Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
12-20-2020, 08:55 AM - 1 Like   #16
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Durf Quote
.. . . (I thought I knew everything! haha)
speaking of myself only:

when asked: what do I know?

if being truthful in my response - not as much as I might claim, but more than some ( my brothers and in laws especially ) think

12-20-2020, 09:17 AM - 1 Like   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
speaking of myself only:

when asked: what do I know?

if being truthful in my response - not as much as I might claim, but more than some ( my brothers and in laws especially ) think
I've had the K1 since it was released 4 years ago or so and this morning is the first day I actually realized what the green buttons purpose is and what it could actually be used for!
Embarrassing to admit but I've never needed to use the green button until I got this SMC Pentax 135mm f/2.5 Lens a week ago!
12-20-2020, 01:02 PM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've had the K1 since it was released 4 years ago or so and this morning is the first day I actually realized what the green buttons purpose is and what it could actually be used for!
Embarrassing to admit but I've never needed to use the green button until I got this SMC Pentax 135mm f/2.5 Lens a week ago!
It actually has multiple uses.
Pentax Green Button Guide - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
12-20-2020, 04:23 PM - 2 Likes   #19

If you want see the exposure setting set the DOF preview to optical. Disable display of electronic level. Make use of aperture ring is enabled. In manual mode with your MF lens when you activate the DOF preview the aperture should stop down and the exposure value meter should show in the viewfinder. You can then zero or set over or underexposure by changing the shutter speed with the edial or with the aperture ring.

12-20-2020, 06:16 PM - 1 Like   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

It is probably the most useful feature on your camera in regards to exposure and for enabling or exiting from some features. For example, auto-iso is enabled with the green button, as is metering in M mode (even with non-vintage lenses). I believe there is an article somewhere here on PF that provides a fairly complete listing. The camera manual is also a good resource on a feature by feature basis.

Steve
12-20-2020, 06:56 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your not alone. I've had a K50/K70 for 5 years, and just figured out the green button last week.
12-20-2020, 07:22 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Once you get used to it, green button mode doesn't slow you down that much.

12-20-2020, 08:04 PM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok, when in M Mode, if I set the aperture ring to say, F8, and look down in to the lens when I snap a pic I see the blades stopping down (closing) when pressing the shutter button. I didn't know the lens/camera operated this way with manual lenses with the lever.....Obviously I have to shoot this lens in M mode!
Thanks for your help!
Yes, that is right- shoot in M mode and you can use the green button to meter and set your exposure. Once set, you can adjust both aperture setting and shutter speed to get each as you want. With this lens, you might still be able to also use the camera's AE-L feature to lock exposure, so if you use the finger or thumb dial to choose a different aperture or shutter speed, the other will follow along to preserve the exposure value. With manual lenses, the exposure system is not always perfect, but using each particular lens will teach you how far it is off at various f settings, so you'll know in advance from experience.
12-20-2020, 08:14 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It is probably the most useful feature on your camera in regards to exposure and for enabling or exiting from some features. For example, auto-iso is enabled with the green button, as is metering in M mode (even with non-vintage lenses). I believe there is an article somewhere here on PF that provides a fairly complete listing. The camera manual is also a good resource on a feature by feature basis.

Steve
Steve, look up two posts from yours...