Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2020, 11:31 AM   #1

(HELP) Pentax 67 MLU // 1st & 2nd Frames Overlapping

I haven't had any problems with my Pentax 67 with MLU for years. A few weeks ago, the film advance lever got stuck and it look more effort than usual to get it to go back. Since then, I've noticed the first and second frames on some rolls overlap a bit (examples attached). Since this is only happening on some rolls, is there anything I should be doing to avoid this? Should I just be especially gentle when I advance my film now? (Not that I was being very rough with it before.) I've read online here and there that this happens to some people and they seem to then avoid it going forward somehow. Or am I better off just sending it in for maintenance? Unfortunately, I don't have any equipment to tinker with it myself. Any advice is appreciated!

Attached Images

11-30-2020, 10:12 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It needs to be repaired. Likely the film advance cog / gear is broken.
12-03-2020, 12:29 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I had to have a 6x7 repaired for the same issue several years ago. The film advance mechanism is strangely fragile (you'd have thought that a professional level camera would have been more robust, but this is the camera that uses a dainty little chain to link the lens to the meter prism for metering!). When I had mine repaired the technician warned that these parts are extremely rare, so I'd be reluctant to wait. On the other hand, maybe someone with expertise in 3-D printing will come up with something to help us out? Good luck, whatever you choose to do.
12-03-2020, 04:02 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Elroy Jetson Quote
I had to have a 6x7 repaired for the same issue several years ago. The film advance mechanism is strangely fragile (you'd have thought that a professional level camera would have been more robust, but this is the camera that uses a dainty little chain to link the lens to the meter prism for metering!). When I had mine repaired the technician warned that these parts are extremely rare, so I'd be reluctant to wait. On the other hand, maybe someone with expertise in 3-D printing will come up with something to help us out? Good luck, whatever you choose to do.
I'm kind of surprised that parts for the 67 haven't been repro'd already. It's pretty common in other hobbies.

For example I just bought metal parts for the analog joystick on my N64 controller to replace the very prone to failure plastic ones.

12-06-2020, 06:58 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I'm kind of surprised that parts for the 67 haven't been repro'd already. It's pretty common in other hobbies.

For example I just bought metal parts for the analog joystick on my N64 controller to replace the very prone to failure plastic ones.
There's a lot more N64 out there than 67; and the precision needed for 67 parts is much higher.
12-06-2020, 03:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Elroy Jetson Quote
but this is the camera that uses a dainty little chain to link the lens to the meter prism for metering!).
Same as the Olympus OM4 and variants...albeit it's a nylon braided "chain", still prone to breakage.
12-07-2020, 12:22 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks everyone! I wound up sending it to Nippon Photo Clinic in NYC. I've received really great service from them over the years. Apparently no new parts will be required to repair it. The estimate is a bit garbled but it says: "No Parts! If successfully overhaul winding & mirror box Mech., repair & adj..."

12-07-2020, 12:30 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DustyMummy Quote
The estimate is a bit garbled but it says: "No Parts! If successfully overhaul winding & mirror box Mech., repair & adj..."
Must've been interference in the transmission
12-07-2020, 01:57 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe old hardened grease that caused issues. Nice to get it fixed.
12-07-2020, 04:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I think it would have been better to have posted a continuous roll scan rather than templated presentation as shown in the first post. A continuous roll (3 frame-set) would show frame spacing, rebates and the position of start and finish of overlapping frames.

Just to reiterate the oft-repeated statement, new parts ceased to be available for the Pentax 6x7 / 67 decades ago.

What parts are required for repair are taken from like-cameras, and this introduces reliability issues because the history of the donor camera(s) is not known. Parts at risk of failure after repair are numerous: the winding mechanism, mirror/shutter magnet, lens mount, counter roller and shutter mechanism. If new parts were available, the camera's operational condition could not be queried, but as things stand now, if major repairs are required it would be better to either invest in another camera or take some other alternative action to avoid grief going forward.
12-07-2020, 05:34 PM   #11
Pentaxian

(HELP) Pentax 67 MLU // 1st & 2nd Frames Overlapping

I bought a basket case impacted 6x7.
How much impact? Split casting ! I got three lenses and a meter prism with it , so I said let’s see....... Short story is yes it worked, and I shot a few rolls. Then the mirror box tore, yeah torn due to impact, stress on top , and I suspect excess JB weld causing the lever to tear the guts out of it.
The surprising thing was the film advance.... it was undamaged, never an issue. I suspect this just needs a good CLA on the wind clutch.

My advice, fix it and keep smiling!

Hang up and DRIVE!