Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-28-2020, 09:51 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
I didn't think any Pentax macro lenses even had a focus motor, much less one of the failure-prone SDM motors.
Agreed.

12-28-2020, 10:02 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

If there is any issue at all here, it's tha macro lenses achieve macro by extending the front elements out further than non macro lenses. More throw in the focussing system will mean more dust and moisture inside the lens. I have no idea if that's true for WR, dust sealed lenses. I suspect even if once true, it's now meaningless for folks buying current gear. For older gear, any lens can have dust or fungus.

We have two macros non WR that have been immersed I water. We slightly disassembled them and dried them out and have and no issues with them. I have no insight on what it takes to actually get mold.

I did get mold in one of my first zooms. I took it on a 10 day canoe trip 40 years ago, so living out doors for 10 days, no waterproof case, probably taking on moisture every morning and evening. No dust or water seals. Just in a regular camera bag, and stored outside my tent. But hey, everyone is dumb at least once.

I don't do that kind of stuff anymore.

Last edited by normhead; 12-28-2020 at 10:13 AM.
12-28-2020, 10:22 AM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dlhawes Quote
though it's got the SMC motor that seems to have caused a lot of trouble.
Yep, the multi-coating on the gear train flaked off within a few weeks of manufacture, resulting in a massive recall.

Steve
12-28-2020, 11:32 AM   #19
dlhawes

Ah, yes, my confusion. Thanks for that information. Either way, the lens is terrific.

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
??????

The FA 100 f2.8 has a screw drive focus system using an in body motor not an in lens motor ( as does the F and DA version including the WR version.) There are no Pentax branded macro lenses with any other type of focus system.

SMC is a coating on the lens elements. Did you mix this up with SDM? SDM is the silent motor system used in some lenses. The early SDM was prone to failure, the newer versions not so much.

12-28-2020, 01:33 PM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
I didn't think any Pentax macro lenses even had a focus motor, much less one of the failure-prone SDM motors.
To clarify, the only lenses which can suffer from SDM failure are the following :

- DA* 16-50 (but can be converted to screw-drive)
- DA* 50-135 (but can be converted to screw-drive)
- DA* 200 (but can be converted to screw-drive)
- DA* 300 (but can be converted to screw-drive)
- DA* 55
- DA* 60-250
- DA 17-70

Besides, recent version of those lenses are supposed to have much more robust SDM motors and thus would be much less likely to fail.

Other SDM lenses, or any other motor (screw drive, DC, PLM) are not affected.

Last edited by Bertrand3000; 12-28-2020 at 01:57 PM.
12-28-2020, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand3000 Quote
To clarify, the only lenses which can suffer from SDM failure are the following :

- DA* 16-50 (but can be converted to screw-drive)
- DA* 50-135 (but can be converted to screw-drive)
- DA* 60-250
- DA 17-70

Besides, recent version of those lenses are supposed to have much more robust SDM motors and thus would be much less likely to fail.

Other SDM lenses, or any other motor (screw drive, DC, PLM) are not affected.
That list is incomplete:

DA* 200 (can be converted) I have converted at least 5 or 6
DA* 300 (can be converted) See above.
DA* 55 (cannot be converted) My copy (thank goodness) continues to work normally.

These are just off the top of my mind. I'm not sure there are not others I have forgotten.
12-28-2020, 01:56 PM   #22
Veteran Member

That list is incomplete:
Thanks for adding, I fixed my post. You are without any doubt the person who knows the most about this subject.

12-28-2020, 02:00 PM   #23
Pentaxian

I would think any in lens motor from any system would fail eventually.The beauty of screw drive was always, you get a new lens motor every time you upgrade your camera body.

Someday, I'll ask the guy at Sun Camera if the SDM motors fail more than one's from other systems.
12-28-2020, 02:30 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I would think any in lens motor from any system would fail eventually.The beauty of screw drive was always, you get a new lens motor every time you upgrade your camera body.
That's actually a good point. I guess there must be an engineering reason why screw drive can't be as accurate or quiet or fast, but the appeal of always getting a focus performance upgrade with every new body seems appealing.

I do find it annoying that Pentax doesn't include a focus drive selection feature for those lenses with both screw drive and focus motors.
12-28-2020, 02:46 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand3000 Quote
Thanks for adding, I fixed my post. You are without any doubt the person who knows the most about this subject.
LOL
I doubt that. I may know the most about converting the four lenses I convert - but not anything more than this.
12-28-2020, 08:24 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have seen a few 100mm f/4 lenses with separated lens elements in the front group. Historically, when lenses used Canada balsam as cement, you might see variation in permanence with different years. I'm not sure when companies stopped using Canada Balsam.
12-29-2020, 02:59 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That list is incompleteA* 200 (can be converted) I have converted at least 5 or 6DA* 300 (can be converted) See above.DA* 55 (cannot be converted) My copy (thank goodness) continues to work normally.These are just off the top of my mind. I'm not sure there are not others I have forgotten.
Don't forget the DA* 60-250mm SDM. Mine has failed, and apparently cannot be converted to screw-drive.
12-29-2020, 03:01 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
Don't forget the DA* 60-250mm SDM. Mine has failed, and apparently cannot be converted to screw-drive.
That’s already listed in the post I quoted.
12-29-2020, 03:35 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmmm... I didn't see it when I read post #20, and I expected to. Oh well; mine's still dead. Manual focusing is usually not a problem when I use it, and I got it at a great price from a PF member, so I'm content.
12-29-2020, 07:28 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
Hmmm... I didn't see it when I read post #20, and I expected to. Oh well; mine's still dead. Manual focusing is usually not a problem when I use it, and I got it at a great price from a PF member, so I'm content.
I really wish it could be fixed.