Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-24-2020, 01:36 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Looking at your posted images, i would suggest that your K1000 has more than 'a scratch' on it.
I would suggest you get your nap before posting.

12-24-2020, 12:33 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
I would suggest you get your nap before posting.
Personal comments do not contribute much in the way of this discussion - and I stand by my original observation, whether you like it or not.
12-30-2020, 12:28 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
My Pentax K1000 is back ! It took me maybe ten minutes to attach the new(used) Pentax lens mount with copper tension spring unto my camera. The lens mount I purchased from eBay was in almost perfect condition except for a little nick on the side you can barely notice. After I mounted the new/used lens mount on my camera I decided to test it. I noticed that the light meter was affected by turning the Shutter dial but NOT the Aperture ring ? Meaning that changing the Aperture did not have any effect on the light meter, but changing the Shutter speed did ?

I Googled the problem and came up with a variety of solutions, none of them that worked. I was about to send the camera to get a CLA when I decided to study the Pentax Service manual located here: http://pentax-manuals.com/markroberts/k1000_man.pdf The service manual recommended a series of test to determine where the problem was coming from. However I din't think any of these problems were related to my camera, because it was working perfectly before I decided to yank that pesky M42 adapter from the lens-mount.

One post I read that came from the Pentax.forums, recommended that I remove the lens from the camera and move the "Aperture follower tab" to see if the meter is affected or not. The Aperture Follower tab is a spring controlled tab on the inside/left of the lens mount that attaches to the lens. If you manually move this tab up and down then the Light meter should also move up and down. I tried this and the light meter DID move up and down, meaning there was nothing wrong with the meter itself, so it must be either the camera or the lens. I took the lens a(Pentax 50mm f1.7 M) out of the equation, because it was practically a brand new lens and I never dropped it, or otherwise damaged it.

I almost had the camera wrapped up ready to go for a CLA when I decided to try one more thing... I looked at the Aperture Follower tab and it looked like it was stretched towards the right(away from the body) a little bit. I then took a pair of pliers, (yes the same pliers I used to yank out the adapter) and squeezed the Aperture Follower tab to the left, or towards the body. I put the lens back on and "Voila" the meter was working again. Meaning that the Light meter needle moved up and down when I turned the aperture ring !

Unfortunately, when I tested the light-meter on the K1000 against the light-meter on my Spotmatic F (w/ a 50mm lens), they were about 1 1/2 stops apart ? I'm not sure which light meter is faulty, or needs to be calibrated ? I will have to conduct a series of tests with an external light meter, or maybe even make some prints to see which camera "might" be faulty.

Last edited by hjoseph7; 12-30-2020 at 01:47 PM.