Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 38 Likes Search this Thread
12-18-2020, 11:55 AM - 4 Likes   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I love the name, clearly British where are you based? The camera club thing is good advice as is the advice about using your omd em5 which is a lovely camera. It has a smaller sensor (micro ⁴/³ ) which comes with issues but it is said to be great for birding. Have a look on YouTube at videos by Mike Browne. He covers all the basics also look at reviews of the Olympus as these will give you an idea what it can do.

One important piece of advice, Take Your Time. There is an overwhelming amount of info you will need to gather but you don't need it all yesterday.

Re. Buying Pentax, everything comes down to budget! Most people love their chosen model. We will help you, that's a given, but if you become one of us, the guidance and advice just never quits. There is no "need" for you to buy a Pentax, given what you have, but should you want to, you have lots of options. This is in order of cost and capability

K1/K1ii - £1k+, Pro, full frame, big files, great detail
KP £600+ Enthusiast, APSC (smaller than full frame), sharp and robust
K70 £400+ Entry/Enthusiast, APSC, mainly plastic but sturdy, may have weak solenoid*
K3/K3ii £300+ Pro/Enthusiast, APSC, built like a tank, great image quality
K5ii £250+, same as K3 but with less megapixels
K-S2 £250+, Enthusiast, APSC, may have weak solenoid*
K30/50 £150+ Entry/Enthusiast, APSC, may have weak solenoid*

And there are more. These are generalisations. Each Pentax camera is quite individual. The image quality is very good across the board, all have shake reduction and weather resistance (dependant on the lens) right back to the K10D (I think that's right). As for the *weak solenoid, most Pentax cameras are extremely rugged but there is a weakness that affects a very small number of specific models, that's why I wouldn't recommend them as such. I had a K30, brilliant starter camera, but the solenoid failed and the repair cost nearly as much as the camera. 80% will never miss a beat, but if you went with a K3/3ii or K5ii you won't have that problem.

12-18-2020, 01:33 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldgit Quote
Hi Guys I am almost totally new to photography despite owning a couple of Olympus and a couple of Panasonic point and shoot cameras with hopefully a Pentax XG1 arriving today a bridge camera. I also have an Olympus OM E M5 mirrorless micro 4/3 which I have not yet tried to use.
I am hoping to buy a DSLR Pentax and I am looking for advice really as to which camera to go for as a beginner /novice, should I buy new or buy one of the many second hand cameras I have found available?
I guess it will be a steep learning curve for me as I do not know about the technical terms and what they mean, ie, ISO, RAW, JPEG, etc, but I have been reading about the F setting for depth of field. How hard is it to get started with a DSLR as opposed to using point and shoot cameras?
Why have I chosen Pentax? Well its a name I remember from my teenage years in the Merchant Navy and a shipmate of mine was an avid photographer who used a quite old Pentax camera.
I should mention I am looking to take pictures of landscapes, plants and trees also wildlife and birds, also given the chance architecture.
Any advice will be most welcome, just please have patience with me being a complete beginner .
Welcome! To begin, I would start by dusting off that Olympus and learning how to use it, as using it is the same basic principles of a DSLR, basically learning exposure, and then the camera itself. As far as the Pentax, I would buy the newest camera that you can afford, that's the advice I give to everyone. The newer the camera is the more advanced it will be, longer it may last, and have a slower journey to obsolescence. Although no Pentax DSLR or SLR has reached that point yet, because there are people using all of them as you will see on this forum. You can learn just as well on any of them, none are geared toward beginners, some do have "scene modes", which are a "feature" that does everything for you. I would avoid those modes (not the cameras) as they do not help you learn how to use the camera, but the cameras are still capable of full manual control.

As far as all of those terms they will come. Don' t be afraid to ask questions, no question is bad, and don't be afraid to post a picture to get advice on it. Read this forum and you will learn a lot, participate and you'll learn a lot more. The nice thing about digital photography is you can get a nearly instant look at the photo you just took. Of course once you load it to the computer you will get a much better look.

