Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2021, 09:49 AM   #1
Forum Member

Mini SDCard formatting

Hi,

I have been having problems with my mini sd cards that i format in my K-S2, when I try to connect them to my pc, be it through camera or card reader, with or without the sd adapter, they don't mount. In the computer management software, when trying to do anything with the partition I get a 'The system cannot find the file specified' error. Regular SD cards are fine. has anyone come across this?

Thanks

Lisa

01-02-2021, 10:36 AM - 1 Like   #2

For what it is worth the Ricoh support FAQs specifically advises not using microSD cards in their cameras.

However, if you choose not to follow manufacturers recommendations I would try using SD Formatter instead. SD Formatter will restore the formatting to industry standards and how it should have been formatted from the factory.

SD Memory Card Formatter - SD Association
01-02-2021, 10:59 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WondringLisa Quote
Hi,

I have been having problems with my mini sd cards that i format in my K-S2, when I try to connect them to my pc, be it through camera or card reader, with or without the sd adapter, they don't mount. In the computer management software, when trying to do anything with the partition I get a 'The system cannot find the file specified' error. Regular SD cards are fine. has anyone come across this?

Thanks

Lisa
I'm not an sdcard expert, but I use almost exclusively micro cards now. The Pentax warning doesn't make any sense to me. What does make sense is that when the contacts on a regular sdcard break, you can't read the card. On the other hand, if the contacts on an adapter break, you can put the micro into a new adapter and still read the card. I've had multiple sdcard contacts (Sandisk and I believe one Kingston) fail. If the micro lives its life in an adapter, it's pretty unlikely to suffer physical damage, and I've never experienced a physically damaged micro card... except the one I accidentally dropped into my garbage disposal.

In any case I've never had access problems related to formatting, but have used the official formatting tool mentioned in this thread and would suggest that.
01-02-2021, 11:06 AM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use a mixture of the card types - micros and standard, no mini

and have never had a problem

I always format my cards in the camera

Last edited by aslyfox; 01-02-2021 at 11:17 AM.
01-02-2021, 11:08 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi,

Lisa says mini - not micro SD cards. They're sized somewhere between regular and micro SD cards. I've got two of them and used them (in an adapter) without problems in K-m years ago.
As for micro SD cards, I use these in K-S1 and read them without problems both through a cable or using a USB 3 reader. But in Linux - not in Windows, which might be the difference.

I'd give a try to another computer, ideally with a different operating system. Or (at least) a different Windows computer. There might be something written in the registry causing attempts to start an incorrectly de/installed program when these cards (based on their serial numbers) are being inserted.
01-02-2021, 11:16 AM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hjortron Quote
Hi,

Lisa says mini - not micro SD cards. They're sized somewhere between regular and micro SD cards. I've got two of them and used them (in an adapter) without problems in K-m years ago.
As for micro SD cards, I use these in K-S1 and read them without problems both through a cable or using a USB 3 reader. But in Linux - not in Windows, which might be the difference. . ..
are there many " Mini " cards around ?

QuoteQuote:
Comprehensive SD Card Guide for Photographers
Become a memory card expert
By PF Staff in Articles and Tips on Jul 1, 2016

. . . Because SD cards are subject to a continuously-evolving set of standards, we'd like to take this opportunity to shed some light on SD nomenclature and card types. In addition, we will make recommendations to ensure that the card you pair with your camera delivers optimal performance.

By the time you finish reading this article, you'll be a SD memory card expert!

Physical Size
The first thing to note is that SD cards come in three different form factors: full-size, mini, and micro. All Pentax DSLRs launched to date use full-size SD cards— the most common type. Action cameras like the Ricoh WG-M2 use microSD cards, which are also frequently used in modern smartphones. miniSD cards are comparatively rare and you won't find too many of them on the market these days. . . .
Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/artic
01-02-2021, 11:43 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Any card using an adapter is just one more set of contacts, use full size cards and download via cable and format in camera, very little wear and tear on card contacts that way. The cable may be a little slower than a card reader but not that much, if WiFi was faster I would use it exclusively. I haven’t tried it for a while, time to give it another go.

