Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 38 Likes Search this Thread
12-18-2020, 06:50 AM   #1

New to photography advice needed please?

Hi Guys I am almost totally new to photography despite owning a couple of Olympus and a couple of Panasonic point and shoot cameras with hopefully a Pentax XG1 arriving today a bridge camera. I also have an Olympus OM E M5 mirrorless micro 4/3 which I have not yet tried to use.
I am hoping to buy a DSLR Pentax and I am looking for advice really as to which camera to go for as a beginner /novice, should I buy new or buy one of the many second hand cameras I have found available?
I guess it will be a steep learning curve for me as I do not know about the technical terms and what they mean, ie, ISO, RAW, JPEG, etc, but I have been reading about the F setting for depth of field. How hard is it to get started with a DSLR as opposed to using point and shoot cameras?
Why have I chosen Pentax? Well its a name I remember from my teenage years in the Merchant Navy and a shipmate of mine was an avid photographer who used a quite old Pentax camera.
I should mention I am looking to take pictures of landscapes, plants and trees also wildlife and birds, also given the chance architecture.
Any advice will be most welcome, just please have patience with me being a complete beginner .

12-18-2020, 08:11 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hi Oldgit,

Your Olympus is a fabulous camera, with much in common with Pentax - including focus on availability of manual controls and in body stabilization, which will help your handheld shots come out sharper while you learn more about shutter speed and how to hold steady. And being m43, your camera and lenses will be easier to carry around and to hold than anything else with those characteristics.

Pentax is a great brand with great cameras and great lenses, but I would spend half a year learning how to use the Olympus effectively. Everything you learn will be transferable to any other interchangeable lens camera (ILC), the pictures you take will be just as good, and if you're still looking for a bigger and heavier camera after that - you'll know more about what you're looking for and why!
12-18-2020, 08:34 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
One way you can learn about some of the things you mentioned is to use a camera in trial shots for some time in its manual mode. This will force you to make adjustments in shutter speed, ISO, and lens settings, and in doing so, you'll see firsthand how they contribute to the image. A point-and-shoot may not allow you to do that (though many can) as easily as your DSLR would, so I would choose a DSLR for learning. When a camera makes settings for you automatically, you won't get a good feel for what it is doing or what is being adjusted so the trial-and-error method is best for gaining skills with your camera. When you have mastered these, then you can start making more use of the automated features, knowing when you need to override them for the best or desired results.

Good luck with you new-found interest in photography. It can provide you with a lifetime of rewarding activity.
12-18-2020, 08:47 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

You cannot go wrong with Pentax! The camera allows you to be a beginner an steadily make your way up. You could try with a second hand amateur camera, like the K-30 or K50, these cameras are quite capable and still simple and intuitive to use.

12-18-2020, 08:52 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge here

why buy when you might win ?

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Welcome to our surprise Pentax KP raffle!

Each day in from December 7th through December 26th, you can claim one raffle entry, for a maximum of 20 per member.

To claim your daily raffle entry, simply post a reply in this thread each day you want to enter. You first will need to have at least 6 other forum posts on any day you wish to enter. It's as simple as that!

On December 27th, in addition to randomly drawing one grand prize (Pentax KP) winner, we will also draw 3 runners-up who will win their choice of a Pentax Forums T-shirt.

Restrictions:
  • this raffle is open to all forum members worldwide
  • winners of PF camera raffles from 2017 and onward are not eligible for the grand prize, but can still win the T-shirt prizes
  • all contest times are in GMT
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/416609-pentax-kp-g...ml#post5146347
12-18-2020, 09:21 AM - 5 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are some good YouTube videos /tutorials available covering the basics of photography and it will probably be clearer presented that way than explaining it in a post.

