Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2020, 12:59 PM   #1

Pentax 60-250 mm

I recently purchased this lens, which was adapted for full frame as well. I'm very pleased with the excellent results on my K-70, but wonder why there's a decrease in sharpness on my K-1
It also seems to focus slower.. It's not a huge problem as a little bit of post processing does give good results, but I'm still wondering about the difference. Does anyone have the same experience?

12-09-2020, 01:35 PM   #2

Sometimes photographers find that images from their new camera with higher pixel count are not as sharp as the images from their older camera with lower pixel count. Could that be a factor?

Also it is possible that the the focus on the K-70 is accurate or very close to accurate and that the focus is off on the K-1. I.E. you may have to play with the autofocus adjustment settings.

Otherwise it would be better to post photos for comparison.
12-09-2020, 02:05 PM   #3

Original Poster
You might be right about the more accurate focus on the K-70 in combination with this lens. I did play with the autofocus adjustment setting.. he issue does not exist with the SMC Pentax DA 200 mm . Thank you krazny.
12-09-2020, 02:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by timoclan Quote
I recently purchased this lens, which was adapted for full frame as well. I'm very pleased with the excellent results on my K-70, but wonder why there's a decrease in sharpness on my K-1
It also seems to focus slower.. It's not a huge problem as a little bit of post processing does give good results, but I'm still wondering about the difference. Does anyone have the same experience?
Mine needed a -3 adjustment on the K1, but when I used the K3 it worked well at zero adjustment.

Last edited by les3547; 12-09-2020 at 03:07 PM.
12-09-2020, 02:22 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you saying the center is less sharp or corners?

Does using live view give better results?

When you did the af fine tuning did you use dot tune method? The normal Method isn’t bad, but if you’re having issues try the alternate method.
12-09-2020, 02:50 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I did a quick session with a full frame modified unit. overall the AF performance was ok, quite quick and with minimal hunting. What didn't strike a cord with me was the optical quality. I admit I didn't check the focus calibration, I just mounted and shot, but still, I was not very impressed.
12-09-2020, 03:17 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did play with the autofocus adjustment setting.
I used 60-250 on both K-3II and K-1II. Both images were of similar quality. If things on the K-1 are a bit off you might need to fine tune the autofocus. Note that "playing" with it does not really help except by pure luck. AF Fine Tune needs to be done very precisely and carefully. On tripod, precisely aligned in both planes and focusing on a focusing chart. If not done correctly the margin of error is larger than the actual error.

12-10-2020, 08:55 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shyrsio Quote
I did a quick session with a full frame modified unit. overall the AF performance was ok, quite quick and with minimal hunting. What didn't strike a cord with me was the optical quality. I admit I didn't check the focus calibration, I just mounted and shot, but still, I was not very impressed.
As I asked the op. Did you try live view? That would help eliminate any focus accuracy problems. If that looks better then one can move to the stage of fine tuning if needed.
12-12-2020, 04:50 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I used 60-250 on both K-3II and K-1II. Both images were of similar quality. If things on the K-1 are a bit off you might need to fine tune the autofocus. Note that "playing" with it does not really help except by pure luck. AF Fine Tune needs to be done very precisely and carefully. On tripod, precisely aligned in both planes and focusing on a focusing chart. If not done correctly the margin of error is larger than the actual error.
Thank you for the answer.. Live view does give a small improvement, it seems, but, as said, it's not a big problem and there's charm in having a bit t smoother images..
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
12-12-2020, 06:20 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Live view does give a small improvement, it seems, but, as said, it's not a big problem and there's charm in having a bit t smoother images..
I used the 60-250 on both aps-c (K10D) and K-1. The image quality is superb, very sharp lens. If you are not getting it with the viewfinder you should do a AF Fine adjustment. As noted above you should adopt a scientific approach ..... one focussing attempt will probably not work.

How do you process the images you shoot ? Size; raw/jpeg; sharpening technique ?

Last edited by pschlute; 12-12-2020 at 06:29 AM.
12-12-2020, 07:18 AM   #11
Lev
Veteran Member

Can you post full resolution image taken on K-1?
12-12-2020, 07:27 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I used the 60-250 on both aps-c (K10D) and K-1. The image quality is superb, very sharp lens. If you are not getting it with the viewfinder you should do a AF Fine adjustment. As noted above you should adopt a scientific approach ..... one focussing attempt will probably not work.

How do you process the images you shoot ? Size; raw/jpeg; sharpening technique ?
Thank you. Let's give it another try. It's a sharp lens indeed, regarding the results on my K-70. (On which it also focusses a lot faster) This phot was processed in Photoshop and I start with the raw file. A 1600 iso shot and I did not sharpen it. Only used the Photo pop filter from Topaz Labs (mild settings)..
12-12-2020, 08:14 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you. Let's give it another try. It's a sharp lens indeed, regarding the results on my K-70. (On which it also focusses a lot faster) This phot was processed in Photoshop and I start with the raw file. A 1600 iso shot and I did not sharpen it. Only used the Photo pop filter from Topaz Labs (mild settings)..
I recently got a Sony A7RII and tried my in modified 60-250 on it. The images appeared to me to be exceptionally sharp. However I haven’t done any pixel peeping yet. There was strong vignetting in the extreme corners but I have a baffle to install to reduce that. I was quite impressed my copy seems to hold up at 42mp.
12-12-2020, 10:09 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I did not sharpen it. Only used the Photo pop filter from Topaz Labs (mild settings)..
Is there a sharpening tool in that Topaz filter ? All raw files need some output sharpening applied to them.
12-12-2020, 03:19 PM   #15
Pentaxian

No, sorry, as I said it was a quick session. I would love to spend some more time with the lens, I see it has some good reviews around.