Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-30-2020, 09:58 PM   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
If you remove the spring (tiny screw) and then screw the adapter tightly onto your lens, the adaptor will not lock in the usual position but move further (about 1/4 turn)
and thus the rear of the lens assembly will be closer to the sensor:
Sorry, but I don't think so, at least not with the Mamiya/Sekor or the Rikenon. I work a lot with adapted M42 lenses. With the genuine adapter, it goes as follows...the adapted lens will engage the K-mount and that is as deep as it goes. Such may not be the case with the Helios 44-2. IIRC all Helios 44-2 variants have a narrow mount flange that engages most M42 bodies, but does not engage the wider-opening K-mount. As a result, they work better with brand-X adapters that sit flush or with flanged adapters; though with any non-flanged adapter, there is potential for light leak at the two adapter "notches".

Steve

(...My Helios 44-3 is similarly narrow-reared and I use a thin flanged adapter with it...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-01-2020 at 09:01 AM.
12-01-2020, 07:44 AM   #32

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thank you for your reply.
I will stay with my made up ring I made as it works with the Mamiya and Rikenon. The Helios did not need a ring. All infinity focus results are acceptable by my standards even at 100% magnification in LR. They will need to go through some sharpening which I will do in Topaz sharp AI.

Another question about the K5. in the menu under the Camera section, I have some option that are highlighted in gray which mean I can not adjust them.
Example-
Pg 1- lens correction
Pg 2- Cross processing, Extended Bracketing, Digital Filter and HDR Capture
Pg 4- Shake reduction (I do have this item in Live View highlighted in white)
I have same in other menu pages.

Under the wrench tool pg:
Pg 4- Dust alerts
I went through the owner manual and followed the set up steps.
I do not plan to use them all but the HDR and Shake reduction may be a useful item to have and able to change as needed.
I guess I missed something, any assistance would be appreciated.
Thank you and stay safe.
12-01-2020, 09:00 AM   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jush501 Quote
Another question about the K5. in the menu under the Camera section, I have some option that are highlighted in gray which mean I can not adjust them.
Grayed out options simply mean that the choice is not compatible or applicable for the current camera mode. For example, lens correction is only available for Pentax DA series, D FA series, and a few FA series lenses. Dust alerts may only be done when when an AF lens is mounted *. Digital filters and extended bracketing are only available when shooting JPEG (both involve in-camera processing that is not applied to RAW).

The user manuals for newer models have a compatibility table for special features.

Steve

* The camera defocuses the lens as part of the dust detection process.

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-02-2020 at 09:27 AM.
12-01-2020, 09:34 AM   #34

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Grayed out options simply mean that the choice is not compatible or applicable for the current camera mode. For example, lens correction is only available for Pentax DA series lenses and a few FA series. Dust alerts may only be done when when an AF lens is mounted *. Digital filters and extended bracketing are only available when shooting JPEG (both involve in-camera processing that is not applied to RAW).

The user manuals for newer models have a compatibility table for special features.

Steve

* The camera defocuses the lens as part of the dust detection process.
Thank you. This clears it up.

12-02-2020, 01:44 AM - 1 Like   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
This you can achieve with a very simple trick:
The orig. M42 adapter has a tiny spring (red arrow): This spring locks your adaptor within a certain position.
If you remove the spring (tiny screw) and then screw the adapter tightly onto your lens, the adaptor will not lock in the usual position but move further (about 1/4 turn)
and thus the rear of the lens assembly will be closer to the sensor:
Sorry, but I don't think so, at least not with the Mamiya/Sekor or the Rikenon. I work a lot with adapted M42 lenses. With the genuine adapter, it goes as follows...the adapted lens will engage the K-mount and that is as deep as it goes
Yes of course ... you are plain right. I mixed this up. Corrected!
Such may not be the case with the Helios 44-2. IIRC all Helios 44-2 variants have a narrow mount flange that engages most M42 bodies, but does not engage the wider-opening K-mount. As a result, they work better with brand-X adapters that sit flush or with flanged adapters; though with any non-flanged adapter, there is potential for light leak at the two adapter "notches".
Yes, this is the case with my Helios 44.2 2/58 as well as with my Takumar 58mm