Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2020, 06:14 AM   #1

Godox XProP flash unit and Pentak K3-II

Hi

I have purchased a (brand-new) Godox X-Pro P wireless flash trigger for my Pentax K3-II. The instruction book says it works with a K3-II. I also have a Pentax AF-540FGZ and a Pentax AF-360FGZ flash unit. I have set the trigger and flash to Ch1 and the flash to Wireless and Slave, but the flash won't fire (I tried both flash guns but neither of them will fire). The images in the instruction book do not match the screen of the unit. I do not get any wireless icon (an (I) with a dot at the top) as shown in the guide. Can anyone please tell me what I am doing wrong? When I use the two flash guns in wireless mode they work fine, although of course both flash guns fire, which is why I bought the trigger so that only the remote flash fires. Thanks and HNY.

12-30-2020, 06:22 AM   #2
Pentaxian

AFAIK the xproP works only with Godox flashes that have built-in receiver (like Godox V1)

Pentax 540/360 fgz flashes have only optical wireless trigger, no radio receiver built in.
12-30-2020, 06:32 AM   #3

Original Poster
BarneyL: Thanks. Spoke to SRS Microsystems this morning and they will refund if I return. The user manual doesn't say anything about not working with my Pentax flash guns !!!! Regards GW
12-30-2020, 06:35 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think there are tranceivers or receivers from Godox that you can attach to your flash unit so it will fire when activated by the transmitter?

12-30-2020, 06:38 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Unfortunately, the Godox system does not trigger the Pentax branded flashes.

The Pentax flashes will communicate with one another, but one would need to be on the camera, then set one to slave (page 35 in the manual for the 360fgz)
12-30-2020, 06:56 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gwoodward Quote
Can anyone please tell me what I am doing wrong?
The Godox unit on your camera is sending a radio signal. You need to have a radio receiver to receive that signal. Godox flashes will have them built in, or they will make ones that you attach to the flash foot of your Pentax flashes.

I have never used the Godox system, but this is how Cactus radio triggers work with my system. Have a look for compatible receivers from Godox.

There is often a bit of confusion over the term "wireless". It can mean optical triggering which you have used already, but requires a flash mounted on the camera, and it also can mean radio triggering as I have explained above. The two methods don't work together.
12-30-2020, 07:38 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sadly Cactus solved this for Pentax users. Sadly they are now no more.

I've just a spare RF60x to ensure I have sufficient backups. Maybe you can find some remaining Cactus gear? I suspect Godox were instrumental in Cactus' demise. Sad as they work so well with Pentax.

12-30-2020, 07:48 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Sadly Cactus solved this for Pentax users. Sadly they are now no more.
Sort of. One still requires both a Cactus TX and RX to do the work ($$).

Steve
12-30-2020, 08:15 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gwoodward Quote
Hi

I have purchased a (brand-new) Godox X-Pro P wireless flash trigger for my Pentax K3-II. The instruction book says it works with a K3-II. I also have a Pentax AF-540FGZ and a Pentax AF-360FGZ flash unit. I have set the trigger and flash to Ch1 and the flash to Wireless and Slave, but the flash won't fire (I tried both flash guns but neither of them will fire). The images in the instruction book do not match the screen of the unit. I do not get any wireless icon (an (I) with a dot at the top) as shown in the guide. Can anyone please tell me what I am doing wrong? When I use the two flash guns in wireless mode they work fine, although of course both flash guns fire, which is why I bought the trigger so that only the remote flash fires. Thanks and HNY.
See this thread for more information

Godox X receiver for third party flashes? - PentaxForums.com
12-30-2020, 08:17 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Sort of. One still requires both a Cactus TX and RX to do the work ($$).

Steve
True, Steve, there were more ££s :-) to spend, however, until they went under their system offered much flexibility across different brands and therefore resilience. It also offered good performance.

I started flashing :-) with a Pentax 540 and a cable - I was not impressed by the optical system of triggering. Radio connectivity is much better, I believe. So the Cactus gear was a big step up and I bought into it. It was much cheaper than Pentax units, too. This is another example of the problems we Pentax owners suffer with, when trying to extend our gear beyond what Ricoh provide.

Maybe Godox have the answers and provide the accessories that emulate what Cactus offered for us? I look forward to seeing what Godox users advise. I hope they do have a solution. Maybe even to work with Cactus gear ...
12-30-2020, 08:17 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Cactus went out of business? Any official info?
12-30-2020, 08:21 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
Cactus went out of business? Any official info?
See this link

A message from Cactus. - PentaxForums.com
12-30-2020, 08:46 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
I started flashing :-) with a Pentax 540 and a cable - I was not impressed by the optical system of triggering.
I started with a Sigma EF610 DG Super and optical wireless P-TTL using the on-camera flash as master/controller. It works OK for what it does, but is cumbersome in the extreme to get set up. Of course, there is also the issue of distance and/or bright conditions. I still use P-TTL for convenience, but for the most part have moved to manual speedlights and radio wireless for multiple lighting set-ups.

Steve
12-30-2020, 09:36 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

There is this product which might be useful with your Pentax speedlights. I bought them just to use with my two but not yet needed as I've been leaning heavy on my Godox stuff.

Impact PowerSync Mini Transmitter and Receiver Kit B&H Photo
12-30-2020, 11:29 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
There is this product which might be useful with your Pentax speedlights. I bought them just to use with my two but not yet needed as I've been leaning heavy on my Godox stuff.

Impact PowerSync Mini Transmitter and Receiver Kit B&H Photo
No P-TTL...just manual sync. I use something similar with my Yongnuo setup:

Yongnuo RF-603N II Wireless Flash Trigger Kit RF-603II-N3 B&H

They are fairly amazing little devices and integrate with my YN560-TX II quite nicely too.

Steve