Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2021, 04:12 PM   #1

Camera wont focus or take pictures with DA* 300mm lens attached

I tried two different cameras but neither one would shoot or auto focus with the DA* 300 lens. I tried cleaning the contacts but that didn't help. Any ideas.

Who would you recommend to repair the lens in needed? I like to get it back before I'm to old to use it.

Thanks, Bob

02-05-2021, 04:44 PM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
follow the link below to find possible businesses which might be able to help out:

QuoteQuote:
US
KEH.com (GA, Most current and vintage gear)
Eric Hendrickson (Vintage cameras, Current and vintage lenses)
Precision Camera (Authorized to perform warranty service, NC)
Advance Camera (Most current and vintage gear, Portland, OR)
General Camera Repair (LA, CA)
Garry's Camera Repair (IL, select film SLRs)
International Camera Repair (LA, CA)
Halcyon Cameras | Vintage Camera Restoration (Vintage film cameras, San Diego, CA)
Camera Repair Japan (Services Sigma lenses and more, Atlanta, GA)
Allied Camera (MN, manual film cameras)
Bill Rogers Camera (LV, NV, film-era cameras and lenses)
Phototronic (Topeka, KS, film and digital camera repair)
Lezot's Camera Center (VT, film SLRs / medium format)

Read more at: Pentax Repair Facilities (Wordwide listing) - Page 9 - PentaxForums.com

I have used Phototronic here in Topeka KS

https://phototronic.biz/

he is a one person shop opened noon to 6 PM M - F

give him call

(785) 233 0231
02-05-2021, 04:50 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by brbob1 Quote
I tried two different cameras but neither one would shoot or auto focus with the DA* 300 lens. I tried cleaning the contacts but that didn't help. Any ideas.

Who would you recommend to repair the lens in needed? I like to get it back before I'm to old to use it.

Thanks, Bob
Your lens may have a failed SDM, will the camera shoot in manual focus? If the camera is in AF.S it won't fire without being in focus. So if it fires in MF it's most likely the lens. How long have you had the lens.

I have not personally dealt with a failed SDM so I have no experience. One of the members here, Uncle Vanya can convert the lens to screw drive, which is a whole lot cheaper than repairing the SDM.
02-05-2021, 04:51 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It may be failed sdm. Does it manually focus?

02-05-2021, 04:51 PM   #5
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks, Bob

which two camera bodies did you try?

any issues with other AF lenses?

any issues with any other SDM lenses?
02-05-2021, 06:14 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

or just try those ways which various users have done to "wake up" the sdm, including mounting lens to cam and then switching the cam on and off many times over etc.
02-05-2021, 06:37 PM   #7
Pentaxian

My DA*300 did this a handful of times over the years but always recovered on its own until the SDM finally did die (I never figured out what made it work again - unmount/remount, clean contacts, cycle power, play with the AF/MF switch etc.). Since I had it repaired about a year and a half ago it's been fine. I did convert it to screw drive for a while before I had it repaired and that might be a good experiment. There's good info on this site about doing that.

02-05-2021, 06:56 PM   #8

Original Poster
Camera wont focus or take pictures with DA* 300mm lens attached

It does work in Manual mode. I have a K-70 and a K-50. No problems with the other lens. I'll try some of the "fixes" mentioned and let you all know if it works. I bought used last summer so no warranty and I have no idea how old it is. It was in mint condition.

Thanks everyone.
02-05-2021, 07:14 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It does work in Manual mode. I have a K-70 and a K-50. No problems with the other lens. I'll try some of the "fixes" mentioned and let you all know if it works. I bought used last summer so no warranty and I have no idea how old it is. It was in mint condition.

Thanks everyone.
If you have an older body than those you can convert it to screw drive.
02-07-2021, 12:45 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Have look at the tabs on the lens for the SDM. One became unstuck on my DA*300F4 and the camera could not focus and did could not take an exposure as well. It has happened to quite a few forum members as well. Although it shares the SDM contacts with other lenses, it seems to be a problem confined to this lens
02-07-2021, 07:20 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Basie Quote
Have look at the tabs on the lens for the SDM. One became unstuck on my DA*300F4 and the camera could not focus and did could not take an exposure as well. It has happened to quite a few forum members as well. Although it shares the SDM contacts I with other lenses, it seems to be a problem confined to this lens
Damage to the power zoom / lens motor power connector on the lens can stop internal motor lenses. That’s a good idea to check them - particularly with intermittent activity.
02-10-2021, 08:11 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
If you have an older body than those you can convert it to screw drive.
I'm thinking of buying an older camera that can be sed with PK tether. But I can't find the software anywhere. Most links take me to "Michigan Timber" ???
any Idea where to get a copy?
02-10-2021, 09:18 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
with PK tether.
You don't need PK tether any more.

Create a text file containing the line [OPEN_DEBUG_MENU]

Name the file MODSET.??? where the ??? is correct for your camera (see below)

copy the file to the root directory ( highest level on the card, ie. not in a folder)

turn the camera on with either the card door open or the appropriate button pressed (see below)

scroll down the debug menu to LENS ROM DAT CAMERA=>SD
(NOTE CAMERA=>SD)

press ok

Turn the camera off. The file LENSEEP.LNS should now be on the SD card. This is the file you need to edit then put back using the above steps but selecting LENS ROM DAT SD=>CAMERA instead.

Note 1, I don't have the details of editing the LENSEEP.LNS file handy at the moment.
Note 2, I've only used the K7 to do the conversion but just checked the Kx and it extracts the LENSEEP.LNS file.

Camera modsets:

Km (v1.10) in the form of the file name is MODSET.464, Switch on while pressing the "Delete" button
K2000 (v1.10) in the form of the file name is MODSET.482, Switch on while pressing the "Delete" button
Kx (v1.03) in the form of filenames MODSET.492, Switch on while pressing the "Exposure correction button (+/-)" button
K10D (v1.10) in the form of filenames MODSET.421, Switch on with the card door open
K10D (v1.20-v1.30) in the form of filenames MODSET.TXT, Switch on with the card door open
GX10 (v1.10) in the form of filenames MODSET.429 Switch on with the card door open
GX10 (v1.20-v1.30) in the form of filenames MODSET.TXT Switch on with the card door open
GX20 (v1.01, v1.03) in the form of filenames MODSET.454 Switch on with the card door open
K20D (v1.03) in the form of filenames MODSET.442 Switch on with the card door open
K200D (v1.00.00.03) in the form of filenames MODSET.445 Switch on with the card door open
K7 (v1.01) in the form of filenames MODSET.474 Switch on with the card door open
02-10-2021, 10:37 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The process is slightly different using the k100d and k100d super but very similar. If anyone needs instructions for the k100d let me know.
02-10-2021, 10:40 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm thinking of buying an older camera that can be sed with PK tether. But I can't find the software anywhere. Most links take me to "Michigan Timber" ???
any Idea where to get a copy?
A word of warning. I’m unclear if the power zoom/ sdm contacts are needed for conversion. My brain thinks they don’t have any effect on conversion. The reading and writing of the lens files should be done over the serial data pin. However I’m not certain.