Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2020, 02:04 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lens hoods

Been looking for a new lens hood for my DA L 55-200mm. Have looked at thousands on the bay. How deep should lens hood be or is there a standard depth from front to back

12-04-2020, 02:39 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dipo 1 Quote
Been looking for a new lens hood for my DA L 55-200mm. Have looked at thousands on the bay. How deep should lens hood be or is there a standard depth from front to back
If you want the hood made for the lens, it is readily available. The non-WR version takes the PH-RBA 52 mm (~$35 USD) and for the WR version, the PH-RBC 52 mm for the same price.

Steve
12-04-2020, 02:40 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am assuming the lens accepts 52 mm filters, and that would most likely be the spec for a lens hood. You may want to check the lens itself to see if that is the lens diameter spec.There is something like this "Sensei 52mm Screw-on Tulip Lens Hood" type hood at B and H (shortcut below) which is not very expensive. There are also other 52 mm choices, that is only one of them. I myself prefer the tulip type hood. B and H is quite reputable, so at least that would be a trusted resource with customer service. Also, as has been said, an original Pentax hood is available.

Sensei 52mm Screw-on Tulip Lens Hood LHSC-52 B&H Photo Video
12-04-2020, 02:44 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I am using a hood from JJC, p/n LH-RBD, on my DA 50-200. Works fine. Cheap and available from many different vendors.

12-04-2020, 03:14 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I've tried these "Sensei 52mm Screw-on Tulip Lens Hood" type hoods myself - only issue I found (and I have not tried this particular make) is that each time they are fitted, they need aligning before the retaining ring is screwed 'tight' (but not too tight), and they have no facility for using adjustable filters such as circular polarisers without rotating the entire hood, which then needs re-aligning. The hood designed for the lens, whether the original Pentax or another of the same design, has a cut-out to facilitate use of these filters - the lack of frustration, at least in my case, outweighs the extra cost !!

I also have Pentax film-era zooms from 28-80 to 35-135, which I use with metal circular hoods - even with CPL filters, this is usually satisfactory, as the hood needs no particular alignment, but rotates with the filter, and as only the inner portion of the lens is used to form the image on the sensor (over simplification, I know), vignetting is seldom an issue.
12-06-2020, 12:13 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks all as usual great advice