Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2020, 03:05 PM   #1

Manual / Auto focus lever jammed K5

Hi

Looking for ideas, the manual/auto lever on my K5 has jammed in the Auto position and if I try to move it the lens drive pin retracts and stays down. I can get it back after a time but it means I have to leave the camera in Auto.

Any ideas on how to fix it would be appreciated as The camera is in as new condition otherwise

11-26-2020, 07:00 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Barrie Lockwood Quote
Hi

Looking for ideas, the manual/auto lever on my K5 has jammed in the Auto position and if I try to move it the lens drive pin retracts and stays down. I can get it back after a time but it means I have to leave the camera in Auto.

Any ideas on how to fix it would be appreciated as The camera is in as new condition otherwise
I'm a little confused. The lever is jammed, meaning you cannot move it. The lens drive pin, or autofocus drive should retract when you put it in manual, that is how it works. But if it is jammed how is it moving. I would not try to force it to move, you could damage it. If you could explain a little better, and perhaps with pictures it may help.
11-26-2020, 09:52 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think he means once the drive pin gets retracted it is difficult to get back out. Hope the OP will correct me if that is wrong.

I am not aware of any user fix for this. So a trip to the repair shop might be the only solution for a real fix.

If it was me, I would just leave it in auto. It will not matter for a manual lens. I think the only use for the manual switch would be to disengage the AF on an older lens or one that doesn't have quick shift.

Perhaps the OP could let us know what his use case is that requires the lever, maybe a work around is possible.
11-27-2020, 12:14 AM   #4
Pentaxian

here is the mechanical part of camera, you can analyze how it works and make some assumption related to your problem. As you can see there are 2 springs that work synergistically. If the pushing lens release button couple of times do not solve your problem, it could be debris inside the camera where screwdrive autofocus shaft is located. Or the Auto/manual lever pin went outside its ordinary position or is broken. In both cases the best way to inspect the situation is to remove front cover of the camera, but that means disassembly.

Last edited by Medex; 11-27-2020 at 12:22 AM.
11-27-2020, 01:38 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
..... Or the Auto/manual lever pin went outside its ordinary position or is broken. In both cases the best way to inspect the situation is to remove front cover of the camera, but that means disassembly.
That would have been my guess: most likely that it is just out of position!

Here you can study the disassembly of the K50 which aside of 1 extra hidden screw is the same:
Manual solenoid replacement Pentax K30 / Discharge flash-condenser / Solenoid choice - PentaxForums.com

I have explained there in all detail how to adjust the 2 inner levers. It is the same with the K5/7/3/KP

The hidden screw sits here/red arrow and the inner part of the lever shown with the green arrow
(thanks to Dave Robinson and his tutorial)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
11-27-2020, 03:31 AM   #6

Original Poster
Many thanks for the replies especially the photos. I’ll have a look at the disassembly instructions although I may just decide to leave the camera in Auto and use the K3 on the odd occasions (macro and copying) when I need Manual.
11-28-2020, 12:48 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Barrie Lockwood Quote
Many thanks for the replies especially the photos. I’ll have a look at the disassembly instructions although I may just decide to leave the camera in Auto and use the K3 on the odd occasions (macro and copying) when I need Manual.
It is much easier than you think.
Repairing the solenoid of a K50 is more difficult, here it is a simple disassembly which looks much more complicated.
What you do is take photos of all sides, print them, stick 2mm holes were the screws are located and then place the screws there (see my K50 solenoid repair tutorial).
For me it would be something like 15 min. incl. reassembly.