Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-30-2021, 06:31 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pentax FA-50mm 1.7 Front Focus Issue

I recently acquired a FA-50mm F1.7 and it has a sever front focusing issue. It acts the same on both my K-3 and KP. Even when I set the fine focus adjustment to -10 and shoot the SLRKIT focus adjustment target it looks like +2 is in focus not the 0. The SLRKIT picture shot at F1.7 to narrow the DOF. Does anyone know if there is a way to adjust the lens itself ? See picture. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
01-30-2021, 07:36 PM   #2
Pentaxian

significant front-back focus most likely cannot be corrected by yourself... unless relatively small...
high-quality repairs can only be done in a specialized workshop or in some specialized service... this may require adjusting the lens together with the camera itself, as I know, a lens without a camera cannot be adjusted separately...
01-31-2021, 12:54 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are some threads for similar lenses which can be opened at the front for adjustment of infinity:
FA50 disassembly and infinity focus adjustment - PentaxForums.com
SMC Pentax-F 50mm F1.7 Disassembly - PentaxForums.com
01-31-2021, 11:10 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
There are some threads for similar lenses which can be opened at the front for adjustment of infinity:
SMC Pentax-F 50mm F1.7 Disassembly - PentaxForums.com
Thanks !!! that looks helpful !

02-01-2021, 04:20 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Will adjusting infinity focus do anything for focus accuracy?

I’m not sure I understand how that works...

Does the lens focus properly in live view?

-Eric
02-01-2021, 05:26 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Probably a decentred copy, Dronegeek, this is the risk of buying without new warranty. Can you send it back?
02-01-2021, 05:38 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Will adjusting infinity focus do anything for focus accuracy?
Only if infinity focus is unattainable...

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Does the lens focus properly in live view?
This ^ ^ ^

...or with manual focus using magnified live view. FWIW...slant targets are very problematic.

Steve

02-01-2021, 08:32 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Probably a decentred copy, Dronegeek, this is the risk of buying without new warranty. Can you send it back?
I might have a bad copy which I cannot send back. I have not tried live view with manual focus but it is worth a shot. I can get some sharp shots if I stop down and enlarge the depth of field.
02-01-2021, 08:45 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dronegeek Quote
I might have a bad copy which I cannot send back.
Sad to hear, always a risk buying secondhand without a mechanism (such as PayPal) for refund if defective.
02-01-2021, 08:57 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Live view and manual focus performs much better ! See this picture taken wide open. (yes my wife's Christmas Tree is still up....) Thanks for the suggestion!!!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
02-01-2021, 10:14 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My guess is that it would help to clean the contacts that report distance to the camera. I don't know if it will work. In the link below, photo 10 shows the contact brush and photo 13 shows the copper strips the brush touches. Some electrical contact cleaner should work. The brush is easy to bend. I would remove the screws, remove the brush, spray contact cleaner on a rag and wipe the brush across the rag parallel with the brushes.

Like I said, just a guess, but I don't know what else could be adjusted.
02-01-2021, 11:10 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Forum Member

I had a lens which fine focus adjustment at +10 was insufficient. My solution was set the camera Fine Focus adjustment to +5 next activate the Debug Mode in my KS2, then use the focus adjustment facility n the Debug Mode to calibrate focus. It worked perfectly. Be advised that all your other lenses will now be shifted -5 points and must be recalibrated. Debug Mode is a bit risky so use at your own risk.