01-02-2021, 11:54 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Any card using an adapter is just one more set of contacts, use full size cards and download via cable and format in camera, very little wear and tear on card contacts that way. The cable may be a little slower than a card reader but not that much, if WiFi was faster I would use it exclusively. I haven’t tried it for a while, time to give it another go.
That is logical in that I'm surprised that I haven't had any contact problems with micro cards. Usually find it less convenient to use a cable to download, although that clearly has some pros and cons. With a cable there's no wear on the card slot, but there is wear on usb connectors - and also on the camera and PC when you pick up either one and forget the other one is still attached by the cable. Not that that's ever happened to me - well not more than five or ten times. No in-camera wifi on a K-5 so not an option for me.
01-02-2021, 12:02 PM   #9

K-S1 | FAQ | Support | RICOH IMAGING
K-S2 | FAQ | Support | RICOH IMAGING

Can a miniSD card or microSD card be used through a memory card adapter?
Proper operation of a memory card used through an adapter cannot be guaranteed.
Use a regular SD Memory Card.
Both min and micro cards are mentioned. This FAQ is on every of the K-mount bodies I checked on Ricoh's support pages. The problems are probably with the adapters more than the cards. It may not make sense until you have a problem, which apparently the OP has.

Last edited by Not a Number; 01-02-2021 at 12:19 PM.
01-02-2021, 01:40 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Iv'e been using SD cards ever since I could only afford a 250Mb one and have never broken one. Try to be a little less clumsy. I have no choice but to use micro SD card in my Samsung compact, they need greater care and should they be used in an adaptor, then trying different adaptors might solve the problem, as having double the ammount of connections to make cannot help the reliability.
01-02-2021, 02:03 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
K-S1 | FAQ | Support | RICOH IMAGING
K-S2 | FAQ | Support | RICOH IMAGING

Can a miniSD card or microSD card be used through a memory card adapter?
Proper operation of a memory card used through an adapter cannot be guaranteed.
Use a regular SD Memory Card.
Both min and micro cards are mentioned. This FAQ is on every of the K-mount bodies I checked on Ricoh's support pages. The problems are probably with the adapters more than the cards. It may not make sense until you have a problem, which apparently the OP has.
Pentax won't guarantee proper operation of a regular sd card either, but their statement would be more convincing if they gave a reason for their position. I've asked SanDisk and Samsung for their opinions just now. For me, having three full-size cards fail from two reputable manufacturers, but no micro cards fail, is sufficient justification for not using full-sized cards, in the absence of any evidence from Pentax.

Last edited by tibbitts; 01-02-2021 at 02:19 PM.
01-02-2021, 04:44 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Quite personally, I avoid micro/mini cards in any device that doesn't natively use those types of cards because of possible adapter-related issues.

So, maybe, the next gen Pentax DSLRs will use natively micro-SDHC cards because that's the "way forward" (as far as I can see ATM)?.
01-03-2021, 03:32 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
To clear things up, I meant micro. I forgot there was an intermediate size sd card at one point. I think I'm going to get some regular SD cards once I can afford it.
01-03-2021, 09:01 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WondringLisa Quote
To clear things up, I meant micro. I forgot there was an intermediate size sd card at one point. I think I'm going to get some regular SD cards once I can afford it.
I can understand the argument about the additional physical contact point being a potential issue, which is partly what I'm asking Samsung and Sandisk about, but what happens when you try to use the micro card in your computer: format it, and read/write to it? After copying off your photos, of course. Or are you saying you can't copy your photos? Does the camera still read and write this card seemingly properly? Can you transfer the files via wifi if you can't in some other way?

I've never had a problem with an sd card of any size except the three full-size cards that all physically broke (the plastic around the fingers broken in all three cases) and the one micro card that found its way into the garbage disposal, but if I did have a problem that reformatting didn't fix, I'd try to find the $10 for a new card. I did have one case of odd behavior, but that card worked fine after formatting with the Tuxera formatter.

If you have your purchase receipt it's likely that your micro card may still be covered by a warranty, so you might also be able to get a new, probably better card, for the price of a postage stamp. Both manufacturers replaced my three broken cards immediately when I mailed them back.
01-05-2021, 11:39 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
but if I did have a problem that reformatting didn't fix, I'd try to find the $10 for a new card
That's my approach too. I treat SD cards as semi-disposable. When one does something hinkey, I replace it.