Nevertheless I try to give you some pointers. ISO is the sensitivity of the film or the sensor, shutter speed is the duration of time you expose the film/sensor to the light when taking a picture and the F-stop determines how big or small the aperture is when taking the image. Together those three form the exposure triangle. As you probably have read aperture influences the depth of field you get with an image (wide open a shallow DOF, closing down the lens leads to a larger DOF), shutter speed also influences the image you get depending on your subject (fast shutter speeds to freeze the action and get a sharp images of moving wildlife, cars, ... or slower speeds to introduce some motion blur), high ISO values introduce more grain for film and more noise for digital (for film it might be desired but digital noise is not good looking so you usually try to have a low ISO value).
When have a correct exposure with a given combination of ISO - shutter speed - aperture and you want to change one of those settings you will have to change at least one of the other two too to get a correct exposure again (for instance: you want to double your shutter speed to eliminate some motion blur, to counteract that you either have to double your ISO value or open the aperture for one F-stop).

As for RAW versus jpeg, it is a diiferent form of how the data of the sensor is saved. RAW saves every detail the sensor registeres and can be seen as more like a negative in film days, it gives you many options to process your image, like developing a film, in the end you have to export the image as a jpeg or some other image format to watch the image on other devices like a mobile phone or television.
When saved as jpeg the camera already does the processing for you. The advantage is that you get a much smaller image size and you can immediatly watch your images on every other device you like, the disadvantage is that you have not much leeway to correct the images when needed or desired because much of the information is lost due to the compression of the data.
When doing low light or night photography RAW also has a big advantage over jpeg, because RAW has a greater dynamic range. With jpegs you often have to make a HDR image (2 or more different exposed images merged together to capture all the details in the light and dark areas) whereas with RAW a single exposure might be enough to gather the necessary data.

I think most (or all) digital cameras have the option of a manual shooting mode so you can experiment with the exposure triangle with all of them. Unfortunately the Pentax XG1 doesn't offer RAW, but that doesn't mean it can't produce good images you just have to make some processing decisions before taking a picture (most importantly check white balance (artificial light, sunlight, shade,... have different color temperatures and WB corrects that or you get yellow or blue color casts in your images)).

Have fun with your new hobby.
Regards Patrick

Last edited by othar; 12-18-2020 at 09:27 AM.
12-18-2020, 09:49 AM - 1 Like   #7
Forum Member

Hi and welcome. I'm a happy Pentax KP user - it has good image quality and is not a big as a full frame. If you can get to a Pentax dealer it would be good to handle a few bodies. If you are into landscape then RAW really is a must.

12-18-2020, 09:50 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum. One of the questions you need to ask yourself is are looking at this just as an occasional use thing, or do you see yourself as an enthusiast looking to advance over time.

If you just want something for occasional use but not looking to dive into the deep end, something like the k-70 would likely be a good place to start.

If you see yourself getting advanced, then get the best you can afford. The K3 and K3II are workhorses (the original has a pop-up flash, the mkII replaced the flash with built in GPS for out of the box Astrotracer). The KP is the newest and will have slightly better image quality than the K3's, but there are many tradeoffs in ergonomics and features. These are all ASP-C cameras, which is a bit larger sensor than your m43 cameras.
12-18-2020, 09:51 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree with WileyB; spend some time with the camera(s) you have first. That's not because it's any more difficult to start with a DSLR; it isn't. Any DSLR will have an automatic exposure mode and autofocus settings that will allow you to use it as a point-and-shoot. The thing about a DSLR, or a Micro Four Thirds camera such as your Olympus, is that it's not just a camera, it's a system. No need to jump into a new system at this point, given what you already have.

