Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2020, 04:18 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Identify this Leitax mount

I have the AEJ version of the Zeiss Contax 50mm Planar f 1.4. This lens has been Leitaxed, and I am seeking help in identifying the Leitax mount already installed on the lens. The throat of the Leitax mount is wider than the Pentax K mount so will not fit inside a Pentax SLR camera. Thanks for any assistance.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
12-09-2020, 07:11 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sony Alpha?

Steve
12-09-2020, 07:27 PM   #3

Alpha sounds right based on the relative location of the lock slot and "chip".

Is that a thumbprint or cleaning marks on the rear element?
12-09-2020, 08:38 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Sony Alpha?

Steve
Thanks for your response. I now have an answer back from David Llado, the Leitax man, and he tells me that it is a C/Y Zeiss mount. That raises another interesting question: Why would a Contax/Yashica Zeiss lens have a Leitax mount conversion kit installed if it were already a Contax/Yashica Zeiss lens? I suppose the original mount could have been damaged, or maybe this particular Zeiss lens was also produced in a different mount such a Nikon or Canon--pure speculation on my part. Actually, I am pleased to find that this is a C/Y mount as that means that I can use the lens on the Pentax K-1 using an available Fiodox C/Y-PK adapter, and the C/Y 50m f 1.4 supposedly is a stellar lens with its rounded aperture blades and Ninja bokay balls or stars.

---------- Post added 12-09-20 at 10:40 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Alpha sounds right based on the relative location of the lock slot and "chip".

Is that a thumbprint or cleaning marks on the rear element?
See my comment to Stevebrot. Yes, there was a finger smudge on the rear element, quickly removed with an optical cleaning cloth. Thank you for your interest and your comment.

12-09-2020, 10:08 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I did a deep dive on the Leitax site and think I have found what conversion was applied. Canon is one of the few mounts capable of conversion to the wide C/Y lenses (the AEJ Planar 50/1.4 being one of those as you noted). The conversion for the AE 50/1.4 is their AEG product.

Here is a link to the installation steps...Contax AEG mount for Canon

Compare screw locations to tangs, slot, and levers. The mount that is installed on your lens is definitely not C/Y.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-09-2020 at 10:23 PM.
12-10-2020, 04:15 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I did a deep dive on the Leitax site and think I have found what conversion was applied. Canon is one of the few mounts capable of conversion to the wide C/Y lenses (the AEJ Planar 50/1.4 being one of those as you noted). The conversion for the AE 50/1.4 is their AEG product.

Compare screw locations to tangs, slot, and levers. The mount that is installed on your lens is definitely not C/Y.

Steve
Thanks for your comments Steve. I have been thinking all along that this is most likely a Canon conversion, and only the direct assertion of David Llado has given me pause. I was hoping it would be C/Y as I could then use an available Fiodiox adapter to fit it to my K-1. Knowing that it is Canon is also a good thing, however, as it enables me offer it for sale with a proper description. One further request: Would the existing mount allow the lens to be used on present-day digital Canon cameras? or is it an older Canon mount? (Those may be ignorant questions as I have no knowledge of Canon mounts since the FL and FD days of old.)
12-10-2020, 08:58 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The mount is the same for AF SLR cameras whether film or digital.

12-10-2020, 09:09 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
The mount is the same for AF SLR cameras whether film or digital.
Thanks for the information.
12-10-2020, 04:44 PM   #9

Good to hear it was only a finger mark on the lens and not coating damage. Be a shame for such a fine lens to be blemished.
12-10-2020, 05:08 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster

Steve
Steve: David sent a further clarification:

"Hello Ivan,

The Leitax mount converts the lens to be used on Canon EF cameras.

Under the Leitax mount there is the original C/Y mount of the lens.

Best regards; David"

So now I think I can take off the C/Y Leitax fixture and use a C/Y - PK adapter to use this lens on the K-1.
12-10-2020, 05:40 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Steve: David sent a further clarification:

"Hello Ivan,

The Leitax mount converts the lens to be used on Canon EF cameras.

Best regards; David"

So now I think I can take off the C/Y Leitax fixture and use a C/Y - PK adapter to use this lens on the K-1.
Just keep in mind that a C/Y to K adapter is a 1.4x tele-converter with the corrective element or a short extension tube without it.
12-10-2020, 06:49 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
...minus a few parts. Refer to the installation guide linked in my post above to see what is missing.

Steve
12-11-2020, 06:20 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Just keep in mind that a C/Y to K adapter is a 1.4x tele-converter with the corrective element or a short extension tube without it.
Thank you for telling that; I did not know. I believe I would prefer a short extension tube! I have ordered an adapter, so will be curious to see what I get.