Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-09-2020, 04:31 PM   #1

we were given a pentax istD l camera by our granddaughter (long complicated story). She said it works just needs a new sim card. Seems to be a complicated camera for people 65 and 70. lol help please... should we just sell it and give money to granddaughter as her and father could definitely could use it?

12-09-2020, 04:49 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You'd need a Compactflash (CF) memory card to use with the *ist D camera:

Verbatim 2GB CompactFlash Memory Card, Black, Model Number: 47012: Electronics

Because of its age, the camera itself isn't really worth much. I'd just hang on to it!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-09-2020, 05:11 PM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge here

i think the OP has the * ist DL which does take an SD card based on what is on the Profile " about me " section
QuoteQuote:
About hysbyotch
Country
United States
Pentax Cameras
*ist DL
QuoteQuote:
Description:
The Pentax * istDL resembles the *istDS2 but was offered at a lower price point made possible by replacing the pentaprism with a pentamirror and removing some features, hereunder TTL flash support and display of the active AF point in the viewfinder. It has 3 autofocus points where the DS2 has 11.

Camera Manuals:

Operating Manual
Software Manual (Pentax Photo Browser 2.1, Pentax Photo Laboratory 2.1)

Read more at: Pentax *ist DL - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

here is where to find the manual

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/istdl.pdf

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-10-2020 at 07:36 AM.
12-09-2020, 05:46 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome. A DSLR can seem overwhelming at first, but with time it becomes a lot clearer.

12-09-2020, 06:32 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hysbyotch Quote
we were given a pentax istD l camera by our granddaughter (long complicated story). She said it works just needs a new sim card. Seems to be a complicated camera for people 65 and 70. lol help please... should we just sell it and give money to granddaughter as her and father could definitely could use it?
Welcome to the forum! The Pentax istD is no more complicated than a smart phone; it's more a matter if you want to use it for snapshots or photography. The camera can be as simple or as advanced as you wish.

I'm in the over 60 age and know that my mindset will make things either complicated or easy.

Due to the pandemic, been playing lots of new board games that initially seem really complicated, but I just went with the flow and learned them.

Selling it won't be easy and won't be worth much, compared to knowing why your granddaughter wanted to give you the camera and making images with it. Those images may not mean much to you or her now, but will be precious years from now.
12-10-2020, 07:14 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi, there, and welcome to the friendliest photography forums on the internet. Let me ask this question, since I am 64: Have you ever owned a camera before, and if so what was it? If it was an SLR from film days then this new camera shouldn't be much harder to operate, and possibly easier.
12-10-2020, 04:47 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There is no right age for DSLR photography. As said above, you will learn how to use it fast with the knowledge you can find here. It will be fun, enjoy your Pentax and welcome to the forum.

12-10-2020, 06:32 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome, and don't hesitate to contact us with any other questions.

First, get an SD card for your ist D-L camera as your model indicates, which is the "film" your photos will be recorded on. You might consider getting more than one. Unlike film, those can be erased after downloading the photos onto your computer, and reused. Using a card reader that can take SD cards is the best way to copy onto your computer, and these are not expensive. You won't have to pay for film processing, as you can then share your photos by sending them via the internet. If you have a printer, you can make prints if you want them, or you can have them printed. There is also the matter of batteries for your camera. You can use rechargeables, for which you need a charger, or throw-away lithiums, which are long-lasting. If the camera came with no owner's handbook, you can download one from the Ricoh/Pentax website, as given by aslyfox. And he is right, there are more than one istD cameras and they are different. It is important to know that it the model is the ist D-L taking SD cards, not CF cards.

I am also wondering which lens or lenses came with your camera?

Last edited by mikesbike; 12-10-2020 at 06:48 PM.
12-10-2020, 08:45 PM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

if necessary the OP can find the same information I found for the *1st DL for the other variants of the DL series by following this link:

Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Pentax Digital Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

and then clicking on the name of the camera
12-12-2020, 10:52 AM - 1 Like   #10
Forum Member

Being over 65 doesn't mean you can't learn new things, Forget your inhibitions and just play with it! You'll have fun,
12-12-2020, 12:23 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks like the OP disappeared.
12-14-2020, 04:11 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Looks like the OP disappeared.
"Only" been four days. With most forums, it could take four weeks to get a response. Abracadabra!
12-18-2020, 06:57 AM - 1 Like   #13

My first digital camera was a 1st DL which I bought second hand about a year ago. If you can work out how to join this forum and post a question, then you will have no problem using the camera. As the others have already said, 4 rechargeable batteries and a SD memory card will get you started. Don't go above 2GB as the camera will not read it. Down load the user manual as a reference. There are thousands of "DSLR for beginners" articles and videos on the internet, plus a wealth of knowledge from the guys here. Start with everything on "Green" for auto and start snapping. PS I was over 60 when I started.