You will get a lot of advice hear, especially when it comes to helping spend your money!
12-18-2020, 02:41 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Welcome! To begin, I would start by dusting off that Olympus and learning how to use it, as using it is the same basic principles of a DSLR, basically learning exposure, and then the camera itself. As far as the Pentax, I would buy the newest camera that you can afford, that's the advice I give to everyone. The newer the camera is the more advanced it will be, longer it may last, and have a slower journey to obsolescence. Although no Pentax DSLR or SLR has reached that point yet, because there are people using all of them as you will see on this forum. You can learn just as well on any of them, none are geared toward beginners, some do have "scene modes", which are a "feature" that does everything for you. I would avoid those modes (not the cameras) as they do not help you learn how to use the camera, but the cameras are still capable of full manual control.

As far as all of those terms they will come. Don' t be afraid to ask questions, no question is bad, and don't be afraid to post a picture to get advice on it. Read this forum and you will learn a lot, participate and you'll learn a lot more. The nice thing about digital photography is you can get a nearly instant look at the photo you just took. Of course once you load it to the computer you will get a much better look.

You will get a lot of advice hear, especially when it comes to helping spend your money!
Welcome to the forum. You are getting many answers already.
12-18-2020, 03:28 PM - 2 Likes   #19
dlhawes

To answer the original question, I respond, "Yeah, take pictures."; you'll figure it out.

12-18-2020, 05:46 PM - 2 Likes   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome. I would suggest studying photography principals and techniques, join a camera club or group to be around others that enjoy photography. Most importantly, go out and take photos with what you have, trying to incorporate what you learn. It's not about the gear. There will come a point when you realize your current gear is limiting what you want to do. By then you will have acquired enough knowledge and skill to determine what you need. Most importantly, have fun.
12-19-2020, 01:27 AM   #21

Original Poster
Thank you kindly Sir for your reply, I am over the moon to have received so many replies to my post, all offering valuable advice. I can see I am going to enjoy being in this group and will draw on the expertise of its members to try and help me in my new hobby.

---------- Post added 12-19-20 at 01:29 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
One way you can learn about some of the things you mentioned is to use a camera in trial shots for some time in its manual mode. This will force you to make adjustments in shutter speed, ISO, and lens settings, and in doing so, you'll see firsthand how they contribute to the image. A point-and-shoot may not allow you to do that (though many can) as easily as your DSLR would, so I would choose a DSLR for learning. When a camera makes settings for you automatically, you won't get a good feel for what it is doing or what is being adjusted so the trial-and-error method is best for gaining skills with your camera. When you have mastered these, then you can start making more use of the automated features, knowing when you need to override them for the best or desired results.

Good luck with you new-found interest in photography. It can provide you with a lifetime of rewarding activity.
Thank you kindly Sir for your reply, I am over the moon to have received so many replies to my post, all offering valuable advice. I can see I am going to enjoy being in this group and will draw on the expertise of its members to try and help me in my new hobby.

---------- Post added 12-19-20 at 01:32 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
One way you can learn about some of the things you mentioned is to use a camera in trial shots for some time in its manual mode. This will force you to make adjustments in shutter speed, ISO, and lens settings, and in doing so, you'll see firsthand how they contribute to the image. A point-and-shoot may not allow you to do that (though many can) as easily as your DSLR would, so I would choose a DSLR for learning. When a camera makes settings for you automatically, you won't get a good feel for what it is doing or what is being adjusted so the trial-and-error method is best for gaining skills with your camera. When you have mastered these, then you can start making more use of the automated features, knowing when you need to override them for the best or desired results.

Good luck with you new-found interest in photography. It can provide you with a lifetime of rewarding activity.
Thank you for your reply, it is much appreciated, overwhelmed with the amount of replies I have received , all of which will prove most useful.

---------- Post added 12-19-20 at 01:33 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by shyrsio Quote
You cannot go wrong with Pentax! The camera allows you to be a beginner an steadily make your way up. You could try with a second hand amateur camera, like the K-30 or K50, these cameras are quite capable and still simple and intuitive to use.
Thank you for your reply, much appreciated.