I'd start by concentrating on just taking pictures and not worrying too much about the technical aspects. Discover what kinds of subjects and images you like. When you do encounter technical problems (e.g., why is this shot overexposed?), you can start digging into the details. Enjoy.
12-18-2020, 09:54 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum. First of all, enjoy your time with photography. That’s what matters. So you are intrigued by photography and had a try with various cameras , looking, searching for a pleasing image. Well, you’re gonna learn many things in here. Read the articles, even better, get one of the many books for amateur photography. Everyone’s learning curve is different. Take your time.
Your Olympus is a great camera. Read the manual, try different settings (manual of course) , play with shutter speed and aperture and try to understand what affects your photos. It doesn’t matter , for learning the basics, if it’s a dslr or not. As long as you can work the manual mode. Learn how to get the image you want.
If , after some time, you think you want another camera, Pentax is certainly a fantastic idea. Especially for outdoor photography. If suggestions are needed, you will find experienced users and a lot of reviews and photos/sampling here. Have a good time.
Greetings from Greece.
12-18-2020, 10:09 AM - 3 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldgit Quote
Hi Guys I am almost totally new to photography despite owning a couple of Olympus and a couple of Panasonic point and shoot cameras with hopefully a Pentax XG1 arriving today a bridge camera. I also have an Olympus OM E M5 mirrorless micro 4/3 which I have not yet tried to use.
I am hoping to buy a DSLR Pentax and I am looking for advice really as to which camera to go for as a beginner /novice, should I buy new or buy one of the many second hand cameras I have found available?
The XG-1 is labelled Pentax, but is missing many valuable Pentax features. I like it as a small camera for hikes etc, where I'm not expecting to need maximum IQ (Image Quality.) For photography your Olympus is you best camera. If you decide to go SLR it would be your best option for learning to understand the ILC DSLR experience.

I guess it will be a steep learning curve for me as I do not know about the technical terms and what they mean, ie, ISO, RAW, JPEG, etc,
Those terms are absolutely essential. ISO is the equivalent of film speed. It's the same as it was with film.

but I have been reading about the F setting for depth of field. How hard is it to get started with a DSLR as opposed to using point and shoot cameras?
Why have I chosen Pentax? Well its a name I remember from my teenage years in the Merchant Navy and a shipmate of mine was an avid photographer who used a quite old Pentax camera.
Point and shoot cameras have smaller sensors. Some aspects of photography like depth of field become harder to achieve as you move to larger sensors. So, the larger the camera, the more you'll have to do to master it.

I should mention I am looking to take pictures of landscapes, plants and trees also wildlife and birds, also given the chance architecture.
Any advice will be most welcome, just please have patience with me being a complete beginner .
Just some info on what you're looking at.

For Architecture you probably want a wide angle aspherical element lens. Like the Sigma 8-16 or Pentax 11-18. $700 minimum.
For landscape almost any lens will do. Supposing you bought and APS-c Pentax camera then 16-85 is your best option $700
Wildlife the best option on APS-c would be the DA 55-300 PLM $500-$600
For birding phogrpahy the DFA 150-450 is the best option even if it's close to$2500.

Unlike a bridge camera, with DSLRs you use the same body, but you'll spend more than the cost of a decent point and shoot every time you buy a lens, and you need different lenses for each function.

My advice at this point is use your Olympus OM E M5 to learn on, it looks like a fine camera for much (if not all) of what you want to do. But, if you truly wish to shoot Pentax, you need to do so before you spend a lot on Olympus lenses. Since the main advantage to DLSRs is the ability to change lenses to a lens tailored to specific function. once you buy into one brand, you probably won't want to switch.

With your Olympus you can explore...
How ISO relates to shutter speed and noise.
How DoF is affected by the Aperture setting.
Using equivalence, you can use the settings on your Olympus 4/3 to determine what lenses you might be most interested in on APS-c or 35mm camera.

The main thing is get out and shoot with the Olympus. it's unlikely you'll learn much relevant to larger sensor shooting with the XG-1 or a point and shoot.

Explore those things with your Olympus, if you want to expand your learning curve even more after that, you might consider an APS-c or FF camera. But, a new camera is pretty much a three month commitment to get comfortable with it, no matter what you shoot. Taking on more than one new to you camera at a time will significantly lengthen your learning curve.

If in fact it turns out these aren't things you want to learn to a level of being instinctive ( ISO vs noise, raw vs jpeg, shutter speeds and frozen action o blurred motion), wide DoF vs narrow DoF with regards to Aperture and subject isolation) etc. an Olympus is already over kill. It's a little scary you have an Olympus and aren't using it. That doesn't bode well for mastering an even larger sensor.

