Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2020, 09:20 AM   #1

K5 II astrotracer activation

Hi All this might be a dumb question but we have K5 II and want to do celestial pictures. the problem we are having is on our camera the astrotracer mode is not turned on. any body have an idea on how to activate it? thanks so much for your help.

12-22-2020, 09:37 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For the K-5II you will need the add-on O-GPS unit which enables the feature. The only cameras to have it natively are the K-3II (APSc) and K-1/K-1II (35mm format).
12-22-2020, 09:49 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
For the K-5II you will need the add-on O-GPS unit which enables the feature. The only cameras to have it natively are the K-3II (APSc) and K-1/K-1II (35mm format).
Microlight, thank you for the reply. we will go get the O-GPS unit.
12-22-2020, 09:59 AM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
here is the in depth review for it

QuoteQuote:
Pentax O-GPS1 GPS Unit
Introduction
The Pentax O-GPS1 unit is a small accessory unit that attaches to any K-01, K-5, K-r or 645D (or newer) camera flash hotshoe and provides geotagging of images (latitude, longitude, elevation), an electronic compass, and a simple navigator function. The GPS function also has the option of keeping the camera clock up-to-date. It was announced in June, 2011 and made available shortly thereafter.

On the K-5 & K-r, the unit also provides an Astrotracer function that allows the camera sensor to act as a simple equatorial mount for astrophotography. This allows for exposures of up to five minutes without incurring star trails on the photo.

Read more at: Pentax O-GPS1 GPS Unit Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

this in depth review comparison has a useful chart
QuoteQuote:
Before we discuss specific features, and to help you budget your astrophotography, let's take a look at what features are supported by each camera model.
Read more at: O-GPS1 vs Built-in GPS Guide - Feature Comparison - In-Depth Articles

12-22-2020, 12:45 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Others have the basics covered in that you need the O-GPS1 unit.

As a long time user it takes some practice and getting use to so don't expect great shots on your first attempt. It took me a good while until I figured it out and started getting good results. that said with practice and a great lens you can get some outstanding shots with it.
12-22-2020, 12:58 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote

As a long time user it takes some practice and getting use to so don't expect great shots on your first attempt. It took me a good while until I figured it out and started getting good results. that said with practice and a great lens you can get some outstanding shots with it.
Thanks for nothing, MossyRocks! I just had to click on your link and see your photo of the Great Nebula of Orion. Now I want an O-GPS1 for Christmas--on the afternoon of December 22!
12-22-2020, 08:16 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I actually got pretty good results on my first use, thanks to all the great info found here on Pentax Forums.

12-23-2020, 04:20 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ecostigny Quote
Thanks for nothing, MossyRocks! I just had to click on your link and see your photo of the Great Nebula of Orion. Now I want an O-GPS1 for Christmas--on the afternoon of December 22!
Well I'm here to help others spend money, the only problem is I spend a lot of my money too. And yes I am looking to upgrade my capabilities and get a big equatorial with an autoguiding setup, so in other words spend about 12 to 15 the cost of the O-GPS1. A lot of practice, learning, and failure went into that shot, also a lot of credit goes to the legend of a lens the SMC A * 400mm f/2.8 ED [IF]. My first shots with astrotracer and in astrophotography in general are rather embarrassing but they can be found over in the astro group. However with effort one can get a shot like that.
12-24-2020, 12:52 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Well I'm here to help others spend money, the only problem is I spend a lot of my money too. And yes I am looking to upgrade my capabilities and get a big equatorial with an autoguiding setup, so in other words spend about 12 to 15 the cost of the O-GPS1. A lot of practice, learning, and failure went into that shot, also a lot of credit goes to the legend of a lens the SMC A * 400mm f/2.8 ED [IF]. My first shots with astrotracer and in astrophotography in general are rather embarrassing but they can be found over in the astro group. However with effort one can get a shot like that.
I'm not afraid of repeated attempts to get a picture right. I'm still working on obtaining a satisfactory Milky Way picture; something that's not easy to do amidst the light pollution that's rampant on the Connecticut shoreline!