---------- Post added 12-19-20 at 01:36 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
There are some good YouTube videos /tutorials available covering the basics of photography and it will probably be clearer presented that way than explaining it in a post.

Nevertheless I try to give you some pointers. ISO is the sensitivity of the film or the sensor, shutter speed is the duration of time you expose the film/sensor to the light when taking a picture and the F-stop determines how big or small the aperture is when taking the image. Together those three form the exposure triangle. As you probably have read aperture influences the depth of field you get with an image (wide open a shallow DOF, closing down the lens leads to a larger DOF), shutter speed also influences the image you get depending on your subject (fast shutter speeds to freeze the action and get a sharp images of moving wildlife, cars, ... or slower speeds to introduce some motion blur), high ISO values introduce more grain for film and more noise for digital (for film it might be desired but digital noise is not good looking so you usually try to have a low ISO value).
When have a correct exposure with a given combination of ISO - shutter speed - aperture and you want to change one of those settings you will have to change at least one of the other two too to get a correct exposure again (for instance: you want to double your shutter speed to eliminate some motion blur, to counteract that you either have to double your ISO value or open the aperture for one F-stop).

As for RAW versus jpeg, it is a diiferent form of how the data of the sensor is saved. RAW saves every detail the sensor registeres and can be seen as more like a negative in film days, it gives you many options to process your image, like developing a film, in the end you have to export the image as a jpeg or some other image format to watch the image on other devices like a mobile phone or television.
When saved as jpeg the camera already does the processing for you. The advantage is that you get a much smaller image size and you can immediatly watch your images on every other device you like, the disadvantage is that you have not much leeway to correct the images when needed or desired because much of the information is lost due to the compression of the data.
When doing low light or night photography RAW also has a big advantage over jpeg, because RAW has a greater dynamic range. With jpegs you often have to make a HDR image (2 or more different exposed images merged together to capture all the details in the light and dark areas) whereas with RAW a single exposure might be enough to gather the necessary data.

I think most (or all) digital cameras have the option of a manual shooting mode so you can experiment with the exposure triangle with all of them. Unfortunately the Pentax XG1 doesn't offer RAW, but that doesn't mean it can't produce good images you just have to make some processing decisions before taking a picture (most importantly check white balance (artificial light, sunlight, shade,... have different color temperatures and WB corrects that or you get yellow or blue color casts in your images)).

Have fun with your new hobby.
Regards Patrick
Wow thank you so much for taking time to write a reply to my questions, I will take on board all advice given from the members of this group.

---------- Post added 12-19-20 at 01:37 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rodcy Quote
Hi and welcome. I'm a happy Pentax KP user - it has good image quality and is not a big as a full frame. If you can get to a Pentax dealer it would be good to handle a few bodies. If you are into landscape then RAW really is a must.
Thank you Sir for your reply, much appreciated.

---------- Post added 12-19-20 at 01:41 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
Welcome to the forum. One of the questions you need to ask yourself is are looking at this just as an occasional use thing, or do you see yourself as an enthusiast looking to advance over time.

If you just want something for occasional use but not looking to dive into the deep end, something like the k-70 would likely be a good place to start.

If you see yourself getting advanced, then get the best you can afford. The K3 and K3II are workhorses (the original has a pop-up flash, the mkII replaced the flash with built in GPS for out of the box Astrotracer). The KP is the newest and will have slightly better image quality than the K3's, but there are many tradeoffs in ergonomics and features. These are all ASP-C cameras, which is a bit larger sensor than your m43 cameras.
Hello Sir thank you for your reply, I gave up alcohol 3 months ago after many years of drinking, I now find I have far more time on my hands and photography seems the perfect hobby to me to spend some time each weekend doing. I have reached the age of 60 now so hopefully I will have a few more good years in me yet to enjoy my free time.

---------- Post added 12-19-20 at 01:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
I agree with WileyB; spend some time with the camera(s) you have first. That's not because it's any more difficult to start with a DSLR; it isn't. Any DSLR will have an automatic exposure mode and autofocus settings that will allow you to use it as a point-and-shoot. The thing about a DSLR, or a Micro Four Thirds camera such as your Olympus, is that it's not just a camera, it's a system. No need to jump into a new system at this point, given what you already have.

