Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2020, 12:41 PM   #46

A great 2 lens combo to start with is the DA16-85 and DA55-300 PLM,

12-12-2020, 02:38 PM   #47
Pentaxian

I would advice one zoom lens and a prime one. the prime I think could be a FA 50/1.4, and the zoom I would advice the Da 16-85, or if your budget is tight the Da 17-70
12-12-2020, 06:48 PM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by shyrsio Quote
I would advice one zoom lens and a prime one. the prime I think could be a FA 50/1.4, and the zoom I would advice the Da 16-85, or if your budget is tight the Da 17-70
Few people recommend the 17-70 which is a shame. The lens is excellent and I wish more would try it. But the SDM motor scares people.
12-13-2020, 01:49 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Having used the 18-135 plus the 55-300. Which was a great combo.

I now have settled on the 18-35 coupled with the 150-500 as my most used combination at the present time. I carry the tamron 90 as well.

How time and experience shape how you travel. ☺️

Last edited by FreeSpirit9; 12-13-2020 at 02:45 AM.
12-13-2020, 07:10 AM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sidney Porter Quote
If we focus on just starting out I could make the argument to get the kit WR lenses. After that decide if you need something, longer, wider or faster.

Most of my lenses are not WR so I still use the kit lenses when it think I will need them. I also will carry one of them as a different focal length option when I am going out for specific events. For example if I am going to something where I intend to use the tamron 70-200 f2.8 I might pack the kit 18-55. Or if I am going somewhere with the sigma 17-50 f2.8 I will take the 50-200 kit, I am not going to carry the tamron for a just in case moment
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
OP has not stated potential subject matter, so not easy to give specific advice. However, on my birding / photography outings, I take the 18-135, 55-300, plus two Sigmas, the 105mm macro and the 10-20 W/A zoom. This is with K3. Don't do 'Street' or 'Urban' photography, so can't help there, sorry.
QuoteOriginally posted by Lhorn Quote
If you were just starting out with Pentax auto focus lens and wanted good IQ, reasonable price and jack of all trades ability from 2 lenses, what would they be? From reviews Iím getting the impression DA 18-135 and DA 55-300 PLM would be a popular choice. Any others? Doesnít have to be Pentax branded lenses. Doesnít have to be weather sealed but all things otherwise being equal, WR would be a bonus.

Thanks. And it seems like an obvious question so if itís been covered already Iíd be glad to read up on other threads
I have only seen the above two posters even begin to address either the OPís current level of understanding photography or subject matter.

Without those 2 areas being addressed, all the remaining recommendations are just people pushing their personal preferences or experiences. They may not actually help the OP other than spend his money.

If you consider as a starting point the 2 kit WR lenses which are 18-55 and 50-200mm. They will give a good start to shooting, BUT depending on subject matter, the op will likely find 18mm is not wide enough, and /or 200mm is not long enough. However considering the value of the kit lenses, or more importantly the rebate you get for body only, these lenses are so cheap you might as well start with them unless you are really really sure you know what you want.

When I got my daughter a camera, I took a body only option and got her the DA 16-85. Because I knew she would want wider angle over length and this is about the best option. The difference between 16 and 18 mm at the wide end is much more significant than not having the reach of perhaps the 18-135 and any tele option leaves a huge unused overlap in the range. I would agree unless going to be super serious, an 15-85/55-300 pairing would make a pretty good kit.
12-13-2020, 08:17 AM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I have only seen the above two posters even begin to address either the OP’s current level of understanding photography or subject matter.
I took the OP's stipulation for "just starting out" literally, meaning that the student photographer probably doesn't understand much about photography, nor knows what he or she wants to shoot yet. Hence my recommendation for a dual zoom kit of the DA16-85 + DA55-300 PLM, covering 16mm through 300mm with no missing range and some crossover... and both WR, just in case. There's not a lot that can't be done with such a kit.

No doubt as the individual gains experience, they will find themselves enjoying or wishing to shoot one or two specific disciplines, and fine tune their choice of lenses accordingly.

Without those 2 areas being addressed, all the remaining recommendations are just people pushing their personal preferences or experiences. They may not actually help the OP other than spend his money.
I thought I'd made it perfeclty clear that I wasn't recommending what I myself would choose based on my current experience and preferences. My recommendation was mindful of the OP's stipulations, whilst aiming to cover as many general photographic situations as possible.

Personally, I wouldn't choose the DA16-85 for my own shooting needs. I wouldn't mind the HD DA55-300 PLM, but only in addition to my screw drive HD model, for reasons that aren't relevant to this thread... and there's little point to me owning both...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-13-2020 at 08:23 AM.
12-13-2020, 08:20 AM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
"Street" shooting is one of those places where one of the newest Pentax bodies paired with the DA 40 XS might make a lot of sense.

There are so many ways to go about this and none of them are wrong.

12-13-2020, 08:40 AM   #53
Pentaxian

Thanks for all the recommendations. A lot of compelling arguments. I think the 55-300 PLM will definitely be the choice longer zoom and prob my second lens.
For the first lens I really like what Iíve seen and has been said about the 16-85 but unless I run across a great deal it appears itíll cost a fair bit more than the 18-135. Current eBay prices have the 16-85 costing about 2.5-3x more than the 18-135.

