Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-19-2020, 05:29 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Printing directly on CDs

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I have been given some 'printable' CDs - can anyone suggest a printer which I could use that will print directly to these, without having to create and attach labels ? Many thanks.

12-19-2020, 05:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I think epson still makes some consumer printers. I have never used one but my understand is the have a tray that holds the cd
12-19-2020, 05:56 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sidney Porter Quote
I think epson still makes some consumer printers. I have never used one but my understand is the have a tray that holds the cd
Thanks for this - it is what I thought, but listings on Ebay are reticent about this facility, for some reason (maybe very few people use it), and I am, being lazy, hoping to avoid the tedium of checking every printer model mentioned in the hopes it does what I require !
12-19-2020, 06:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I remember there were times, where you could flip CD and laser was doing a picture on it. Is it still available option?

12-19-2020, 06:15 AM   #5

Do a Web search on "printer for CDs"

QuoteOriginally posted by Belcik Quote
I remember there were times, where you could flip CD and laser was doing a picture on it. Is it still available option?
Lightscribe is still an option but you need Lightscribe discs and capable burner and software.
12-19-2020, 06:41 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Belcik Quote
I have seen it recently...
12-19-2020, 07:13 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I have done searches for various combinations of the phrase 'printer for cds' - none of the ones mentioned are within my budget, unfortunately, as I am unlikely to print many CDs. I was hoping to find something pre-owned, but no luck so far. I shall keep looking. Thank you all for your assistance.

12-19-2020, 07:26 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think if you do some quick searches you should find several inkjet printers with disk capability, I did one quick search and Canon makes several. Availability is always a possible holdup this time of year. It's good technology, they look much better than those Lightscribe disks. I haven't used one in a couple of years, but I formerly printed a lot of disks in my job. But I had a robotic machine that burned and printed, and could do a stack of 25. Amazingly I bought that machine about 20 years ago and it was just recently replaced and retired. I doubt you'll need to do batches of 700 disks, but I just wanted to comment that the technology is good.
12-19-2020, 07:43 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
I have done searches for various combinations of the phrase 'printer for cds' - none of the ones mentioned are within my budget, unfortunately, as I am unlikely to print many CDs. I was hoping to find something pre-owned, but no luck so far. I shall keep looking. Thank you all for your assistance.
B&H has one for $90, everything else I saw is $250 and up. I have no idea how good it is, but Canon inkjets are usually pretty good.
12-19-2020, 07:48 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
If you cannot find one within your budget and are unlikely to do many have you considered a CD label kit? Most include the software, a centring device applicator and a small quantity of labels.

I used a similar device to the link below many years back without issues on CD's and DVD's

PRESS IT PLLK01020 LABEL KIT- CD/DVD- SUPERLITE: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
12-19-2020, 08:08 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I looked into this a couple of years back and don't think any Epsons are capable (not absolutely sure on this) but most of the Canon Pixma PRO printers are. I know the Pixma Pro-100 is because I have one. It's a relatively low priced printer which is advertised in specials from time to time where it can be had for under $100US (not seen any of those specials lately so keep your eyes open).

Canons use a small tray which the CD goes in and it is placed in the back of the machine where it is moved under the print area. Of course, printable CDs, DVDs, or BDs are needed (which you mentioned you have)

I have a stock of printable labels (NEATO seem to work the best) which I still use for quick labeling jobs and as TonyW mentioned, they work well. I use a DIY Photoshop template for those, which lines up the artwork for jobs, The downside of labels is that you can't print to the entire CD and a 1.4" hole exists at the center, letting the hub show. A lot of printable CDs allow printing almost to the CD hole and result in a more professional looking job but labels do look good if you discount that issue (a bit dicey to attach but you get good at it with a little practice - don't use any jigs that are sold for the purpose - just line up the label using the CD hub as a reference, watching the edge position at the same time).

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/profession...00?tab=manuals

Last edited by Bob 256; 12-19-2020 at 08:28 AM.
12-19-2020, 08:20 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Having used Lightscribe and printable DVD's, printable is the was to go. Lightscribe gives a very limited color palette and to me takes more time than printing.
12-19-2020, 09:46 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Epson made some printers that did this a while back.
Make sure you get the CD carrier that goes with... otherwise, there's no way to feed it (at least in the model I had)

It worked pretty well, and the results looked good.
Replacing the ink in all six ink tanks was a little extortionate, however...

As an aside, some of those Epson printers were modified with an updated driver and inks to print very fancy grayscale images.
I was thinking about doing that with mine when it decided to stop working...

-Eric
12-19-2020, 10:20 AM   #14

I have an older Epson R1900. It prints on CDs, and also is great photo printer.
12-19-2020, 01:19 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks all for the advice, especially the Canons on 'offer'. Not sure if that occurs in the UK ...

I do have labels, and a labeller, but with these freebies, it seemed a good idea to look into the direct printing option - until I saw the prices ! I shall keep looking and hoping for a second-hand one to magically appear on Ebay or Gumtree.