I'd start by concentrating on just taking pictures and not worrying too much about the technical aspects. Discover what kinds of subjects and images you like. When you do encounter technical problems (e.g., why is this shot overexposed?), you can start digging into the details. Enjoy.
Good day Sir, thank you for your reply, it is very much appreciated, all information and advice given to me is well received so thank you again.

---------- Post added 12-19-20 at 01:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Michail_P Quote
Welcome to the forum. First of all, enjoy your time with photography. That’s what matters. So you are intrigued by photography and had a try with various cameras , looking, searching for a pleasing image. Well, you’re gonna learn many things in here. Read the articles, even better, get one of the many books for amateur photography. Everyone’s learning curve is different. Take your time.
Your Olympus is a great camera. Read the manual, try different settings (manual of course) , play with shutter speed and aperture and try to understand what affects your photos. It doesn’t matter , for learning the basics, if it’s a dslr or not. As long as you can work the manual mode. Learn how to get the image you want.
If , after some time, you think you want another camera, Pentax is certainly a fantastic idea. Especially for outdoor photography. If suggestions are needed, you will find experienced users and a lot of reviews and photos/sampling here. Have a good time.
Greetings from Greece.
Wow a reply from Greece, a country I simply love, having spent so many holidays in various parts over the years, you are blessed with some beautiful places to take pictures of. Thank you kindly for your advice it is very much appreciated.

---------- Post added 12-19-20 at 01:50 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The XG-1 is labelled Pentax, but is missing many valuable Pentax features. I like it as a small camera for hikes etc, where I'm not expecting to need maximum IQ (Image Quality.) For photography your Olympus is you best camera. If you decide to go SLR it would be your best option for learning to understand the ILC DSLR experience.

Those terms are absolutely essential. ISO is the equivalent of film speed. It's the same as it was with film.

Point and shoot cameras have smaller sensors. Some aspects of photography like depth of field become harder to achieve as you move to larger sensors. So, the larger the camera, the more you'll have to do to master it.

Just some info on what you're looking at.

For Architecture you probably want a wide angle aspherical element lens. Like the Sigma 8-16 or Pentax 11-18. $700 minimum.
For landscape almost any lens will do. Supposing you bought and APS-c Pentax camera then 16-85 is your best option $700
Wildlife the best option on APS-c would be the DA 55-300 PLM $500-$600
For birding phogrpahy the DFA 150-450 is the best option even if it's close to$2500.

Unlike a bridge camera, with DSLRs you use the same body, but you'll spend more than the cost of a decent point and shoot every time you buy a lens, and you need different lenses for each function.

My advice at this point is use your Olympus OM E M5 to learn on, it looks like a fine camera for much (if not all) of what you want to do. But, if you truly wish to shoot Pentax, you need to do so before you spend a lot on Olympus lenses. Since the main advantage to DLSRs is the ability to change lenses to a lens tailored to specific function. once you buy into one brand, you probably won't want to switch.

With your Olympus you can explore...
How ISO relates to shutter speed and noise.
How DoF is affected by the Aperture setting.
Using equivalence, you can use the settings on your Olympus 4/3 to determine what lenses you might be most interested in on APS-c or 35mm camera.

The main thing is get out and shoot with the Olympus. it's unlikely you'll learn much relevant to larger sensor shooting with the XG-1 or a point and shoot.

Explore those things with your Olympus, if you want to expand your learning curve even more after that, you might consider an APS-c or FF camera. But, a new camera is pretty much a three month commitment to get comfortable with it, no matter what you shoot. Taking on more than one new to you camera at a time will significantly lengthen your learning curve.

If in fact it turns out these aren't things you want to learn to a level of being instinctive ( ISO vs noise, raw vs jpeg, shutter speeds and frozen action o blurred motion), wide DoF vs narrow DoF with regards to Aperture and subject isolation) etc. an Olympus is already over kill. It's a little scary you have an Olympus and aren't using it. That doesn't bode well for mastering an even larger sensor.

