kjfishman Quote
SCN is somehow o.k. but AUTO?
Then better sell the camera as NEW and use a smart-phone.
A step further is P-Mode which is a more intelligent AUTO but allows change of important parameters.