Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2021, 01:00 PM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax Extension tube ?

I just received a mint set of extension tubes for my Pentax. These are M42 mount with pins to connect to aperture. What is metering method with my Spotmatic F or my ESII bodies? It seems the meter on my Spotmatic F functions only when I activate the stop down button on the camera body. I was hoping the pin connection would allow full aperture metering! Maybe not..I am especially curious about using on my ESII bodies. Thanks!

01-09-2021, 01:36 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Open aperture metering with the Spotmatic F and ES require more than just the aperture stop down pin.

I have the Pentax Auto Extension Tube set and they do not have the aperture coupler, just the stop down pin.

Last edited by boriscleto; 01-09-2021 at 01:42 PM.
01-09-2021, 02:06 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks! So......Stop down metering only. I presume the ESII bodies would have to be in stop down mode to meter.
01-09-2021, 02:16 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JimboWalker Quote
I was hoping the pin connection would allow full aperture metering!
Sorry, but no. The "Auto" in the name stands for auto aperture stopdown actuation using the silver pin. If Pentax ever made a fully coupled extension tube set for the SP F, ES, or ESII, such is not in any of the literature I have at my disposal.

Steve