Based on what you've said so far, using point and shoots and ordering a bridge camera, and not using your Olympus my recommendation for you would be something like a Lumix ZS1000. It will do almost everything you want without having to get into multiple lenses etc. If you had said "I've mastered my Olympus and need better low light performance or more ability for narrow DoF subject isolation, I'd be much more enthusiastic in pointing you at a DSLR. You have a lot of capability you aren't using. And of course, I'm not in a position to evaluate what your level of commitment might be to seeing your way through to APS-c or FF.

Good luck on your journey.

PS, if you bought your Olympus to use older Pentax glass from film cameras, then a K-1 is the best option and the k-P is the best compromise.
A Basic kit to aim for with the K-P
K-P
DA 16-85
DA 55-300 PLM

Thne look at adding FA 100 macro
DA* 55 1.4.

Any other primes you might fancy.
Good morning Sir, thank you for your reply, I picked up the Olympus M5 for so little money it seemed a bargain I could not refuse . I will listen to your advice and take on board what you have said.

---------- Post added 12-19-20 at 02:06 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevejo Quote
All modern digital cameras have big advantages over film cameras in that it doesn't cost anything (other than a bit of electricity) to try it out and you can see the results straight away. You best plan is to give it a go and get a feel for what the settings are doing. The Olympus is a great place to start and should provide everything you need to grasp the fundamentals of photography.
There is always a temptation to get more gear but not really using it to produce good photographs. Fine if you can afford it but I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to add another system to what you have got.
If possible see if you can borrow a DSLR which may help you to understand what one of these would offer, over and above your mirrorless Olympus.
Hi , yes I have not purchased anything new, just cheap second hand cameras to date, I do not want to spend a lot of money on a new camera until I am sure I know what I want having read this advice earlier from another reply. Thank you for your advice.

---------- Post added 12-19-20 at 02:07 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
1. If you give the town near your location (do NOT write your address), there could be a nearby PF member who might be willing to meet (Covid rules permitting), e.g., in a café, show some Pentax gear and discuss photography with you.

2. There might be a photo club near you, where you will find other local club members willing to help you.

3. Some colleges offer introductory photography courses, e.g., at our local college: a 2-hour session every week for 5 weeks.

2 and 3 got me started in photography.

Philip
Thank you , good advice, and gladly accepted.

---------- Post added 12-19-20 at 02:09 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
I'm not sure how they might be meeting in these days of COVID, but look around for a/the local camera club. These exist almost everywhere, and will be full of knowledgeable, helpful people. They can help you with hands-on learning about the various settings of your camera(s).
For sure if and when covid has not gone but reduced in numbers, it will be a great idea thank you.

---------- Post added 12-19-20 at 02:11 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I agree wit the suggestions of using the camera you have to gain some level of familiarity with the technical fundamentals; specifically the "exposure triangle" or relationship between ISO, Shutter Speed (time) and Aperture (f-stop) and how a change in one affects the others in delivering the final result. Learning how aperture affects depth of field from the point of focus is also helpful. Autofocus is nice, no doubt, but becoming proficient in manually focusing to isolate or emphasize a subject makes a big difference. Your goal should be to employ the settings of your camera well enough to expect a decent resulting image, leaving little to chance (get it right in the camera, before pressing the shutter button". Practice, practice, practice.( and submit some images here on PF for friendly critiques, ask for advice)
Being able to understand and manipulate these three factors is the important first step to making images, rather than merely taking snap shots.

Not to say a point and shoot cannot deliver great images, the second most important step is the artistic factor of understanding composition, I'm not really taking about rules, only training yourself to pay attention to the objects in the frame of your viewfinder, and the arrangement and relationship between those objects (if there is one) . For this you don't really need a camera, just look at images, drawings, photos, paintings, that please you and figure out why they are pleasing to your eye. If you have learned the technical factors to the minimum level necessary to make real your artistic vision, you are on your way to being a photographer.
The best gear in the world will not make up for a lack of proficiency in the technical or artistic factors. Some of the most enduring and effective images in the world were produced on the most primitive cameras.

