Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-19-2020, 01:42 PM   #16
Pentaxian

I concur, my old Epson R1900 used to print on the printables.

12-19-2020, 02:15 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
don't think any Epsons are capable (not absolutely sure on this)
The mid-range Expression Premium series printers from Epson still have a tray for printable CDs/DVDs. Assuming it works like it does on the Epson Artisan 835 printer I have (which is about 8 years old), it's pretty slick and much better than printing on labels. I highly recommend Epson inkjet printers; over the years (I bought my first colour dot-matrix printer in 1991) I have found them to last longer and deliver better results than the HP and Canon inkjet printers I've used.
12-19-2020, 05:10 PM   #18

Lightscribe is monochrome so the main color depends on the color of the disc.
12-19-2020, 05:54 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery
Epson R340

I have an Epson Stylus Photoprinter whiuch has a very capable CD printing facility. It is sveral years old now (7 plus?) but has always been reliable and has produced dozens of printed Cds in its time.

12-19-2020, 07:13 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Epson XP-850 can print on a CD...also quite a good photo printer.

Cheers,
Terry
12-20-2020, 04:55 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
I do have labels, and a labeller
I for one would not do this. Speaking from experience, if the adhesive starts to let go you will end up with a disk that will be unreadable.
12-20-2020, 04:58 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had an Epson printer that would print directly on the CD -- it had a special holder. It seemed to work OK overall, although I don't use CDs much any more.

12-20-2020, 01:54 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
My grateful thanks to all who were kind enough to respond - looks as if Epson is the way to go, at least in the second-hand market.

Wish me luck !
12-20-2020, 07:09 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
My grateful thanks to all who were kind enough to respond - looks as if Epson is the way to go, at least in the second-hand market.

Wish me luck !
Good luck, I am sure you will find something.
12-22-2020, 06:34 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Printing on printable CDs/DVDs is the best option.

First, it looks quite good. You can have images and text, the colors will look fine, detail will look fine. I'll say again, this on printable CDs/DVDs, otherwise the ink will smear and you will get nothing. Sorry, it's obvious but people tried that...
You'd have to keep it away from water, though (it's inkjet after all).

Lightscribe is limited, and you need special disks (harder to find IME) and a special CD/DVD writer.

Labels are to be avoided; you risk misbalancing the disks. At the speeds they're rotating I would really really not want to do that.

As for which printer... I used an entry level Canon Pixma, but there are tons of inkjets which can print on CDs (including some photo printers - even the newly launched P900 can do it). Just make sure the printing tray is included!
12-24-2020, 07:03 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I’ll add to the chorus of “don’t do stick-on labels”, for those who come across this thread later.

That may have worked fine in the 1990s, when Optical discs spun slow... but not today...

I shudder to think what kind of interesting dynamic imbalances and their attendant consequences happen at 48x or whatever drives do now...
And even if your drive is smart enough to slow down, then the data transfer rate is garbage...

-Eric
12-25-2020, 02:53 AM   #27
Pentaxian

i have used labels and direct print. Over time in the Australian climate at least, the labels start lifting which can cause unbalanced spins and catching in caddies. Also the paper is relatively absorbent so the image is kind of low quality.

I have used Epson and Canon disk print capable printers. A much superior labelling solution and the software to design the label is useful as well. Image produced is still inferior to a quality paper print however. The current model Canon I use is the Pixma IP8760 but i havent printed on a disk in years.

The transition away from disk storage means fewer printers need this option. I now pass out USB sticks to customers. Faster cheaper and bigger storage.
12-25-2020, 08:10 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks again, folks - I use labels on audio CDs at present.
12-25-2020, 08:46 AM   #29
Pentaxian

I used an Epson pointier to print my "Christmas CDs" for years. I used to put together a collection o my favourite music, and everyone in the family got one. The last few years it was DVDs with my favourite music video.

For many years my ex and I sat up on Christmas Eve burning, printing, packaging and wrapping CDs and appropriate case covers that featured one of my favourite snowy photographs of the year. Ah, the good old days. I believe I did this for 12 years, and I still have one each of each of the 12 year's CD somewhere.