Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2021, 01:58 AM   #1

Pentax mx : irregular shutter sound

I got my pentax mx from my dad but when I tested it, I noticed an irregular shutter sound coming from it. Is this sound normal, if not how to fix it?.
Thanks.

(You can hear a sound from attached video)

---------- Post added 02-05-21 at 02:17 AM ----------

20210205_155425.mp4 - Google Drive
Link for video.

02-05-2021, 02:38 AM   #2
Pentaxian

It almost looks as though the mirror is reverberating off the roof of the mirror box. How does the foam bumper look?
02-05-2021, 07:57 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

I have two MX's. one is older with the serial number starting with 4 and the other is quite minty with the serial starting with 9. The newer one sounds just like yours does, with a metallic echo in the end while the older one sounds more well dampened. I recently changed the sealing on both but the sound is still more pronounced on the newer model. I have checked and the one making the rough sound doesn't have any exposure problems, so I'd say just bear with it!
02-05-2021, 08:47 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by shyrsio Quote
I have two MX's. one is older with the serial number starting with 4 and the other is quite minty with the serial starting with 9. The newer one sounds just like yours does, with a metallic echo in the end while the older one sounds more well dampened. I recently changed the sealing on both but the sound is still more pronounced on the newer model. I have checked and the one making the rough sound doesn't have any exposure problems, so I'd say just bear with it!
I've two MX's too and when winding one on it makes almost a high pitch bell-ringing type 'ding' - had it serviced and was told that each have their quirks and they like being used regularly. No detriment in any way to its performance.

02-05-2021, 11:36 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

I don't have an MX, but its shutter is similar to that in the K-series and Spotmatic series. I have three Spotmatics (SP, SPII, and SP F) and all may "ping" to a certain degree at some speeds when empty and less so when loaded with film and lens attached. My KX "pings" all the time, but less obviously when actually in use taking photos; this was the case even after a full CLA.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-05-2021 at 11:45 AM.