Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-02-2021, 05:03 PM   #1

External Flash

Hi

I use a Pentax K3 and have minimal experience using external flash so I'm looking into it but I'm unsure what to get. (University budget)

Any help would be greatly appreciated

02-02-2021, 05:30 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
May want to do a search on flash! One way to go on the less expensive side is Godox!

Flash - Site Search - PentaxForums.com
02-02-2021, 05:38 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks 👍
02-02-2021, 05:42 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jthrower Quote
Hi

I use a Pentax K3 and have minimal experience using external flash so I'm looking into it but I'm unsure what to get. (University budget)

Welcome!
Godox would be good. Also have a look if you see any Cactus units for sale. Cactus has gone out of business so you'll find no support or backup but their products are good and considering they're out of business, may be found cheaply.

02-02-2021, 05:53 PM   #5
Pentaxian

With the K3 you have a built-in flash. It's good to get an external flash that can either be attached to the hotshoe for better results, or used off-camera triggered by the built-in flash. For that, a P-TTL flash is ideal.

The other option is a wireless flash. Godox is the way to go there. They are good value. The Godox TT350P Mini Thinklite TTL Flash for Pentax is only $84.90 at B&H, and can be the basis of a more capable system later as the need arises and you perhaps add wireless triggers.
02-02-2021, 07:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I use the godox v1. No complaints

K3 and kp
02-02-2021, 08:41 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Hi

Welcome!

Since getting a KP I’ve much less use of external flash - use of higher ISO values has replaced use of flash in many settings.

02-02-2021, 08:51 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Hi

It might help for people to know what applications you want to use external flash for.
02-02-2021, 08:52 PM - 1 Like   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

It is a big subject! Here are a few questions to narrow things down:
  • What is your goal and/or intended subject(s)
  • Is your intent for single-flash, on-camera?
  • Will you be wanting to do off-camera flash? If so, do you want the option for contribution from two or more flashes?
  • Are you interested in manual technique or is P-TTL* auto flash exposure important?

The last is a bit of a trick question in that options are clear for single flash with your K-3, either on or off-camera and not as clear for more involved lighting.

Steve

* P-TTL is a Pentax technology for flash exposure control using through-the-lens light measurement.
02-02-2021, 09:51 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Strobist loves godex and says a little about it. Strobist: Hot-Shoe Go-To: The Godox TT600
Not sure how current it is. I have cactus and it works well minus high speed synch and a few other specialty features.
02-15-2021, 05:17 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Another nod for Godox/Adorama Flashpoint (the latter is basically the same thing, but with easier support).
02-15-2021, 05:28 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Both Yongnuo and Neewer have non-dedicated flashes at reasonable prices, since you mention you are on a budget.
02-15-2021, 07:58 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Not sure how current it is.
It is a nice generic speedlight with good power and built-in RF wireless allowing limited control (IIRC...sync, zoom, strength, and multi) from a Godox/Flashpoint master/controller.

Steve
02-20-2021, 06:38 PM - 1 Like   #14
G&R

(University budget)
If you are looking at a used flash then beware of voltage. Some vintage flashes can apparently dump over 200v into the camera and fry a modern DSLR. I have just bought a multimeter to test a vintages flash; if it comes out around 6v it should be safe to hook up to a camera. Even if it passes my lab test I would put it on a cheap DSRL before letting a K3 anywhere near it.
02-21-2021, 06:56 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by G&R Quote
Some vintage flashes can apparently dump over 200v into the camera and fry a modern DSLR.
Indeed. Some are even on the wrong side of 300v, and it is real not apparent . You need to measure with a digital meter though, because the high voltage at the shoe is on a very small capacitor and an analog meter will misleadingly pull the voltage down, possibly making it look safe when it isn't..

The Botzilla web site (link below) is a starting point. Some people say you can use a high voltage flash unit with an intermediate adaptor, but don't bother, just get a unit that is safe in the first place. There are thousands of safe units on Ebay so cheap they are almost free, while those adaptors cost significant money. And with an unsafe flash unit around, there is always a chance that someone trying to be helpful will fit it straight on your camera and switch it on.

Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages