Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2021, 01:03 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Based on your suggestions I proactively purchased that white solenoid a few weeks ago from the seller you highlighted and have it put up "just in case". It wasn't at all expensive and with the detailed instruction you've graciously given us on replacing one it should be within my skill level if it's ever needed.
I paid about $40 for my solenoid with free mailing. I should receive it in about a week. I don't want to fix it myself, so I'll send it with my K70 to the repair shop. If it turns out to be a permanent fix, I intend to keep the camera indefinitely since it's got everything I need for my type of photography and more.

03-08-2021, 04:02 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
About four weeks ago, I sent my K70 to Photronic ,in Topeka, to replace the faulty solenoid with the Japanese made one I purchased on Ebay. This solenoid I believe was a used one stripped from some other Pentax. I just received my camera back from the repair shop and a quick test showed that the shutter was behaving normally. The first shot gave a good exposure - not a dark image as described in my post above. I hope the aperture block problem is now fixed and that my K70 will continue to give me many more years of faithful service. The Japanese solenoid, plus the cost of repair, and postage cost a total of about $200.
03-08-2021, 05:44 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That sounds like really good news!
Finally a repairplace accepting to replace the China-Solenoid with the Japan-Solenoid.
And if you compare your costs with those by Precision you are way better off!
03-08-2021, 05:48 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by psoo Quote
About four weeks ago, I sent my K70 to Photronic ,in Topeka, to replace the faulty solenoid with the Japanese made one I purchased on Ebay. This solenoid I believe was a used one stripped from some other Pentax. I just received my camera back from the repair shop and a quick test showed that the shutter was behaving normally. The first shot gave a good exposure - not a dark image as described in my post above. I hope the aperture block problem is now fixed and that my K70 will continue to give me many more years of faithful service. The Japanese solenoid, plus the cost of repair, and postage cost a total of about $200.
I am glad it worked out well for you. My K-70 is "on the bench" at Precision and supposed to be done this week. I bought a used K-S2 and really liked it out of the box then tested it and dark photos. It went back the next day.

03-09-2021, 05:46 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gump Quote
I am glad it worked out well for you. My K-70 is "on the bench" at Precision and supposed to be done this week. I bought a used K-S2 and really liked it out of the box then tested it and dark photos. It went back the next day.
Hope it ends up well for you. It's a bummer to buy a used camera that has the aperture block problem, especially if the seller knew about the problem and said nothing. I was advised in this thread to buy a Japanese-made solenoid instead of fixing the one in the K70 by filing away part of the metal. However, the downside of doing this is that the solenoid I used carries no warranty, neither does the repair. Therefore if this Japanese solenoid fails I have no recourse. If I repaired my camera by filing the solenoid, then I would expect the repair shop to try to do a re-repair at no cost. My repair shop, Photronic, returned the old solenoid and said that if the problem recurs, he could fix the problem using the filing method. Good luck to you.

---------- Post added 03-09-21 at 07:55 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
That sounds like really good news!
Finally a repairplace accepting to replace the China-Solenoid with the Japan-Solenoid.
And if you compare your costs with those by Precision you are way better off!
The repair by Photronic was $120 and mailing it back was $21. If I had the repair done on the old solenoid by filing it would have been $120, as well. I had the repair done this way on my K50 by the guy in California and it cost $100. The K50 is still doing fine, but I don't use it much since I bought the K70.
03-09-2021, 06:21 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pleased to hear this worked out ok for you.

I had a similar fault on my K50 and followed the same path except that I self-repaired the camera. So far, all good.
03-09-2021, 08:58 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

However, the downside of doing this is that the solenoid I used carries no warranty, neither does the repair. Therefore if this Japanese solenoid fails I have no recourse. If I repaired my camera by filing the solenoid, then I would expect the repair shop to try to do a re-repair at no cost. My repair shop, Photronic, returned the old solenoid and said that if the problem recurs, he could fix the problem using the filing method.
As long as nobody filed or sanded or otherwise manipulated your Japan-Solenoid, it won't fail at all, it had a minimum lifetime span of 100000 cycles.
That's why Pentax (prior Ricoh) gave a shutterlive of 100.000 hours.

They didn't even notice that the manufacturer after moving everything to China changed it to 20.000 cycles.

I have seen one Pentax K10D and one K20D with over 100.000 shuttercount, both use the Japansolenoid.

So don't worry, if all was done alright, this solenoid is going to serve you well.

03-09-2021, 09:17 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm happy to hear that Phototronic was able to get your K-70 back into shape. I'm really glad I found that shop when I was living in the area. I wonder if he's noticed an increase in work on Pentax cameras over the last couple of years...
03-09-2021, 11:59 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I'm happy to hear that Phototronic was able to get your K-70 back into shape. I'm really glad I found that shop when I was living in the area. I wonder if he's noticed an increase in work on Pentax cameras over the last couple of years...
I spoke to man at Photronic before I sent my camera to him He said he had repaired many cameras with the problem by filing the solenoid and none had been returned. He said that he was confident with this type of repair but he would willingly install the Japanese solenoid, if that's what I wanted. He returned the old solenoid and said I should keep it just in case I had a problem in the future and wanted to repair it the way he normally did.
03-10-2021, 01:36 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I spoke to man at Photronic before I sent my camera to him. He said he had repaired many cameras with the problem by filing the solenoid and none had been returned.
Of course he would say that.

Imagine a car-garage telling the new customer: "Well, sometimes the repairs fail and the car had to come back".
You'd change the garage right away!

All he did was simple psychology.

If an engineer has little experience with soldering he well prefer sanding/filing.

Soldering is not for everybody (but can be learned, for some eyesight might pose another problem but even that can be solved)

If a car-garage sells only tyres made by Good-Year but you want Nokian, they might invent arguments against Nokian.

Just think about it logically and leave the uneasyness out.

And if your Pentax with the correct solenoid goes wrong, I can asure you the fault is with 99,999% certainty not the solenoid!

Wrong soldering can look like this:

Somebody posted me this photo asking me for advice. He purchased the solenoid on ebay.com and the seller would not send out such a solenoid, I am sure about that. I could see right away that the wires have been touched with the top of the soldering-iron. With some luck one might be able to

still repair it if just one wire and one can solder it back on, but I would not recommend it because the laquer of more wires is possibly hurt.

Last edited by photogem; 03-10-2021 at 02:03 AM.
03-10-2021, 06:57 AM - 1 Like   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
photogem, Phototronic did a different repair than what he said had not come back. He did as the customer asked after discussion. I've worked with Phototronic and I found the owner to be easy to talk to, work with, and I believe he is honest.
03-10-2021, 09:08 AM - 1 Like   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
photogem, Phototronic did a different repair than what he said had not come back. He did as the customer asked after discussion. I've worked with Phototronic and I found the owner to be easy to talk to, work with, and I believe he is honest.
I talked to the man at Photronic a couple of times before and after the repair. It was refreshing to have a company pick up the phone when you call and not ask you to leave a message. He was always straightforward and pleasant. I believed him when he said none of his repairs using the filing technique failed. I will be happy to do business with him in the future if the need arises.