Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2021, 06:31 PM   #1
Forum Member

SDM lens manual focus question

Hello, I have just acquired my first SDM lens (16-50mm f2.8) and the manual focus feels very "rough". It travels through the whole focus range, it's just not smooth at all. To clarify, I have the lens but I don't currently have camera body to mount it on and test the SDM. I know it won't be smooth like a manual focus lens, but I wasn't expecting it to feel so awful. What is the typical feel of an SDM lens when manual focusing?
Thanks

01-19-2021, 06:53 PM   #2

Have you switched the lens to MF?
01-19-2021, 11:01 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It should be nice and smooth, and considerably better than film-era autofocus lenses. Sounds like there might be an issue with the lens.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-19-2021, 11:30 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe if possible post a video? Different people perceive the da* lenses focus rings differently. They have a clutch that interacts with the focus ring that you can feel. It isn’t “rough” like a bad manual focus lens but it has a grittiness to it. It has no real resistance - less than a typical K or M or A series lens, but it isn’t buttery smooth.

01-24-2021, 08:20 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi, I just saw these replies now. It seems exactly the same in AF or MF mode (on the lens). Here is the video, but I think I already know the answer. Definitely rougher than my FA lenses when manual focusing.
01-24-2021, 09:39 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ianinbc Quote
Hi, I just saw these replies now. It seems exactly the same in AF or MF mode (on the lens). Here is the video, but I think I already know the answer. Definitely rougher than my FA lenses when manual focusing.
https://youtu.be/3zDztGXR-js
That’s hard to assess. Mine sounds similar but much less loud. It could be microphone and gain causing the confusion. I can try recreating your video with my lens.
01-25-2021, 10:38 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sound of DA* 16-50 manual focus by -vanya_42nd-

As promised.

01-25-2021, 10:39 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Listening to both I’m stumped. I can’t tell if the differences are real or just mic related.