Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-19-2021, 06:58 PM   #1

Astrotracer with D-70 and Manual Lens

With a manual 180 mm lens on my D-70 and the O-GPS1 unit, I notice that the shake reduction feature is grayed out and set to off. I have engaged the aperture ring and manually set the focal length when the camera is turned on with the manual lens. Does the shake reduction feature need to be on to make the Astrotracer work?

01-19-2021, 07:09 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JimCase Quote
With a manual 180 mm lens on my D-70 and the O-GPS1 unit, I notice that the shake reduction feature is grayed out and set to off. I have engaged the aperture ring and manually set the focal length when the camera is turned on with the manual lens. Does the shake reduction feature need to be on to make the Astrotracer work?
I believe that Astrotracer uses the shake reduction hardware to work.
01-19-2021, 07:40 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Although both shake reduction and astrotracer use the same sensor motion system, they cannot be used at the same time.

Astrotracer depends on the camera being mounted on a very stable platform (a high quality solid tripod and not too much wind) so that the sensor can carefully and slowly track the motion of the stars.

Although it would be nice if astrotracer + SR could compensate for any errant vibrations in the camera, two serious obstacles prevent using them together. First, the accelerometers and gyrosensors used in the camera to detect shake are not accurate enough to track vibration over the minutes-long astrotracer process. Noise and error in those sensors would cause erroneous shifting of the sensor. Second, the shake reduction system is actually NOT compatible with tripods -- the motions of the sensor that compensate for vibration can set up resonating feedback loops in a tripod-mounted camera. That is, the SR system can make the vibration worse and, in some cases, the camera will buzz like an angry bee and totally blur the image.

TL;DNR: shake reduction feature will be grayed out during astrotracer -- that's normal.
01-19-2021, 08:07 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Although both shake reduction and astrotracer use the same sensor motion system, they cannot be used at the same time.

Astrotracer depends on the camera being mounted on a very stable platform (a high quality solid tripod and not too much wind) so that the sensor can carefully and slowly track the motion of the stars.

Although it would be nice if astrotracer + SR could compensate for any errant vibrations in the camera, two serious obstacles prevent using them together. First, the accelerometers and gyrosensors used in the camera to detect shake are not accurate enough to track vibration over the minutes-long astrotracer process. Noise and error in those sensors would cause erroneous shifting of the sensor. Second, the shake reduction system is actually NOT compatible with tripods -- the motions of the sensor that compensate for vibration can set up resonating feedback loops in a tripod-mounted camera. That is, the SR system can make the vibration worse and, in some cases, the camera will buzz like an angry bee and totally blur the image.

TL;DNR: shake reduction feature will be grayed out during astrotracer -- that's normal.
Thanks! I can not wait to take this out on the next clear night to try a test drive.

01-19-2021, 08:32 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You do mean K-70 instead of D-70 don't you??
01-19-2021, 08:46 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I have engaged the aperture ring and manually set the focal length when the camera is turned on with the manual lens. Does the shake reduction feature need to be on to make the Astrotracer work?
the aperture ring engaged or not has no effect....the proper focal input is!! i believe astrotracer only becomes active when in bulb mode......you can set manually or green button and the camera will set the exposure time
01-19-2021, 09:31 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
You do mean K-70 instead of D-70 don't you??
Yes. My typo

01-19-2021, 10:57 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
the aperture ring engaged or not has no effect....the proper focal input is!! i believe astrotracer only becomes active when in bulb mode......you can set manually or green button and the camera will set the exposure time
I needed to.set the aperture ring to allow me to get prompted to set the focal length of the manual lens when the camera is turned on. Yes bulb mode is required.