Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
12-14-2020, 03:56 AM - 2 Likes   #31
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GR Jim Quote
Thus I need to resort to certain optics like ND filters to make it all work.
I don't see how that ND is going to make an ounce of difference - is there something I don't understand about this?
My advice would be to run at base iso and make sure the exposure doesn't clip at all. If anything get your histogram half a stop from the right hand side.

12-14-2020, 05:46 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, that's the point. I've seen far too many photos of sunny places that have a flat, nearly colorless appearance due to the effects of strong sunlight. I need the nuances of shadow and rich colors that are difficult to capture in mid-day.
You should be able to get a good exposure in those conditions using ISO 100 f8 and 1/1000 sec. Bracket your shots and do a HDR merge in Photoshop to obtain a wider dynamic range in the image.

A 10 stop ND will simply mean you will need to use ISO 100 f8 and 1 second to get the same exposure. You will need a tripod and have the twin drawbacks of not being able to use autofocus or see anything through the viewfinder.

ND filters have their uses, but 10 stops are used to create extreme blur in things like moving water and clouds.
12-14-2020, 11:54 AM   #33
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A Polariser may make a difference - I use them here in NZ for forested landscape shots - it is surprising how polarised the glint off leaves is , even over great distances. Those of you who shoot in the desert landscapes would know how well they work.
12-14-2020, 12:47 PM - 1 Like   #34
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I need the nuances of shadow and rich colors that are difficult to capture in mid-day.
10 stops will reduce the normal correct exposure for sunlit snow to near black. Are you sure that is what you want? I use a 6-stop ND and it is overkill unless one wants to blur water in full sun. A polarizer might be a good option as might simply shooting early/late in the day.

Steve

12-15-2020, 09:30 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
I don't see how that ND is going to make an ounce of difference - is there something I don't understand about this?
My advice would be to run at base iso and make sure the exposure doesn't clip at all. If anything get your histogram half a stop from the right hand side.
I’m glad you said this. I was thinking I had missed something because that’s where my mind went also. Same amount of light, different exposure settings, no change in quality of light.