Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-27-2021, 02:33 PM   #1
Forum Member

55-300 PLM issue, any help appreciated

I recently purchased a second hand PLM zoom and tested it out yesterday with no issues. Having a play today and when I start up my KP the lens makes a focussing sound followed by a rapid sequence of clicks as if the aperture or some other mechanism is activating. It lasts about five seconds, then the lens appears to be back to normal. It also does this when waking the camera up from standby. I tested it on my K70 to see if it was a KP issue same thing happens. I can't find any reference to this issue anywhere o the internet, I would appreciate any advice (other than returning the lens, which will be a last resort).

01-27-2021, 02:55 PM   #2
Pentaxian

That does not sound normal for this lens. Mine does not make any similar sounds like that you describe. On mine the focus motor is barely audible only indoors in a totally quiet room and there are no other sounds from the lens that I can detect. I would consider returning it.

Last edited by jddwoods; 01-27-2021 at 03:01 PM.
01-27-2021, 04:41 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That definitely doesn't sound normal at all. Have you tried cleaning the contacts on the lens? (stretching here) Are you starting up the camera with the lens retracted or is it already out (not that it should matter but you never know, stranger things have happened).
01-27-2021, 04:45 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If I put my ear up to the barrel on start up I hear a slight sound. If the lense is closed or at 55mm it is even quicker than at 300mm which is less than a second. No clicking. Just a very quiet even "eeeuh".

01-27-2021, 05:06 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
That definitely doesn't sound normal at all. Have you tried cleaning the contacts on the lens? (stretching here) Are you starting up the camera with the lens retracted or is it already out (not that it should matter but you never know, stranger things have happened).
Thanks for the response, I have tried cleaning the contacts, it didn't solve the issue. I have tried starting up the camera with the lens retracted and at several different focal lengths. I managed once or twice to get the lens to start up without making the noise, both times after taking a burst of shots (out of frustration!).
01-27-2021, 05:14 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I don't have experience with this lens, but sounds to me like gears not meshing properly 😐

https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/photo-articles/lens-autofocus-drive-comparison.html

Last edited by SharkyCA; 01-27-2021 at 05:19 PM.
01-27-2021, 05:24 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
If I put my ear up to the barrel on start up I hear a slight sound. If the lense is closed or at 55mm it is even quicker than at 300mm which is less than a second. No clicking. Just a very quiet even "eeeuh".
Thanks, if I put my ear up to mine it gives me a headache! I wonder if the pulse motor/electromagnet needs to be 'exercised', and being a second hand lens it has been sitting around a while.

---------- Post added 01-27-21 at 05:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote
I don't have experience with this lens, but sounds to me like gears not meshing properly 😐

The 5 Lens Autofocus Drive Types Explained - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
It certainly does sound like that. Thank you for the link. I believe the PLM has a small internal screw that is driven by the pulse motor, so it could be the issue. It only occurs at start up or wake up from standby, as far as I can determine it works fine after that.

01-27-2021, 06:47 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Buntzbooze Quote
I recently purchased a second hand PLM zoom and tested it out yesterday with no issues. Having a play today and when I start up my KP the lens makes a focussing sound followed by a rapid sequence of clicks as if the aperture or some other mechanism is activating. It lasts about five seconds, then the lens appears to be back to normal. It also does this when waking the camera up from standby. I tested it on my K70 to see if it was a KP issue same thing happens. I can't find any reference to this issue anywhere o the internet, I would appreciate any advice (other than returning the lens, which will be a last resort).
I don't know if it has an effect on your lens, but check this out! HD PENTAX-DA 55-300mmF4.5-6.3ED PLM WR RE / Telephoto Lenses / K-mount Lenses / Lenses / Products | RICOH IMAGING
Attached Images

01-27-2021, 09:11 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote
The OP has a KP
01-27-2021, 09:47 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think somebody sold you a damaged lens, unless it was nearly free, return it.
01-27-2021, 10:12 PM   #11
Forum Member

Were you using live view? PLM 553 adjust aperture from wide open to f8-ish aperture in live view when the scene is too bright, and that aperture change can cause some noise.
01-28-2021, 01:00 AM - 1 Like   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ok, woke up this morning and tried my K70 with PLM (had to do this in the spare room as the other half was getting sick of the noise!) and so far, so good. The issue has gone away. I have a theory; I had removed my KP's battery for a few hours to charge it yesterday morning with the PLM attached. Could the the electromagnet in the PLM have 'drained' whilst conected to the camera, therefore making the motor work extra hard when tested later that evening? As I mentioned it was second hand, so who knows how long it has sat around. It gas also been freezing here in UK and delivery time was quite long, possibly exposing the lens to sub zero temperatures for a few days if sat on a wagon...
Thanks so much for the advice everyone, particularly pointing me to those diagrams on the Pentax page. Cheers.

---------- Post added 01-28-21 at 01:02 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I think somebody sold you a damaged lens, unless it was nearly free, return it.
Hi, thanks. It was less than half price, but looks in mint condition. No evidence of a knock. If the noise persists I might keep it as the image quality and focus speeds I am getting are great.

---------- Post added 01-28-21 at 01:03 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by syyrmb Quote
Were you using live view? PLM 553 adjust aperture from wide open to f8-ish aperture in live view when the scene is too bright, and that aperture change can cause some noise.
Hi, no I wasn't using Live view. Interesting to know to expect some noise in that case though, thanks.