Getting ahead of myself and starting to think about primes, the DA 50 seems hard to pass up for the crazy low price. I really like my Nikon 50/1.8 and expect that Iíll like the Pentax version too
Thanks
The 50mm f/1.8 is actually a very good lens. The 35/2.4 is probably more useful in general because of it's focal length, but I prefer using, and the results I get from, the 50mm.
12-13-2020, 10:13 AM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I took the OP's stipulation for "just starting out" literally, meaning that the student photographer probably doesn't understand much about photography, nor knows what he or she wants to shoot yet. Hence my recommendation for a dual zoom kit of the DA16-85 + DA55-300 PLM, covering 16mm through 300mm with no missing range and some crossover... and both WR, just in case. There's not a lot that can't be done with such a kit.

No doubt as the individual gains experience, they will find themselves enjoying or wishing to shoot one or two specific disciplines, and fine tune their choice of lenses accordingly.

I thought I'd made it perfeclty clear that I wasn't recommending what I myself would choose based on my current experience and preferences. My recommendation was mindful of the OP's stipulations, whilst aiming to cover as many general photographic situations as possible.

Personally, I wouldn't choose the DA16-85 for my own shooting needs. I wouldn't mind the HD DA55-300 PLM, but only in addition to my screw drive HD model, for reasons that aren't relevant to this thread... and there's little point to me owning both...
Mike, I didnít take your post as a specific example but since you have responded to my comment, in this manner, I will simply point out that none of what you explain here is actually stated in your first post.

I donít disagree with the recommendation, other than as I generalized for most of the people who responded, you did not make it clear as to the basis of the recommendation.
12-13-2020, 10:35 AM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My longtime favorite kit for travel/landscape/nature/wandering around is two KPs, one with the 15 Limited and other with the 55-300 PLM.
12-13-2020, 10:36 AM - 1 Like   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mike, I didnít take your post as a specific example but since you have responded to my comment, in this manner, I will simply point out that none of what you explain here is actually stated in your first post.
I meant no offence, Lowell. I only wished to address your observation that "all the remaining recommendations are just people pushing their personal preferences or experiences", since mine was one of those "remaining recommendations" - and I guess I bristled at my input being dismissed, albeit in a non-specific manner.

I donít disagree with the recommendation, other than as I generalized for most of the people who responded, you did not make it clear as to the basis of the recommendation.
But I did...

My first response was posted an hour-and-a-half after the OP started the thread, at which point I didn't think it necessary to state that I'd actually taken on-board all of his salient points (I figured that was expected, and a given):

The DA16-85 plus DA55-300 PLM would make an excellent combo in terms of uninterrupted focal length range, image quality across that range, quiet AF and weather resistance.
After reading a few other responses, though, I thought some clarification might be worthwhile after all, with a follow-up three hours later that same morning (and well before you commented):

My recommendation for the DA16-85 and DA55-300 PLM wasn't based on personal preferences given my current level of experience and typical or favourite use cases. I took the OP's challenge very literally, with six stipulations guiding my choices - namely:

1) just starting out
2) Pentax auto focus lens
3) good IQ
4) reasonable price
5) jack of all trades ability
6) 2 lenses

My personal choices for a two lens kit to cover my own photographic pursuits these days would be different, but I didn't think that's what was asked
Frankly, I'm not sure how much clearer I could have been than that

I'll step out of this now, as the OP already has (and had) my recommendation and reasoning.

I apologise if my manner offended you, Lowell. I didn't intend that

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-13-2020 at 02:02 PM.
12-13-2020, 10:49 AM - 1 Like   #57
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

there has been at least one recommendation of a " limited " lens

time for my standard warning about the Pentax Limiteds

it is hard to stop at just one

QuoteQuote:
the limiteds do they live up to the reputation and why
Read more at: the limiteds do they live up to the reputation and why - Page 26 - PentaxForums.com

12-13-2020, 11:06 AM   #58
Pentaxian

'Starting out' with zooms or with primes will teach you different skill sets (especially in the perspective/composition realm), each as valuable as the other. If you go for primes, the DA 40xs is definitely a great, cheap tool to learn on. Coupled with something either side of that (wider or longer - and older manual lenses are a treat to use and learn on) would be a great start in my book.

Edit: Oops, OP stated AF, so manual lenses are out... sorry about that.
12-13-2020, 11:31 AM   #59
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sergeremy Quote
. . . If you go for primes, the DA 40xs is definitely a great, cheap tool to learn on. . .
I agree

QuoteQuote:
Description:
The SMC Pentax DA 40mm XS is based on the optical design of the SMC Pentax DA 40mm Limited, but its exterior is designed by Marc Newson so as to match the design of the K-01 mirrorless camera. The lens will work with Pentax DSLRs as well as with the K-01.

It is smaller being only 9.2 mm thick. The aperture blades are rounded which produces a smooth bokeh. The front element has SP coating which repels dust, water and grease and which makes it easier to wipe the front element clean.

Read more at: SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 XS Reviews - DA XS Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

QuoteQuote:
Pentax DA 35mm F2.4 vs 40mm XS vs 40mm Limited
Introduction

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/da-35mm-40mm-limited-xs-shootout/introd...#ixzz6gWx2TQiG
12-13-2020, 03:14 PM   #60
Pentaxian

From reviews I’m getting the impression DA 18-135 and DA 55-300 PLM would be a popular choice.
That would be an excellent choice. Hard to beat for all-around photography. It would provide high quality with minimal need for lens-changing, then a best-for-the-buck (both dollars and deer) tele range when needed. A fast lens for low light, portrait, and fast action, could be added later- such as a 50mm prime.