As for JPEG or RAW, don't worry about it for now, a good camera will produce at least good to great quality JPEGs. As you become more familiar with digital photography you can decide how deeply into post processing you wish to dive, and then RAW might become important.

As for a Pentax DSLR, great choice. You can get a high-quality used K-5 and a 50mm lens for a few hundred US dollars here on PF Marketplace. Yes, there are newer cameras here, but the K-5 is a very good camera with all the functionality and quality you could ask for, a camera you can grow into as your skills improve.
Good morning Sir, some excellent advice thank you for taking the time to reply to me, your time is very much appreciated indeed.

---------- Post added 12-19-20 at 02:16 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I love the name, clearly British where are you based? The camera club thing is good advice as is the advice about using your omd em5 which is a lovely camera. It has a smaller sensor (micro ⁴/³ ) which comes with issues but it is said to be great for birding. Have a look on YouTube at videos by Mike Browne. He covers all the basics also look at reviews of the Olympus as these will give you an idea what it can do.

One important piece of advice, Take Your Time. There is an overwhelming amount of info you will need to gather but you don't need it all yesterday.

Re. Buying Pentax, everything comes down to budget! Most people love their chosen model. We will help you, that's a given, but if you become one of us, the guidance and advice just never quits. There is no "need" for you to buy a Pentax, given what you have, but should you want to, you have lots of options. This is in order of cost and capability

K70 £400+ Entry/Enthusiast, APSC, mainly plastic but sturdy, may have weak solenoid*

And there are more. These are generalisations. Each Pentax camera is quite individual. The image quality is very good across the board, all have shake reduction and weather resistance (dependant on the lens) right back to the K10D (I think that's right). As for the *weak solenoid, most Pentax cameras are extremely rugged but there is a weakness that affects a very small number of specific models, that's why I wouldn't recommend them as such. I had a K30, brilliant starter camera, but the solenoid failed and the repair cost nearly as much as the camera. 80% will never miss a beat, but if you went with a K3/3ii or K5ii you won't have that problem.
Yes well spotted I am indeed British, and yes I am an old git having reached the age of 60 soon to be 61 for my sins. Thank you Sir for taking the time to reply to my post. I am astonished that so many people including yourself took the time to reply to me all offering some very good advice which will all be taken on board, all offerings of advice are gratefully received. In this day and age where people seem to have so little time for other people it really is heart warming to see.

---------- Post added 12-19-20 at 02:18 AM ----------

PS I am in Peterborough a medium sized city some 80 miles north of London, in a part of the UK known as East Anglia, we are blessed with a few US Air Force bases so get to meet quite a few American service personnel when they are off base enjoying their free time.

---------- Post added 12-19-20 at 02:22 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote

Yes I have been stuck indoors for many months, since March in fact due to having underlying health conditions and the worry of Covid could affect me badly, hence not been out to try the Olympus yet. At the moment the rate of Covid infections seem to be going skywards at present so it looks like we will continue to have to stay indoors for the foreseeable future. However thank you for your advice I am very grateful to you indeed.

---------- Post added 12-19-20 at 02:25 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
Welcome. I would suggest studying photography principals and techniques, join a camera club or group to be around others that enjoy photography. Most importantly, go out and take photos with what you have, trying to incorporate what you learn. It's not about the gear. There will come a point when you realize your current gear is limiting what you want to do. By then you will have acquired enough knowledge and skill to determine what you need. Most importantly, have fun.
Thank you for your valuable advice Sir, much appreciated.
12-19-2020, 02:39 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you are serious about learning DSLR instead of point and shoot,
i.e. about ISO, Av, Tv, (Tav and P-mode with Pentax)

and as you haven't used the Olympus E-M5 OM-D yet, then two possibilities:

1. Sell the Olympus because you don't want to learn to different systems and invest that money into a good Pentax

+ lenses: Recommendation K-70 with a SMC DA 18-135 as a good quiet lens better than the kitlens

2. Keep the Olympus and forget Pentax

One or the other, but two will overload you completly.

The K70 has SCN = Scene modi which the K5/3/KP don't have.
That is better than AUTO.