Based on what you've said so far, using point and shoots and ordering a bridge camera, and not using your Olympus my recommendation for you would be something like a Lumix ZS1000. It will do almost everything you want without having to get into multiple lenses etc. If you had said "I've mastered my Olympus and need better low light performance or more ability for narrow DoF subject isolation, I'd be much more enthusiastic in pointing you at a DSLR. You have a lot of capability you aren't using. And of course, I'm not in a position to evaluate what your level of commitment might be to seeing your way through to APS-c or FF.

Good luck on your journey.

PS, if you bought your Olympus to use older Pentax glass from film cameras, then a K-1 is the best option and the k-P is the best compromise.
A Basic kit to aim for with the K-P
K-P
DA 16-85
DA 55-300 PLM

Thne look at adding FA 100 macro
DA* 55 1.4.

Any other primes you might fancy.

Last edited by normhead; 12-18-2020 at 11:34 AM.
12-18-2020, 10:26 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

All modern digital cameras have big advantages over film cameras in that it doesn't cost anything (other than a bit of electricity) to try it out and you can see the results straight away. You best plan is to give it a go and get a feel for what the settings are doing. The Olympus is a great place to start and should provide everything you need to grasp the fundamentals of photography.
There is always a temptation to get more gear but not really using it to produce good photographs. Fine if you can afford it but I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to add another system to what you have got.
If possible see if you can borrow a DSLR which may help you to understand what one of these would offer, over and above your mirrorless Olympus.
12-18-2020, 10:45 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

1. If you give the town near your location (do NOT write your address), there could be a nearby PF member who might be willing to meet (Covid rules permitting), e.g., in a café, show some Pentax gear and discuss photography with you.

2. There might be a photo club near you, where you will find other local club members willing to help you.

3. Some colleges offer introductory photography courses, e.g., at our local college: a 2-hour session every week for 5 weeks.

2 and 3 got me started in photography.

Philip
12-18-2020, 10:50 AM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not sure how they might be meeting in these days of COVID, but look around for a/the local camera club. These exist almost everywhere, and will be full of knowledgeable, helpful people. They can help you with hands-on learning about the various settings of your camera(s).
12-18-2020, 11:33 AM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree wit the suggestions of using the camera you have to gain some level of familiarity with the technical fundamentals; specifically the "exposure triangle" or relationship between ISO, Shutter Speed (time) and Aperture (f-stop) and how a change in one affects the others in delivering the final result. Learning how aperture affects depth of field from the point of focus is also helpful. Autofocus is nice, no doubt, but becoming proficient in manually focusing to isolate or emphasize a subject makes a big difference. Your goal should be to employ the settings of your camera well enough to expect a decent resulting image, leaving little to chance (get it right in the camera, before pressing the shutter button". Practice, practice, practice.( and submit some images here on PF for friendly critiques, ask for advice)
Being able to understand and manipulate these three factors is the important first step to making images, rather than merely taking snap shots.

Not to say a point and shoot cannot deliver great images, the second most important step is the artistic factor of understanding composition, I'm not really taking about rules, only training yourself to pay attention to the objects in the frame of your viewfinder, and the arrangement and relationship between those objects (if there is one) . For this you don't really need a camera, just look at images, drawings, photos, paintings, that please you and figure out why they are pleasing to your eye. If you have learned the technical factors to the minimum level necessary to make real your artistic vision, you are on your way to being a photographer.
The best gear in the world will not make up for a lack of proficiency in the technical or artistic factors. Some of the most enduring and effective images in the world were produced on the most primitive cameras.

As for JPEG or RAW, don't worry about it for now, a good camera will produce at least good to great quality JPEGs. As you become more familiar with digital photography you can decide how deeply into post processing you wish to dive, and then RAW might become important.

As for a Pentax DSLR, great choice. You can get a high-quality used K-5 and a 50mm lens for a few hundred US dollars here on PF Marketplace. Yes, there are newer cameras here, but the K-5 is a very good camera with all the functionality and quality you could ask for, a camera you can grow into as your skills improve.