Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2021, 03:02 PM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax O-RC1 Remote Control

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Just picked up a used one off Evil Bay. Doesn't seem to work.When I contacted the seller and told him he gave me a full refund. Has a good battery and the camera tripped fine when I used a
Boombox remote and a BlueRay player remote which both happened to be Sony. So I figured I hit the thrift shops and find another tv type remote that would work. Tried a bunch no Sony brand though. None seem to work but then they could have all been bad. I did take new batteries with me to try various ones out. So does infrared have different frequencies or is it just one? Jim

01-07-2021, 03:21 PM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Unlike wired controls, infra-red camera remotes (like TV and hi-fi remotes) use manufacturer-specific communication protocols and encoded commands. There are, however, some inexpensive third party infra-red remotes that are designed to be Pentax compatible, from the likes of JJC. In these instances, they'll have reverse-engineered the protocol and commands from official Pentax remotes. You'll find them on eBay... but frankly, I'd stick with OEM products unless you find the prices prohibitive. They tend to be better quality.
01-07-2021, 03:36 PM - 1 Like   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldseabee Quote
So does infrared have different frequencies or is it just one? Jim
Each maker has their own handshake and protocol. Otherwise there would be cross-talk. I'm lucky in that my phone is one that still has an IR blaster. That feature along with bitshift's DSLR Remote app allows me to use IR remote on my K-3. I am pretty sure there are add-on IR blasters that plug into the phone's headset or USB ports, so that might be an option.

Steve
01-07-2021, 03:51 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is rare for me to recommend third-party over Pentax-branded accessories, but with its soldered battery, which basically renders it a disposable product, the O-RC1 Remote Control is a fail in the sustainability department, while still being priced like a responsible product.

In the light of this, and as someone who usually manages to keep small accessories dry, I have opted for a China-made cheapo alternative which is at least honest about the possible unsustainability involved in its production, as reflected in its dirt-cheap price:

IR Wireless Remote for Pentax and Samsung Cameras - JJC

For PF user reviews (including my own), look here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/jjc-rm-e7-remote-control.html

Does what it is supposed to do with my K-3, runs on a common replaceable battery, and is fun to use. I should mention that I also own and still occasionally use the original Pentax Remote F (whose battery could also be replaced if I employed a micro scroogie).

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 01-07-2021 at 04:12 PM. Reason: PF user reviews link added.
01-07-2021, 04:10 PM   #5

I use an El-Cheapo IR Remote I bought from Amazon for my K10. It works fine for my K3, as well.
I just went and looked, and there are a couple on the 'zon for between $8 and $30.

Kirk B.
01-07-2021, 09:00 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is one time a third party item is better than the genuine Pentax in my experience. I have a Pentax F remote and a couple of Jue Ying remotes that cost me about $3 each, they have a far greater range than the Pentax. However I don't see them now, but the Bower remote for about $6 on ebay is the same remote.
01-08-2021, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Battery replacement. See here>>O-RC1 battery replacement.

01-08-2021, 10:19 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I bought the Pentax 'F' IR control because it fitted in the battery grip of my K20D. Then I bought a K3 with grip - and it doesn't fit !
01-08-2021, 10:29 AM   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
I bought the Pentax 'F' IR control because it fitted in the battery grip of my K20D. Then I bought a K3 with grip - and it doesn't fit !
Might be worth getting the K-3III and grip when it's released... you know, just to see if the remote fits?

---------- Post added 08-01-21 at 17:33 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Each maker has their own handshake and protocol. Otherwise there would be cross-talk. I'm lucky in that my phone is one that still has an IR blaster. That feature along with bitshift's DSLR Remote app allows me to use IR remote on my K-3. I am pretty sure there are add-on IR blasters that plug into the phone's headset or USB ports, so that might be an option.
Hmmm. Thanks for that tip, Steve! My new phone- rather unusually for a current model - has an IR blaster too. I've downloaded a different app from the Google Play store - Camera Remote by Dev Null - and it works perfectly. Nice

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-08-2021 at 10:38 AM.
01-08-2021, 10:46 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Might be worth getting the K-3III and grip when it's released... you know, just to see if the remote fits? <snip>
Thanks, but have already discovered that the K20D grip is the last one that had this facility - later ones are several mm narrower, so have insufficient space - also a somewhat expensive solution to an extremely minor issue. Problem solved, however - it fits neatly in a spare pocket of my SD card wallet !

Anyway, I have now run out of relatives who can leave me enough in their will to get another new camera !
01-08-2021, 10:59 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Hmmm. Thanks for that tip, Steve! My new phone- rather unusually for a current model - has an IR blaster too. I've downloaded a different app from the Google Play store - Camera Remote by Dev Null - and it works perfectly. Nice
Cool! One reason I use and recommend the DSLR Remote app is that it was developed using Pentax cameras. That said, it does have the quirk in that the intervalometer feature requires that "B" mode be configured to type 2 ("T") behavior.

Steve
01-08-2021, 06:41 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
Battery replacement. See here>>O-RC1 battery replacement.
In regards to changing the battery that was the first thing I checked and the battery was good so I'm just going to use the Sony remotes that work. Jim