AUTO = point and shoot you get better results with a good smart-phone!
AUTO is wasting 90% of the potential!

In a way a good DSLR should not have AUTO and save that for better.
I even dislike SCN but I know at least 1 person who just never made it for Av or Tv
making still lovely photos.

Good luck

12-19-2020, 03:01 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Peterborough
I don't know that I've been to Peterborough, but I have been to King's Lynn, and I really like the countryside in East Anglia. I can't wait to travel again.
12-19-2020, 06:13 AM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not sure if it's been said, but I'd say just familiarise yourself with the basics, then just experiment. I believe it is the wrong approach to keep on studying and comparing photos on social media. Better to look through photo books (monographs) that by their nature have been curated into a coherent selection. Find what you like and experiment. Social media output is too vast and distracting.

I've run a few workshops over the years and an approach that seems to have been quite well received is to use your camera as a an artist uses their sketchbook. They made numerous, experimental marks, often with no intention of showing their sketches to anyone else. Approaching taking photographs with this mindset gives freedom to experiment and fail. From this comes a style. Too much social media study is the antithesis to this approach - there's a danger beginners just end up thrashing around then chasing images at iconic locations that have been done zillions of times.

Enjoy ...
12-19-2020, 10:10 AM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am a slightly older git (62) and am up in Lancaster, where we still eat our kids, ...... Well, the ones that aren't up chimneys or down a pit if you ever have a question, just ask
12-19-2020, 11:13 AM   #26
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . .Any advice will be most welcome, just please have patience with me being a complete beginner .
IMHO

number 1 goal

have fun with your equipment

Number 2 goal

worry about impressing yourself first

[ you would be amazed at how many photos are never shared but are still useful to learn from ]

your photography will improve with time and knowledge gained from the experience
12-19-2020, 11:54 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
IMHO

number 1 goal

have fun with your equipment

Number 2 goal

worry about impressing yourself first

[ you would be amazed at how many photos are never shared but are still useful to learn from ]

your photography will improve with time and knowledge gained from the experience
I believe this is the best advice for you so far. Use the camera you have (if you really like it and are comfortable using it) have fun with it and take/make photos that give you satisfaction. You are the first person that must be impressed with your photography, and you are the most important person to be impressed with your photography. Have fun, feel good and practice, practice, practice.
12-19-2020, 10:28 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

but I have been reading about the F setting for depth of field. How hard is it to get started with a DSLR as opposed to using point and shoot cameras?
I also agree with WileyB, since you already have the Olympus outfit. Your statement here indicates you are starting on the right track to eventually answer your own question as the the difference compared to phones and P/S cameras- being in control to handle numerous lighting and other conditions you will be facing. DOF is certainly one of them. If you eventually decide on looking into a DSLR, Pentax has a number of advantages in terms of price and features for the money. A DSLR provides a viewfinder that lets you look through the lens you are using instead of a separate focusing lens or an EVF which is an electronic representation of reality. For now, however, you can use what you have, to learn technique in order to operate your camera to exercise that control.
12-20-2020, 01:30 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am a slightly older git (62) and am up in Lancaster, where we still eat our kids, ...... Well, the ones that aren't up chimneys or down a pit if you ever have a question, just ask
I was not aware about those methods of quitening kids... just recall making them sniff gas from the gashob to put them to sleep...

Anyway, great cheese from your region, particular the Blacksticks Blue.

Outside of UK one has only one option: Blue Stilton occacionally
12-20-2020, 02:41 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
A couple more thoughts from another old(er) git. You may want to check out your local U3A (university of the 3rd age). The Peterborough group ( Peterborough U3A ) seems to have 2 photographic groups, (photography for pleasure and foto friends). I joined our local camera club group which does a monthly meeting to look at and discuss our themed photographs (all very friendly of course). This year has mainly been conducted with a zoom web conference.

As we are all stuck indoors for a while you can learn quite a lot by taking still life photos. At its simplest this could be a sauce bottle plonked on the table and moving a table lamp around to see how the light works. You can also get a better idea of light and shadow by shooting in black and white.