Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
12-04-2020, 06:57 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What software to view PEF files in folders on a PC?

A quick question for y'all. When I go to my photo files with my RAW PEF files in my PC, I only see generic icons instead of a preview of the image. So unless I take and save both JPG and PEF files, I don't have any way to preview images, I have to open them up individually in Photoshop and view them there. Is there some add-on software that I can use just to scan image files in my folders?

12-04-2020, 07:35 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stemked Quote
A quick question for y'all. When I go to my photo files with my RAW PEF files in my PC, I only see generic icons instead of a preview of the image. So unless I take and save both JPG and PEF files, I don't have any way to preview images, I have to open them up individually in Photoshop and view them there. Is there some add-on software that I can use just to scan image files in my folders?
What operating system are you running ? On windows 10 I can see the preview thumbnails of both PEF and DNG raw formats in a normal folder.

There is a raw image extension download that will enable you to view a raw file in windows applications like photo viewer, you may need that for an older OS, and that may enable you to see the previews. An updated version of windows 10 should already have it

You will of course only be viewing the jpeg-preview contained within the raw file. To view the raw image itself you will need to open it in a raw converter like Adobe Camera Raw (inside Photoshop/Lightroom)
12-04-2020, 07:41 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
What operating system are you running ? On windows 10 I can see the preview thumbnails of both PEF and DNG raw formats in a normal folder.

There is a raw image extension download that will enable you to view a raw file in windows applications like photo viewer, you may need that for an older OS, and that may enable you to see the previews. An updated version of windows 10 should already have it

You will of course only be viewing the jpeg-preview contained within the raw file. To view the raw image itself you will need to open it in a raw converter like Adobe Camera Raw (inside Photoshop/Lightroom)
It is actually version 10. Hmmm. We have two PCs, both running 10 and neither can see PEF files. Curious
12-04-2020, 07:43 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is there some add-on software that I can use just to scan image files in my folders?
I find that the FastStone Image Viewer is convenient for previewing images. It supports many file types and formats, including PEF files. And it's fast.

FastStone is freeware, but the creators would be happy to receive any donations.

FastStone Image Viewer - Powerful and Intuitive Photo Viewer, Editor and Batch Converter

- Craig

12-04-2020, 07:47 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
On my windows 10 (latest version) I can only see thumbnails for DNGs not PEFs regardless which program is set to load the PEF. I always have my RAW files set to DNG as I understand that they are basically the same but maybe with some EXIF information differences. I will stick with DNG.
12-04-2020, 08:04 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FastStone can show PEF thumbnails.
12-04-2020, 09:27 AM   #7

I seem to remember having to install a codec to make my win 10 machine show pef thumbs.
A quick search on the interwebs showed that download.cnet.com has a codec pack. Stick to known sources for the download, and you'll be fine.

Kirk B.

12-04-2020, 09:42 AM   #8
Pentaxian

PENTAX RAW codec software for Windows : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

maybe this may help. It's a bit old though (2010)
12-04-2020, 09:53 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevejo Quote
PENTAX RAW codec software for Windows : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

maybe this may help. It's a bit old though (2010)
It is SLOWWWWW, very SLOWWWWW...

(Just tried it and immediately uninstalled...took two tries on the uninstall.)

Steve
12-04-2020, 09:56 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Just checked out the install on the Ricoh site. It installed ok - wanted a reboot and went through a bit of a set up when restarted, otherwise didn't cause any problems (yet). However it also still does not show the PEF thumbnails, so best not to bother with that one.
12-04-2020, 10:03 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is actually version 10. Hmmm. We have two PCs, both running 10 and neither can see PEF files. Curious
I would suggest you change the raw format in camera to DNG. I have not used PEF for over 10 years and I always shoot raw. maybe DNG is more likely to show up in win10.

You would still need to update the win 10 to see older files. Look here How to Open RAW Image Files on Windows 10
12-04-2020, 10:29 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Adobe provides a DNG converter you can use to batch convert your PEF files to DNG. I have no problem seeing PEF thumbnails from my K5 but K3 and K1 don't work, so I switched to DNG in camera years ago. But the DNG converter works great for any of your existing PEF files.
Adobe Digital Negative Converter
12-04-2020, 10:44 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

FWIW, I prefer to not have Windows open preview thumbnails for RAW files. The process eats time and I tend to be impatient. As a result, I do my culling after import into Lightroom and use the Library module for that task.

If one needs a fast means to do initial screening/culls, the free version of Fastone is very decent for that purpose.

https://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

Steve
12-04-2020, 11:30 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It is SLOWWWWW, very SLOWWWWW...

(Just tried it and immediately uninstalled...took two tries on the uninstall.)

Steve
Is "Shotwell" or "RawTherapee" any faster?
I use Linux, so I cannot test software on Windows.
12-04-2020, 12:09 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Is "Shotwell" or "RawTherapee" any faster?
I use Linux, so I cannot test software on Windows.
Rawtherapee is a good editor but is not fast for quick preview. The "Pix" program available in many Linux distros can open all the Raws at once in a folder and give you a preview of the each of the Raws but it just looks at the thumbnail an doesn't actually open the Raw data itself.