Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
12-04-2020, 12:30 PM   #16

As I recall Windows 10 only supports PEFs from up to the K-5 or K-3. Shows the preview thumbnails fine from my K10D.

I might be wrong but I seem to recall if you install the Adobe Camera Raw and DNG converter Windows will then show PEF thumbnails up to what ever camera PEFs Adobe supports.

Irfanview should show the preview thumbnails if you install the plugin but I don't know what the most recent body it supports.

12-04-2020, 12:50 PM - 1 Like   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by automorphism Quote
The "Pix" program available in many Linux distros can open all the Raws at once in a folder and give you a preview of the each of the Raws but it just looks at the thumbnail an doesn't actually open the Raw data itself.
Gnome's Nautilus file browser supports thumbnails for both DNG and PEF. The same is true of KDE Plasma's Dolphin.

Steve
12-04-2020, 01:58 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
FWIW, I prefer to not have Windows open preview thumbnails for RAW files. The process eats time
I wonder if this maybe the root of the OPs problem. If i open a folder containing DNG TIFF JPEG files, the DNG are always the last to show a picture preview. Occasionally the DNGs only show up after i close and re-open the folder

Perhaps it is just a resources issue
12-04-2020, 02:18 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Perhaps it is just a resources issue
Perhaps, though Windows 10 is pretty well-known for not supporting PEF and several other RAW file types. I installed the Adobe DNG codec myself; otherwise, it would probably not be supported either on my system.

Steve

12-04-2020, 02:33 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Have you tried the MS Raw Image Extension app?
Microsoft Releases Free RAW Image Viewer Extension for Windows 10
Don't know if PEF is included here. With my Pentax cameras I always select the DNG option.
12-04-2020, 03:23 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Other legally-free software that I have successfully used to open both PEF and DNG files (from K10, K20 and K3) are IrfanView and XnView - both have editing facilities too, and can be set up to open fies in other editors, including Photoshop. Irfanview will open the embedded JPG file unless set up to open the RAW file, of whatever variety, in Options.
12-04-2020, 06:18 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
FWIW, I prefer to not have Windows open preview thumbnails for RAW files. The process eats time and I tend to be impatient. As a result, I do my culling after import into Lightroom and use the Library module for that task.

If one needs a fast means to do initial screening/culls, the free version of Fastone is very decent for that purpose.

FastStone Image Viewer - Powerful and Intuitive Photo Viewer, Editor and Batch Converter

Steve
Thank you! Works like a dream!

12-05-2020, 12:25 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

Irfanview IrfanView - Official Homepage - One of the Most Popular Viewers Worldwide will preview most formats virtually instantly and can generate a page of thumbnails, in any pre-configured size, at the press of the "T" key. It can also be configured to open the required file, in any processing/editing program you choose, at the press of a couple more keys, "Shift+1" and upwards.
The program can also be used for very basic dust-spotting, cropping and resizing without ever having to open a bigger package
12-05-2020, 02:41 AM   #24

Search for Windows Raw image extension.
Download and it allows you to view PEF files in Windows 10 picture viewer.
You can even apply the Windows edits ad save as a jpeg
12-07-2020, 02:50 PM   #25
Forum Member

Windows 10

I too, have Windows 10 and have no problem viewing the PEF thumbnails.
12-07-2020, 05:37 PM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Retro Snapper Quote
Search for Windows Raw image extension.
Download and it allows you to view PEF files in Windows 10 picture viewer.
You can even apply the Windows edits ad save as a jpeg

Yep, but shooting in DNG is less effort

Hang up and DRIVE!
12-07-2020, 06:32 PM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeMcE Quote
Yep, but shooting in DNG is less effort
A few mouse clicks isn't much effort. And shooting in DNG doesn't solve the problem for existing PEFs