Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2020, 04:25 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax k1000 damaged front plate

Oh no I did it again !! I tried to put a Non-Pentax M42 Adapter on my K1000 and the Adapter got stuck on the camera. This is the same Adapter that almost ruined my K-5 II a few years ago. However I was able to unscrew the front plate on my K-5 II and then remove the adapter. This time I had to use a pair of Pliers to yank the adapter from the front plate of the K1000 ! The reason is, I was using the wrong tools(screw driver) to try to unscrew the front-plate, and thought the screws that hold the plate were seared, so I panicked and decided to yank the dreaded adapter out.

I succeeded but now the front plate is a little damaged. I'm hesitant to put a lens in there for fear it might get stuck. There is somebody selling a replacement front-plate for the K1000 for $20 on eBay, but maybe I might not have to replace it ? I attached an image of the K1000 with the front plate removed. In the background is my newly acquired Pentax Spotmatic F !

Please let me know what you think ! The gold/copper ring sitting on top of the mirror housing is a little bent. The inside of the lens housing is scratched, but seems operable ?

Attached Images

12-21-2020, 05:43 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
Oh no I did it again !! I tried to put a Non-Pentax M42 Adapter on my K1000 and the Adapter got stuck on the camera. This is the same Adapter that almost ruined my K-5 II a few years ago.
And you have still not thrown it in the trash?
12-21-2020, 07:05 PM - 1 Like   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
bingo...
12-21-2020, 07:50 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks I really appreciate it.

12-21-2020, 10:11 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's probably is toast. This same sort of thing happens to me also when I panic.
12-21-2020, 10:45 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Please let me know what you think !
In the great Australian vernacular—

You've bloody well buggered it, mate!

Then refer to what Mark J. said...
12-22-2020, 12:11 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Never mind, replacement K1000 bodies are two-a-penny.

12-22-2020, 02:16 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
The reason I did not throw it in the trash is, after I removed it from the K-5 II, I noticed that inside the box it came with, there was a key. You were supposed to remove the adapter with this key, but I didn't know that back then. So I put the adapter back in the box and threw it somewhere hoping it would disappear on it's own. The other day, I found that box while I was looking for something else, so I decided to try it on on the K1000.

I attached and detached the adapter maybe 10 times with the magic key and everything seemed to be working fine ? It wasn't until I attached a lens to the adapter(while it was on the camera) that it locked to the camera body and would not come off even with the magic key ! I'm not sure why they sell garbage like that in the first place ? Maybe because the Pentax adapter cost between $75-$150 depending on your source.
12-22-2020, 09:04 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Scratches on the lens mount are unlikely to cause a focus problem. The copper thing being bent shouldn't be a problem either as long as you can pretty much straighten it out since it provides spring pressure and not alignment. Put the adapter into recycling ( so you can feel good about it) and get used Pentax adapter on ebay. They sell for 20-40 there.
12-22-2020, 03:20 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
Scratches on the lens mount are unlikely to cause a focus problem. The copper thing being bent shouldn't be a problem either as long as you can pretty much straighten it out since it provides spring pressure and not alignment. Put the adapter into recycling ( so you can feel good about it) and get used Pentax adapter on ebay. They sell for 20-40 there.
Thanks for keeping things Positive. It's very easy to belch out "one-liners' when you had too much to drink, or don't know what you are talking about. i purchased an extra plate from eBay for about $20 bucks just in case I screew things up even worse, but it should be an easy fix like you said. All i need is the lens mount not the entire plate.
Attached Images

12-22-2020, 03:46 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The reason I did not throw it in the trash is, after I removed it from the K-5 II, I noticed that inside the box it came with, there was a key. You were supposed to remove the adapter with this key, but I didn't know that back then. So I put the adapter back in the box and threw it somewhere hoping it would disappear on it's own. The other day, I found that box while I was looking for something else, so I decided to try it on on the K1000.

I attached and detached the adapter maybe 10 times with the magic key and everything seemed to be working fine ? It wasn't until I attached a lens to the adapter(while it was on the camera) that it locked to the camera body and would not come off even with the magic key ! I'm not sure why they sell garbage like that in the first place ? Maybe because the Pentax adapter cost between $75-$150 depending on your source.
Yes, it's a problem that the aliexpress / fleabay versions are not particularly well machined. Added to that, they have a little spring with a protruding screw and it's usually that screw that causes all the drama.
I have a cheap one and I have removed the screw and the spring. The disadvantage of that is that there's only a bit of friction holding the thing in place, but I can live with that if it means I never run the risk of this sort of catastrophe.

So, my advice is, either buy the real Pentax one or get rid of that spring and protruding screw. What I have not tried is to see if replacing the screw with a screw with a flatter head fixes the problem.

Sorry if my previous reply appeared unkind. Not my intention.
12-22-2020, 04:31 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

See this: M42-PK adapter - PentaxForums.com
12-22-2020, 05:09 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Maybe because the Pentax adapter cost between $75-$150 depending on your source
They are £25 in the UK.
12-22-2020, 08:36 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The prices for Pentax as well as all film cameras are going up ! I bought my Pentax K1000 right here on the Market Place for about $70(w/ original box and Manual) and with a 50mm f1.7 lens. The camera does not have a scratch on it. Actually it doesn't even have peeling, or worn out paint. I looked around to see if I could find an equivalent and they are talking about $150+ . If shipped from Japan tack on another $25-35 !

Last edited by hjoseph7; 12-22-2020 at 08:49 PM.
12-23-2020, 01:50 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Looking at your posted images, i would suggest that your K1000 has more than 'a scratch' on it.