Photos: Gallery
Vintage lenses issues with K5

Hello everyone,
I need some advise!
Vintage lenses:
Helios 58mm f2
Mamiya 55mm f1.4
RIkenon 55mm f1.4
They do not focus to infinity on my Nikon's equip.
Got Pentax K5 with the M42 Pentax adapter.
The issue:
Great focus/sharpness up to about 50-65 ft. However, focusing to infinity bring VERY soft results(center) to the point photos look fuzzy. LAso focus ring does not go all the way to infinity when trying to focus on subjects that are at least 200-300 ft away.
I was advised that with Pentak K mount and M42 Pentax adapter there should not be any infinity focus issue.

Am I doing something wrong?
I also checked the flange distance for the camera and lenses.
Pentax - 45.46mm
Mamiya/Rekinon -43.5mm
Helios- 45.5mm
Any assistance will be appreciated.
Stay safe.

11-28-2020, 05:07 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some lenses focus beyond infinity. I would be very surprised if the camera and/or adaptor are the problem

Try focussing on your distant object in Live View (no Focus Peaking on the K-5 though), or using the focus confirmation beep, rather than trusting the infinity mark on the lens.
11-28-2020, 05:11 PM   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree with Sandy - many older lenses simply push past the infinity mark; try backing off infinity just a smidge and see if this clears up the long focus of these lenses....
11-28-2020, 05:33 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Are you using the 'official' Pentax adapter, or a copy ? I have heard that the copies can have issues focussing to infinity, although I have no personal experience. Might be worth searching for threads on this topic.

11-28-2020, 05:42 PM   #5
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have both an original and copy and they both focus fine. However, a flange style adapter will not focus to infinity because of the thickness of the adapter. Can you post a picture of the adapter you are using?
11-28-2020, 06:20 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jush501 Quote
I also checked the flange distance for the camera and lenses.
Pentax - 45.46mm
Mamiya/Rekinon -43.5mm
Helios- 45.5mm
Out of curiosity, how was this done? (Unless your Helios 58mm is M39 Zenit, all four are supposed to be 45.46mm.) I own the Rikenon 55/1.4, Helios 44M 58/2.0, and Helios 44-3 58/2.9 and have no problems with infinity focus (the same with Mamiya/Sekor 55/1.8).

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-29-2020 at 02:44 PM.
11-28-2020, 08:50 PM   #7

Original Poster
Vintage lens issue with K5

Thank you for your input.
I have an original Pentax made in Japan M42 adapter ,when installed it is level with the camera body.
When focusing on infinity, I do use the Focus confirmation beep and in camera. Lenses(except Helios are set on M)
Tomorrow(it is night now) I will try Pentax Takumar 135mm f3.5 M42 lens and see how it works.
I will also try to focus on infinity without giving attention to the focus confirmation and see how it works.
Thank you again.
I will keep you posted.

11-29-2020, 07:34 AM   #8

I have the same problem with my K5 and manual focus lenses. I am more likely to have correct focus confirmation when I set the camera to center point focus. Mostly I use live view as that gives consistently goods results.
11-29-2020, 08:05 AM   #9

Hi all
I also have issues with M42 to pk,
I got an adaptor some time ago to use enlarger lenses on an M42 bellows or extension tubes and for this purpose as I can get a macro image no problems.
Like some other posters on here I have just bought a Helios 44-2 and a Helios 44-4 and wished to use them on either my Pentax Kr or its replacement Pentax k 5 iiis.
With the adaptor I have it will focus on a subject that is about 1 foot away anything further or closer is blurry.
I know there is nothing wrong with either lens as I bought M42 to Sony adaptor and they both work super on my A6000.
The Sony to M42 adaptor is about an inch thick from front to back as are other adapter to canon or Nikon for example, but the ones I see for M42 to pk are very thin looking.
My adaptor is about 14 mm from from rear mount to front and only says "Pk Japan " on it.
I'm a little baffled now as to what I need to make these lenses work, I'd greatly appreciate a link to something others users know works.
Regards Shane
11-29-2020, 11:02 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The original M42 adapter has "Pentax" or "Asahi Pentax" printed on it, engraved in early versions.
It is also know as 30120 or K M42-Adapter.

