Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
01-31-2021, 06:31 AM   #1

Anyone know how to get rid of red eye

Hey so I have a Pentax x70 I was wondering how you get rid of red eye if there’s any way I could or is it just due to bad lighting

01-31-2021, 06:38 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Avoid using the flash if possible.
01-31-2021, 06:42 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Many programs have red eye removal function. Faststone (free), which I recommend as a simple general image editing program (crop, resize, add some writing, shapes, lines etc etc) for example.
01-31-2021, 06:51 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I believe there is a red eye option in the flash menu, set it before taking the shot and it flashes to cause the subjects iris to close, removing the issue at source.

01-31-2021, 06:52 AM - 1 Like   #5
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Red-eye removal post processing is possible in a lot of programs. It is largely caused by direct flash bouncing off the retina. This is typically worse in situations where you need flash, i.e. low lighting, where pupils will be dilated. Some other solutions are using a diffuser (anything from a formal one to a handkerchief or piece of paper), to bouncing the flash, to using a pre-flash to get the pupils to contract before the shot is taken.
01-31-2021, 07:37 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Lift the flash up, Change the angle to the retina, or post process with most any software to remove red eye. Most common with on camera flash heads

Hang up and DRIVE!
01-31-2021, 07:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I have never really liked the pre flash technique as I have found many subjects tend to close their eyes and blink once the preflash fires leading to shots with closed eyes, contrary to what people say about the flash being too brief for the eyes to react - well if the pupils can constrict then the eyes can close . Worth trying to see how your subjects react, but make sure to chimp to make sure eyes not closed

If you can try and move the flash away from the lens axis i.e. flash not in hot shoe and moved up and or to the side - shadow will of course change relative to flash angle.

There are some rotating flash brackets available Stroboframe and Vello come to mind these will position your flash far enough away for red eye not to be a problem and will rotate (manually) when you move the camera between landscape and portrait.

Last edited by TonyW; 01-31-2021 at 08:20 AM.
01-31-2021, 08:27 AM - 1 Like   #8

If you use an offset flash, you won’t get red eye. The red eye occurs when the flash is very close in direct line with the lens (like with a pop-up flash).

I use an L-bracket to get the flash 6-8” up and to the left of the camera. I use a flash cord from the hot shoe to trigger the flash. Depending on the camera and flash, you might be able to use the flash socket. Vello has a Pentax flash cord that has all the contacts for Pentax smart TTL flashes.
01-31-2021, 08:28 AM - 3 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Megzs.eq Quote
Hey so I have a Pentax x70 I was wondering how you get rid of red eye if there’s any way I could or is it just due to bad lighting
Extreme case of retina reflection!
Attached Images

01-31-2021, 08:52 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Drink less black rum. Also use an off-camera flash as mentioned already, but learn how your image software removes redeye from your photos. It's really easy to do, and if your software help files are less than forthcoming, we can help here: Photoshop, Lightroom, DarkTable, RawTherapee, you name it we know it. Feel free to ask!
01-31-2021, 11:40 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just googled this (because I never used a X70 but only the K70)

Red-eye reduction function corrects for red eyes as the result of flash photography. Red-eye reduction can be applied during capture, or as a post-capture filter.

The X70 has a pop-up flash with various settings, including Auto, Auto with Red-eye, Flash on + Red-eye, Slow-speed Sync and Slow-speed Sync with Red-eye, which can be changed by clicking the left arrow button on the four-way controller. It has an effective range of 29.9-ft (wide, auto ISO) to 16.7-ft (tele, auto ISO).

So read the manual for this!
01-31-2021, 08:13 PM - 5 Likes   #12
Veteran Member

Removing red eye is actually one of the easiest things to do with any photo editing tool. Just place a black dot over the glowing red pupils. It works best if you zoom in first so you've got a little room to work with.

That said, I can think of one photo I took many years ago, back in my newspaper days, where I intentionally used red eye to great effect. A local equipment rental company had gotten a new security dog and I went over there at closing time, when they let the dog out of its holding pen and gave it run of the equipment yard. It immediately came over to where I was standing—on the opposite side of the fence—and started barking at me. Since it was dusk, I had the flash on my camera and intentionally aimed it straight into the dog's eyes to produce a 'hell hound' effect, which was made all the more effective by its bared teeth.
01-31-2021, 10:59 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is very common in portraits to fill in the reflections on the eye, and then "paint" in a catchlight. Usually done where you have multiple light sources and the reflections are not ideal.
02-01-2021, 01:36 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As the X70 can not use an external flash and the internal flash is a fixed one, your are limited to the following options from the mentioned above.
  1. Avoid using a flash.
  2. Remove the red eyes in the image with a photo editing tool.
  3. Use the in camera red eye reduction, i.e. a pre flash.
  4. Try a diffusor in front of the flash.
Number 3. and 4. will not work every time, so # 2 is your best option, if you can not avoid using a flash at all.

The only other option you have, is to buy a camera with an external flash shoe, then you can use an external flash away from the optical axis of the lens.
Bridge cameras with an external flash shoe are not very common though.
02-01-2021, 05:50 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Anyone know how to get rid of red eye
Try to get some more sleep?