Copies are on the market in large quantities, Quenox:
Quenox Adapter f
Kipon:
Kipon Adapter f
Hama and many others. Often very cheap from China.

Those share in common, that there is no rim which sits on the K-bajonett.

Then there are companies which produce both, the one's without rim and those with rim, Fotodiox is an example:
amazon.com : Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter (Blk), M42 Lens (42mm thread Mount) Lens to Pentax (PK) Camera, fits Pentaxist DS, DS2, D, DL, DL2, K10D, K20D, K100D, K110D, K200D, K100D Super, K-5, K-7, K-30, K-r, K-x, K-m, (K-m A.K.A. K2000), K-01, Samsun?tag=pentaxforums-20&

Usually those with a rim are black. Infinity is not possible with those of course.
But they can be useful for very old M42 lenses with diameter smaller than the K-mount.

A good example is the Takumar 58/2:
Takumar 58mm F2 Reviews - M42 Screwmount Normal Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

A very interesting lens but when used on the standard M42-adapter without a rim it can have 1 problem: light enters to the sensor, because the K-mount surface is not completly covered.

Some old lenses can be adjusted for infinity, I remember I did that once with a Takumar 50/4macro which was anyway out of alignement, so I adjusted infinity in the lens which was not too difficult.

My own approach is different:
On my very special M42 lenses such as the Takumar 50/1,4 8-element I have the orig. Adapter but fix.

On cheaper lenses such as the Takumar 55/1,8 a cheaper Hama Adapter, better than the modern Chinaversions, again fix.

Maybe a more expensive approach, but I want to be able to use my M42's without having to insert the adapter first into the body and then
take it out again.
11-29-2020, 11:39 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thank you for your input,
Here is a picture of the M42, silver mount I installed on the K5.
This morning I tested the Takumar 135mm f3.5, when magnifying it 32 times it s look FUZZY when focusing to infinity. It looks OK/good when reducing magnification on the rear view screen to X10.
I am getting a Sigma 17-55mm f2.8 with Pentax K mount and will test pictures with that lens . I will take same subject with same distance to subject and this will confirm that the camera is doing its job.
11-29-2020, 11:44 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can't see the picture of your adapter???
Anyway:
The Tak 135/3,5 should focus well at infinity, 135mm lenses are the easiest to manufacture, that's why a good 135 can be that awesome (F135/2,8 for example).
So let us know what you find out with your new Sigma!
11-29-2020, 01:05 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I have an original Pentax made in Japan M42 adapter ,when installed it is level with the camera body.
The original should fit loose in the mount and should be slightly below the mount face when no lens it attached. When a lens is attached, the mount flange on the lens should engage the flange on the body and snug the adapter against its tangs. Infinity focus is determined by engagement of the lens flange to the body flange and is not dependent on the mount.

When focusing on infinity, I do use the Focus confirmation beep and in camera. Lenses(except Helios are set on M)
I suggest using magnified live view. I also suggest focusing with the lens aperture wide open and stopping down for exposure.

Again, I cannot over-emphasize that attaining infinity focus is dependent on the lens mount flange being engaged to the camera body flange. There are some German and Soviet lenses that have very narrow rears that engage German or Soviet cameras of the time, but which are too narrow to engage most other M42 bodies or the K-mount camera flange.

What variant Helios 44 are you using?

Steve
11-29-2020, 01:18 PM   #14

Original Poster
Sorry,
Here are the photos of the M42 adapter I am using on the K5.
Attached Images

11-29-2020, 01:37 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thank you for your input,
Here is a picture of the M42, silver mount I installed on the K5.
This morning I tested the Takumar 135mm f3.5, when magnifying it 32 times it s look FUZZY when focusing to infinity. It looks OK/good when reducing magnification on the rear view screen to X10.
I am getting a Sigma 17-55mm f2.8 with Pentax K mount and will test pictures with that lens . I will take same subject with same distance to subject and this will confirm that the camera is doing its job.
Anything over 100% viewing will be fuzzy, keep that in mind! The last couple levels of zoom are beyond pixel level if I remember correctly.